• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DMckduck97

What have people done regarding handing notice in at there current jobs do you have medical then hand in or do it before
Never hand your notice in until you've got a contract offer that you can sign and isn't conditional.

You never know what can happen and your old employer may not let you withdraw your notice.

Jordan4321

with regards to medical do we get given dates to choose from or is it a set date and it can’t be moved.
When I done mine You got given a fixed date and time but I’m sure if the time doesn’t suit you, you could arrange for another one. But I believe network rail are doing the medicals now so it could have changed since then

Luis

I interviewed on 24th April for a GS2 role at Ipswich signal box. However, I have yet to receive the outcome of the interview. Does anyone know the general time frame for NR getting back in touch? I’m getting antsy, obviously

Bradts

I interviewed on 24th April for a GS2 role at Ipswich signal box. However, I have yet to receive the outcome of the interview. Does anyone know the general time frame for NR getting back in touch? I’m getting antsy, obviously
Hi mate,

Was 6 days after interview for me.

Buckshee

Had interview Friday 26th April then got phone call Tuesday 30th April with job offer

offtherails1

There is no signal box at Ipswich and hasnt been for many many years. Its a pool offer, possibly for a G4 Flexi role. Covering Stowmarket gate box, Parkeston signal box, and Colchester NYL G4 link.

cubemackie

Hello everyone.

i have tried finding the answer to my question but haven’t been able to find it, if this is a repeat question I do apologise. I work in Signalling maintenance and there are a couple of Signaller jobs due to come up in the next year or two upstairs. They are grade 8, I’ve applied to a Signaller job before but failed the initial aptitude tests.

Is there anywhere I can practice these for the next time i apply when my 6 month cooling off period is up?

Many thanks.

ZackCulross

Hello everyone.

i have tried finding the answer to my question but haven’t been able to find it, if this is a repeat question I do apologise. I work in Signalling maintenance and there are a couple of Signaller jobs due to come up in the next year or two upstairs. They are grade 8, I’ve applied to a Signaller job before but failed the initial aptitude tests.

Is there anywhere I can practice these for the next time i apply when my 6 month cooling off period is up?

Many thanks.
as far as im aware there is no cooling off period, you can keep applying, if you pass the tests they will be kept for 6 months so if you are unsuccesful you wont need to redo test if you apply again.
as for the tests, i cant recall seeing anywhere to practice, but they are straight forward, a trick for the dot one is a couple pieces of blue tac to keep track, other ones are more simple.

cubemackie

Thanks, the dot one is the one I struggled with when it was combined with a question in between. Any tips on how the blue tac can indicate the order of the dots as well as the ones selected? Thanks for the speedy reply.

ZackCulross

Thanks, the dot one is the one I struggled with when it was combined with a question in between. Any tips on how the blue tac can indicate the order of the dots as well as the ones selected? Thanks for the speedy reply.
pretty straight forward, should be able to remember the comination and which one is next, if not you could write 1,2,3... on the blue tac or colour them.
but honestly im not questioning anything, but if you arent able to get them in order, is this a good jump for you ?
looking at screens with multiple trains moving and possible faults etc, could get tough going, but that just a thought
good luck mate, all the best in the future applying.

official.h12

Hi,

Could someone provide details about South Tottenham Signal Box work location. Where does the Signaller control up to? Around how many trains per hour? Adjacent Signallers? Is it NX type signalling? ETC

Thanks

official.h12

Hi,

Could someone provide details about Acton Wells Signal Box. Where does the Signaller control up to? Around how many trains per hour? Adjacent Signallers? Is it NX type signalling? Do the Signallers work an 8 or 12 hour roster? ETC

Thanks

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Hi,

Could someone provide details about South Tottenham Signal Box work location. Where does the Signaller control up to? Around how many trains per hour? Adjacent Signallers? Is it NX type signalling? ETC

Thanks
Not 100% as I'm not a signaller , but I used to drive the route. The box is literally on the overground station. As for where they control to I don't know .

NRnoob

Hi mate, one on this as a heads up, just had my medical come back, took 10 days.

I received an email saying congratulations, giving me my employee number and wait for training essentially.

Just letting you know as the wait was making me think I had failed for some reason.
Hi mate. Yes, I figured that was the case. I'm still waiting for my medical result. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get an email. That would be around 10 working days.

Did you get a date for training or start date etc so you can hand your notice in?

I'll admit the wait has been horrible. Been through a lot of emotions and second guessing whether I was going to make it lol. Fingers crossed I hear back tomorrow.