• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Anyone noticed anecdotally another uptick in passenger numbers

Peter Sarf

Established Member
There has not been a journey of over 50 miles that I have taken in the last 12 to 18 months where there hasn't been some form of disruption and a good few under the 50 or 60 mile threshold as well, especially when said journey involves Thameslink in or out of North Kent or the Elizabeth line
Has somebody said above, it's a minor miracle that passenger numbers have climbed back largely to pre-pandemic levels, somehow doubt they will do a great deal of growing while the current order persists
I think one concern is that the big loss in numbers has been travel associated with season tickets so there is a nice wedge of income up front gone missing. It is more a rise in off peak travel compared to a loss of peak travel.

Going back in time to the invention of the cheap day return. It was always a device to fill underused off peak services. Perhaps we have at last achieved that - bye bye off peak returns (I hope not).

I am seeing a pressure for people to return to working from work.
I've been around London early this Sunday morning. No Marathon or similar. Grey, cold, wet and windy. Yet the trains are notably busy. District Line from Earls Court to Paddington, a less-frequented branch, was well-filled. Elizabeth arriving at Paddington at 0900 from Reading, not Heathrow, full and standing (including one with a real Penny Farthing bicycle!).

I did notice the trains well-filled but the buses empty.
My bold - I do hope it was a folding bike !.
Hopefully. Another part of the problem is the shorter trains just outside of the peaks, I'm finding it can be close to full and standing on the five car services.
A lot of my journey are off peak Monday-Friday.
East Croydon to Victoria 10:00-12:00 these are getting very crowded meaning platform dwell time at East Croydon gets extended. These seem to be mainly 8 car services where 12car would have been the norm before Covid. So would need these services to be 150% loaded to justify return to 12 coaches. Obviously some would be extended first leaving others to catch up later.
Back to East Croydon from London, usually 18:00 or later, I find both Thames link and Victoria routes are busy, possibly Thameslink worse.

Also yesterday (Saturday) East Croydon to Victoria at about 17:40 8car was standing passengers. I really struggled to get from the rear to the front. Got a seat at Clapham Junction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Interesting written Government reply to adjusting the timetable as passenger numbers rise, make of it what you will

Lord Davies of Gower
Conservative
Life peer
Lords

Answered on​

29 April 2024
As the pandemic has changed travel habits, train operators are using this opportunity to reassess their services to provide rail timetables that respond to new passenger travel patterns, and carefully balance cost, capacity and performance.
Timetables should be demand-led and built with flexibility in mind, so if passenger numbers increase as we continue to recover from the pandemic, we can look to accommodate additional services. Where operators have modified their timetables, the changes are kept under review and, where appropriate, adjusted to reflect fluctuations in demand. Additional services will be included in the upcoming timetable change.

Taunton

Established Member
I think in the short term the timetable is broadly adequate, but the number of vehicles provided is something that can be more rapidly addressed. In particular this applies to situations where passengers who by this stage have actually been sold tickets are being left behind due to gross under capacity, while stock is left in sidings and depots.

The railway used to be much better at this. I recall on the Wirral electric lines in past times it was a local decision, almost by the hour and certainly on the day before, to judge whether weekend services should be 3-car or 6-car. If under-provided, there was a further plan on how to get the extras out. Nowadays such ability by staff on the ground seems swept away, someone at HQ budgeted their vehicle mileage, likely for the year, someone else has devised a minimal-staff maintenance plan to fit that, and it seems it must not be touched whatever arises on the day.

All through lockdown we had full length trains run as empty stock because they were "justified for essential workers", despite the fact that not only had the regular passengers deserted them, but so had the essential workers as well, who found that with much quieter roads the car was better. Finally coming to a reduced operation, just as the passengers progressively come back, it seems the organisation is typically years behind the demand.