• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bad ride quality in some 80x carriages

AM9

Veteran Member
DOH I am just a casual observer and occasional traveller but I should have known that the 302s are bi mode and the 397s are pure electric. Does this mean that the 397s are very bad riding also. We travelled on the 12 22 from piccadilly on 22/4 and the 10 17 from haymarket on the 25/4, it was coach D on this train that gave the rough ride, but both trains had the awful underfloor banging. I am sure that one of you guys that no all about diagrams could confirm that both trains were 397s.
I think you mean 802s, - the 302 were the LT & S MK1 ac EMUs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

farwest

I had a non stop ride between Bristol and Reading at Easter last year and the thumps from under the carriage and the rough riding . I could not wait to get off. I drive now.

nctd2306

I travelled on two 800s yesterday from Reading to Paddington and back, a stretch of track that we all know has had it's recent issues and often contributes to rough ride
On both journeys, the ride quality was as smooth as I'd expect from any high speed train, at no point did I experience any of the issues described here, really goes to show it seems to be pot luck whether the unit you're on rides well or not. For those interested it was 800310 and 800321 (which wasn't completely immune from issues, it was stuck in diesel mode and didn't get above 110mph :lol:)

starlight73

I am sure that one of you guys that no all about diagrams could confirm that both trains were 397s.

I’m not somebody who knows much about diagrams… however, I was curious, so had a look on Real Time Trains.

For this week, Monday’s 1222 to Edinburgh was operated by an 802, and Thursday’s 1017 to Manchester will be a 397. Data for the dates you travelled isn’t available on there but it’s likely to have been the same? Someone who knows more than me might want to jump in!

Last edited:

mikeb42

Data for the dates you travelled isn’t available on there but...
It is (for now) but requires a bit of fiddling...

1S56 1204 Manchester Airport to Edinburgh Departing on 22nd April 2024: 802206

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G67386/2024-04-22/detailed

1M85 1011 Edinburgh to Manchester Airport Departing on 25th April 2024: 379009

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:G67323/2024-04-25/detailed

No personal experience of either on those routes but lots of 80x on the Great Western. Ride issues seem much less noticeable down there recently. It's still always a bit jittery and hard, but I've experienced no violent oscillation recently nor any where near as much banging against end stops etc.

On the basis of uninformed guesswork, it feels like a lot of knackered dampers have been replaced or upgraded recently. Prior to this apparent improvement, unpleasant ride was a regular feature along with very occasional alarmingly violent instability.