• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool horse taxis

randyrippley

Established Member
I spent a few hours in Blackpool yesterday and noticed that another piece of transport history seems to be going extinct with almost no-one noticing.
Nearly all the old traditional wooden-bodied horse taxis have gone, replaced by what are best described as Disneyfied fairy princess "canary cage" iron/steel bodied designs. Out of all the horse cabs I saw, only one was traditionally styled. The rest (I would guess at 30) were all "fairy princesses".
I guess it's no surprise - given the choice families are going to choose something that looks like it's come out of Cinderella or some other film, and I guess the new ones are cheaper to maintain, but it does seem unfortunate that something else is being lost with no awareness that it's happening

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums