• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cardiff Central to Birmingham New Street .. which TOC to use ?

Willie Bee

My wife and I are thinking of making a booking from CDF to BHM for September

No seats are available yet, but I was looking at an earlier date for ideas

It would be on a Tuesday, leaving Cardiff at about 12:00.

There seem to be two options .. (1) XCountry the whole way, or (2) Transport for Wales as far as Cheltenham Spa, then XCountry to Birmingham, both at about the same price.

I have heard bad things about CrossCountry, so I am wondering, which route would folk here recommend.

Can you book actual seats on XCountry and Transport for Wales

thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Cardiff to Birmingham with XC is a 170 DMU, nothing special but not normally crammed because it hasn’t come from Plymouth or wherever beforehand. I would myself use this and in no way consider changing to a potentially crammed XC service at Cheltenham.

Kite159

Veteran Member
A third option depending if timings work is TfW to Gloucester/Cheltenham changing to GWR to Worcester Foregate Street for a West Midlands service to Birmingham New Street.

Although will take a lot longer than the direct XC Flymo, just keep an eye on the inbound working as if it's late they get spun at Newport with limited announcements at Cardiff.

duffield

Established Member
It's worth noting that the XC Cardiff-Birmingham-Nottingham services have periodically suffered a large number of cancellations/truncations, mainly between Cardiff and Birmingham, "due to a shortage of drivers". The cancellations/truncations are typically posted on the XC journeycheck website late at night for the following day.

It's important to note that as the train is typically not entirely cancelled but just truncated (the Birmingham to Nottingham section still often runs), the changes usually show up under the "Other train service updates" heading, not the "Cancellations" heading. You need to check both headings to be sure.

The current situation appears to be somewhat improved, at some points a few months back up to half the services were regularly truncated or cancelled, but recently it seems like just the odd service.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Or a longer way round but via Shrewsbury is an option. Especially with a nice MK IV on the Cardiff to Shrewsbury section.

Spaceship323

just keep an eye on the inbound working as if it's late they get spun at Newport with limited announcements at Cardiff.
Or if it's just a few minutes late the XC will depart from platform 4 (where it arrives), meaning a quick dash across from P1 where you were waiting for the scheduled departure!

Last edited:

Willie Bee

Or a longer way round but via Shrewsbury is an option. Especially with a nice MK IV on the Cardiff to Shrewsbury section.
Just had a look here

For a random Tuesday in June at about noon, it would be £31.60 (for my wife and I) via Shrewsbury then "Sandwell & Dudley"

For the one-stop journey, ie via Shrewsbury only, it's about £50

Both are pretty good deals and no XCountry involved .. a bigger bonus

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Presumably you could gain a similar experience but an overall shorter journey time by changing at Hereford onto the WMR service into New Street?

ValleyLines142

Established Member
A third option depending if timings work is TfW to Gloucester/Cheltenham changing to GWR to Worcester Foregate Street for a West Midlands service to Birmingham New Street.
Connections at Foregate Street from the GWR onto the direct West Midlands to New Street is very tight, so not advisable.

jfollows

Established Member
If you want the flexibility, an "any permitted" ticket is valid via Hereford & Worcester, also via Gloucester, also via Bristol, but not valid via Shrewsbury.