• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 701 'Aventra' trains for South Western Railway

Dan G

This couldn't be further from the truth.

A reduced rate during training - yes, but once productive length of service has no link to rate of pay. Other non SWR TOCs may have different pay scales.
Are you saying train drivers don't get annual increments? No pay progression?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Are you saying train drivers don't get annual increments? No pay progression?

Correct. Only where agreed as part of pay deals - many haven’t had an increase since 2019.

Some have a lower rate for first year drivers, but not SWR AIUI.

DMckduck97

Correct. Only where agreed as part of pay deals - many haven’t had an increase since 2019.

Some have a lower rate for first year drivers, but not SWR AIUI.
Correct, SWR drivers go straight on the full wack as soon as they are PQ.

Obviously some depots get paid more due to location/retention allowances but I suspect that is standard practice across the industry?

PG

Established Member
I think it is only in the Civil service that you get pay rises by just sitting tight regardless of performance or promotion.
IIRC most NHS grades get annual increments too.

With the heat starting to approach us, we’ll soon get a taste of the air conditioning on the 701
Let's hope it functions better than the 158s <D

PG

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the 455s have/had no AC, 158s had AC which later got banned (some units had it re-engineered) due to containing CFCs, which damaged the Ozone Layer and had a strong Greenhouse effect.

Hopefully the 701s don't destroy the ozone layer :)
Although correct I was actually getting at the re-engineered AC being prone to fail altogether creating an in-train Greenhouse effect! i.e. worse than a 455 which never had AC.

MCR247

Established Member
I've noticed that the 701s have a unique motor deceleration sound that none of the other Aventras have, something you often hear on light rail systems.
Listen to the two videos at the timestamp, it's the two tone beep noise.
Do 701s use regenerative braking? That could explain it