• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crafting a fictional timetable

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I have an idea for a 3 mile branch line in South London based on the Addiscombe branch. The branch will have two intermediate stations. I’m trying to figure out what the time timetable would be like. I imagine it’ll take about 11 real minutes to get from end to end. Assuming a train leaves on end of the branch at 10:00, it’ll reach the destination at 10:11.

How much waiting time will the train need before reversing? I assume it’ll be around 5 mins, meaning the train will arrive back at 10:27. If this branch has a half hourly service, wouldn’t one train on the branch be cutting it fine considering it’ll only have a 3 min turn around upon its return? I’m trying to work out whether it would be more realistic to have two trains operating for an half-hourly service. Perhaps more in the peak when I envision a 20 min interval with some services extended through to Victoria.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does the branch line that you're asking about only have single track (with, or without, passing loops) or is it multiple track?

MaxB

Based on the 1968 T/T, off peak trains left Addiscombe at 17 and 47, returning from Elmers End at 37 and 07. The journey was 5 minutes but only one intermediate stop (Woodside).

DucksGoQuack

You could use the Overground Romford - Upminster line as inspiration.

It's ~3 miles long - Single track, 3 stops in total, No passing loops, just a EMU shuttle service, runs every 30 min like clockwork.
Drivers gets 4 min to change ends at Upminster and 6 min at Romford, believe staff facilities are at Romford.

One trip in 10 min, Complete rounder 24 min.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
Thanks for all your help.

I've decided that all services will run through to Victoria, calling at the fictional stop of Longhedge. That should double the journey time meaning two trains will be required. Using the draft fictional timetable I've created, both trains will pass each other at Clapham Junction, which will be the physical end of the layout. If I use 2 car EMUs, I could increase the operation complexity by splitting and joining an extra 2-HAP/class 466 during peak hours.

All I need now is a house to build it all in!