• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DLR B23 Stock (CAF Inneo)

Kay_M

Back in October, TfL Board papers said 25 were built

I am guessing must be nearer 35 out of the 54 built now (although built doesn't mean have completed tests and ready for shipping).

From memory TfL asked for delayed shipping as the company building the sidings went bust, so didn't have enough space to receive them.
I see. Cheers for that

If this question has been answered already then my apologies however when the B23 stock has fully rolled out will the Stratford to Canary Wharf/Lewisham branch remain as it is with two cars using the existing B07 stock or will it be the full length B23 stock.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I see. Cheers for that

If this question has been answered already then my apologies however when the B23 stock has fully rolled out will the Stratford to Canary Wharf/Lewisham branch remain as it is with two cars using the existing B07 stock or will it be the full length B23 stock.
The former, its been reported.

Thirteen

The B07s I suspect will probably be temporarily taken off out of service for a refurb once the B23s are fully in service

ijmad

Established Member
I think I'd rather go frequency over train length, personally speaking.

DLR being an isolated system with mostly flying junctions and system-wide CBTC control makes that a much easier proposition than the main lines.

Perhaps at some point in the next decade when the next DLR extension finds funding (Thamesmead? who knows), they can acquire a few extra trains along with whatever is needed for the new branch.

In the mean time, having the B23s will be an absolute step change in capacity for the DLR. Particularly the all-day Stratford to Lewisham service and more trains to Beckton will be welcome, as well as more full length trains overall since the B23s by design will obviously always be full length.

Last edited:

Thirteen

I think I'd rather go frequency over train length, personally speaking.

DLR being an isolated system with mostly flying junctions and system-wide CBTC control makes that a much easier proposition than the main lines.

Perhaps at some point in the next decade when the next DLR extension finds funding (Thamesmead? who knows), they can acquire a few extra trains along with whatever is needed for the new branch.

In the mean time, having the B23s will be an absolute step change in capacity for the DLR. Particularly the all-day Stratford to Lewisham service and more trains to Beckton will be welcome, as well as more full length trains overall since the B23s by design will obviously always be full length.
They have 54 B23s and part of those will be used for the proposed extension.

ijmad

Established Member
They have 54 B23s and part of those will be used for the proposed extension.

As I understood it, 33 trains was the original order to replace the B9Xs/B2Ks, then 10 trains were ordered for network growth, and 11 more were funded through the Government’s Housing Infrastructure Fund but that wasn't for Thamesmead, it was for extra capacity in the Thames Wharf area. ICBW but I don't think any of the ordered 54 trains area earmarked for Thamesmead. Here's a source backing this up.

Though I suppose it's possible that only a couple of extra trains would be needed for relatively short extension, which might be possible to find through fleet reliability improvements.