• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway new stock

91130nut

I also visited the subway today and can confirm that 125 was indeed working with 205 and 124. 307 was also working. I noted 5 sets on each circle in the morning (1015 to 1045 ish), with an extra set on each circle in the afternoon. Of the units in your list, I did not see 107, 111 or 128 so maybe they were replaced by 307 ? More importantly though, I finally caught up with 118 which allowed me to clear the old 'uns.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mothball

I also visited the subway today and can confirm that 125 was indeed working with 205 and 124. 307 was also working. I noted 5 sets on each circle in the morning (1015 to 1045 ish), with an extra set on each circle in the afternoon. Of the units in your list, I did not see 107, 111 or 128 so maybe they were replaced by 307 ? More importantly though, I finally caught up with 118 which allowed me to clear the old 'uns.
Thanks for a confirmation on 125.

There was 2 service suspensions due to failed trains during my visit and it was only later I caught 307 so quite possible.

Buzby

Surely the requirement for audio announcements relates to blind people, not wheelchair users?
It’s under the same banner of ‘special requirements’ - I recall back in the G1 days staff advised visually impaired travellers NOT to use the Subway in case they inadvertently came to grief on the stairs or on the platform edge. In those days there were at least 2 staff members on the platform - in the control booth at the platform end and a ticket collector - all who could (then) have offered assistance. When G2 stock arrived the need for platform staff evaporated and they only inhabited the ticket office at ground level. if I was impaired in that way I certainly wouldn’t use the Subway.

jagardner1984

It seems there are some ongoing infrastructure / stock issues ....

There is commentary about the different running times of the new stock - has anything been done to address the ludicrous delay in door opening ? It is hard to see how the overall dwell times cannot increase in comparison to the G2 stock, which must impact on the overall service frequency, which now seems to have dropped to a 6 minute service.

Attachments

• GNAt6BsXAAAxjIu.jpeg
    GNAt6BsXAAAxjIu.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 32

DanNCL

Established Member
It’s under the same banner of ‘special requirements’ - I recall back in the G1 days staff advised visually impaired travellers NOT to use the Subway in case they inadvertently came to grief on the stairs or on the platform edge. In those days there were at least 2 staff members on the platform - in the control booth at the platform end and a ticket collector - all who could (then) have offered assistance. When G2 stock arrived the need for platform staff evaporated and they only inhabited the ticket office at ground level. if I was impaired in that way I certainly wouldn’t use the Subway.
A lot has changed since the 1970s. For a start offering assistance to those who need it is now a legal requirement, as is making reasonable adjustments. The Subway already has all other other required adjustments for blind passengers such as tactile platform edges and announcements are a legal requirement, there’s no excuse for them to be missing.

jagardner1984

The above
A lot has changed since the 1970s. For a start offering assistance to those who need it is now a legal requirement, as is making reasonable adjustments. The Subway already has all other other required adjustments for blind passengers such as tactile platform edges and announcements are a legal requirement, there’s no excuse for them to be missing.
Don't disagree of course - but given the current reliability, with multiple service suspensions and evacuations each week, as highlighted in the tweet above, from last night - it is I think reasonable for SPT to have some reticence, in the best interests of those passengers, about advertising the service as more accessible, when the platforms are too narrow, there are virtually no lifts, frequent escalator breakdowns, no auto announcements and an environment so noisy it is hard to hear any that are made, and screens which are either static and useless, on train, or now even the "Next Arrival" screens have been replaced by "6 MINUTE SERVICE", (also wrong) or more and more frequently, off.

The new trains are a step forward (fold down seats, illuminated door flashers) but they are far from a magic bullet in terms of accessibility.

No excuse for not pursuing every avenue they possibly can (announcements etc) but I can at least follow the logic as to not wanting to put passengers in a position where there is more than a marginal possibility (currently) of a breakdown and a undignified evacuation.

The real solution was a full rebuild, and the often mooted extensions .... but as often explored, that was not deemed viable. The current and future system has definite, permanent blocks to full accessibility, which personally as a passenger makes me more than a little uncomfortable.

D6130

Established Member
I'm a wee bit surprised that nobody has picked-up on yesterday evening's high-profile failure - and inter-station evacuation - of one of the new units. Sorry I can't do a link - but there were numerous media reports - including from BBC Scotland and STV - of passengers being evacuated through the leading cab and led along the track to Cowcaddens station.... including a party of students who had been drinking a fair bit, by all accounts.

Spsf3232

I'm a wee bit surprised that nobody has picked-up on yesterday evening's high-profile failure - and inter-station evacuation - of one of the new units. Sorry I can't do a link - but there were numerous media reports - including from BBC Scotland and STV - of passengers being evacuated through the leading cab and led along the track to Cowcaddens station.... including a party of students who had been drinking a fair bit, by all accounts.
It was four posts above this one...