• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How difficult is it to arrive or leave at all timetabled platforms. 5 year project to achieve this.

All platforms

Day 352: Saturday 11/05/2024 - Basingstoke to Whitchurch (Hants) - £5.70 - Off-peak Return. Basingstoke to Winchfield - £4.05 - Off-peak Return. Basingstoke to Southampton Airport Parkway - £11.45 - Off-peak Return. Basingstoke to Hook - £3.00 - Off-peak Return. Basingstoke to Woking - £10.00 - Evening Out Return. Woking to Petersfield - £10.00 - Evening Out Return. Guildford to Effingham Junction - £4.15 - Evening Out Return. Basingstoke to Winchester - £5.50 - Evening Out Return. CP Basingstoke £5.50.
Total time today 830 mins - time on trains 336 mins and time waiting 494 mins. Stations completed today 7. Total completed 1862. Platforms completed at completed stations 4248. 72.14% complete.

"The yin and the yang"

Back in expensive ticket land today as there is a lot of track needed still in the holy triangle that is Basingstoke, Woking and Guildford. Bit of an awkward start to the day in that the A34 was closed at a most inconvenient spot for a detour and despite my best efforts i was 5 minutes too late for my intended start service to Whitchurch and a rarely used crossover on the way back. Disappointing in that i was 20 minutes ahead beforehand. A swift change of plans and an extra ticket sourced and supplies obtained and i was unexpectedly off to Winchfield on an out and back. The starting point for points East today was P1 so 3 new bits of track were in the bag right from the start as we made our way in a Woking direction. I will be returning to this line later on as it is high time the interim stations are converted to a completed status.

It was going to be very warm later on and the early part of the day on quiet stations continues to be one of the highlights in doing this, and Winchfield was no exception. Back in Basingstoke and back on schedule with a trip to Southampton Parkway to look forward to, though it didn't take long to realise i had made a wrong assumption about the route it would take. Bit of an expensive trip out in hindsight with a fully loaded standing with nose pressed to the glass return part of the deal in a 12 car SW service (and that was in the last carriage!). At least the station is now ticked. Its right next to the Airport and a couple of Turboprops were taxiing out whilst i was there which provided some interest. Boy was the station busy though - and what must it be like in the height of the holiday season?

Not the very best of starts i have had, but it would improve. Once back at Basingstoke, it was a 40min+ wait for an out and back to Hook with the hourly stopping service, and once again arriving and departing from P1. Some revellers left over from the night before in the next carriage seemed to be in party mode still but thankfully nothing too boisterous. Only a short journey though.. Some of the longer distance services do stop at a few of the interim stations so my next departure was from P4 and i was going to be doing 4 linear hops, so Fleet, Farnborough (main) and then Brookwood and Woking. This did mean an hours wait at Farnborough, but in each case today i have had time to wander off the premises and see what the immediate vicinities had to offer. I do like this part of the world, but have never had an opportunity to go exploring. In retrospect perhaps there are better places to spend your time.

I was also trying to keep my latest book going, so being able to sit in the warm with this meant i was kept busy the whole day. I would be doing the other platforms on the way back (Fleet was already completed as i visited P1 a couple of months ago), bur first it was track and crossover time once more. With the line in the Havant area blocked today, services were being turned at Petersfield, but they were fairly empty both out and back and a crossover bonus. Things would now gather pace and once back at Guildford i was off up to Effingham Junction for the first time. Surely a candidate for a carry on film imaginary station name! Its also high time i filled in this corner of the world with more completions but that will have to wait for another visit. Slowly getting there however. The return was into P3 at Guildford and new track for me. There would be more completed track here next morning.

More people watching at Brookwood and Farnborough including a number of teenagers scaling the fences to gain the platform without using a gateline. No surprise to see this unfortunately. It was about this time i realsied i had not done enough due diligence (that's twice now today) and i resolved to keep on the service until Winchester as this was hopefully going to provide a couple of bonus crossovers, which my originally intended route was not. With the P1 starter already in situ, we crossed onto the P2 line, and after we left Basingstoke crossed back again just before Worting Junction. Basingstoke would give up one last prize later on.

With my wasted ticket at the start of the day (Whitchurch) there was some serendipity in that this more than covered my extra trip to Winchester which i had not fully realised i needed a ticket for, but i am still out of pocket without. More of an oversight at the time kind of thing. The downside was another XC trip but at this time of the evening the loading was not too extreme. All that remained was the last out and back and a double crossover from P4 going West and then the third before Worting on yet another XC trip. It was getting dark by now, but i did have time to source a beer bottle from the Co-op before the last trip back to Basingstoke, (and for me) a late check-in at the Farnborough Premier Inn. The targets are reducing and maybe one or two more visits might see me done, and another 7 new stations today was also keeping the main show on the road. Time is short this week so apologies for a report which doesn't sparkle. I will be doing more oddball things tomorrow of course.

BasingstokeDepart
8.24​
*****SWstationsplatforms
WinchfieldArrive
8.35​
P1SWwait 8mcompletedcompleted
WinchfieldDepart
8.43​
P2SW
1​
2​
BasingstokeArrive
8.54​
P1SWwait 26m
BasingstokeDepart
9.21​
P1XC
Southampton Airport ParkwayArrive
9.47​
P2XCwait 23m
Southampton Airport ParkwayDepart
10.10​
P1SW
1​
2​
BasingstokeArrive
10.35​
P3SWwait 49m
BasingstokeDepart
11.24​
P1SW
HookArrive
11.31​
P1SWwait 16m
HookDepart
11.47​
P2SW
1​
2​
BasingstokeArrive
11.55​
P1SWwait 24m
BasingstokeDepart
12.19​
P4SW
FleetArrive
12.28​
P1SWwait 12m
FleetDepart
12.40​
P1SW
1​
2​
Farnborough (Main)Arrive
12.44​
P1SWwait 61m
Farnborough (Main)Depart
13.45​
P1SW
BrookwoodArrive
13.51​
P1SWwait 25m
BrookwoodDepart
14.16​
P1SW
WokingArrive
14.20​
P1SWwait 35m
WokingDepart
14.55​
P5SW
PetersfieldArrive
15.31​
P2SWwait 12m
PetersfieldDepart
15.43​
P2SW
GuildfordArrive
16.33​
P5SWwait 12m
GuildfordDepart
16.45​
P1SW
Effingham JunctionArrive
17.02​
P2SWwait 16m
Effingham JunctionDepart
17.18​
P1SW
1​
2​
GuildfordArrive
17.37​
P3SWwait 12m
GuildfordDepart
17.49​
P5SW
WokingArrive
17.59​
P4SWwait 20m
WokingDepart
18.19​
P5SW
BrookwoodArrive
18.24​
P2SWwait 62m
BrookwoodDepart
19.26​
P2SW
1​
2​
Farnborough (Main)Arrive
19.31​
P2SWwait 13m
Farnborough (Main)Depart
19.44​
P2SW
1​
2​
WinchesterArrive
20.20​
P2SWwait 13m
WinchesterDepart
20.33​
P1XC
BasingstokeArrive
20.47​
P3XCwait 25m
BasingstokeDepart
21.12​
P4XC
WinchesterArrive
21.26​
P2XCwait 30m
WinchesterDepart
21.56​
P1SW
BasingstokeArrive
22.14​
*****SW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All platforms

Day 353: Sunday 12/05/2024 - Guildford to Haslemere - £4.15 - Sunday Out Return. Guildford to Worplesdon - £2.75 - Sunday Out Return. Dartford to Northfleet - £3.40 - Off-peak Return. Dartford London Zones 1-6 Day Travelcard - £11.20 - Off-peak. Car Park - Farningham Road CP Guildford the magnicient sum of £0.90 + Dartford £3.50.
Total time today 951 mins - time on trains 487 mins and time waiting 464 mins. Stations completed today 7. Total completed 1869. Platforms completed at completed stations 4274. 72.41% complete.

The yan and the ying"

Mostly things went to plan today compared to yesterday, and that makes everything so much easier somehow. Even the thing that didn't go quite to plan brought with it an unexpected bonus in its place.

Just a short hop in the scheme of things to start from Guildford and utilising the first service of the day which would be departing from P3 in a Southwards direction. I was pretty much the only person mooching about at 6.30am and it was surprising to see all lines (apart from P3) full with stopovers from the night before. Our service rolled in with a few minutes to spare which meant all 7 lines were now blocked, which is a first for me. Also a first was the need to go one over and then two back at Guildford on two separate bits of track here (or vica versa of course). There is no direct way to access the Down Main from P3 as this track crosses direct to the Up Main, which means a crossover in the opposite direction is also needed to do so. Who knew...

I chose to go to Haslemere on a very quiet service for this unusal track combo before returning to find pretty much all the stock had moved from the platforms in the intervening 90 minutes. I was also going to go to Worplesdon and the 8.23 would be departing from P2 and so another triple crossover (technically a single and a double crossover) would also be ticked, which means that the daunting requirements here are mainly done now, with most of the rest needed on the line down from Wanborough whioch shouldn't prove too tricky. Worplesdon early morning was a delight with enough time to have a lone but thorough explore, before returning to Guildford and a relocate to Dartford for the rest of the day.

Not the best of days to be doing this with the M25 again closed between J10 and J9. I took a risk that the official detour would be early enough in the day not to be too busy and this proved to be correct albeit it was heading for squeaky bum time at one point. No matter, i arrived in Dartford with a whole 5 mins to spare and waltzed down to the platforms just in time to board the Northfleet shuttle which would be plying its trade today with the track at Gravesend being fettled under an engineering blockade. This time it was an approach crossover before landing in P1, and just enough time to work out where i needed to be to alight by the bridge at Crayford. This was because there was quite a tight window to return to Dartford in order not to blow up my itinerary for the day which had some specific services i need to be on. All went as planned and i was at the correct door and more than enough time to stroll over the bridge before boarding the incoming service. I have been to Crayford before but its not going to win any (good) awards. The incoming service did score me a new crossover as we crossed over to the Up Main before Dartford Junction and into P2. This arrangement would be mirrored for most of the day i think. Not quite so much luck on my next move with a cancellation, which required an alternate service to get me to London Bridge. the P2 start however would work out OK as an alternate crossover was utilised as we effectively rode around an incoming service on the Up Main to gain this ourselves just before Dartford Junction. An uneventful trip into the Capital and time to wander outside in the lovely sunshine as there would be an hours wait. I was almost tempted but £5.50 for a 99 cone was just too much (and rightly so).

The only route i could see in operation at the bays at London Bridge was a half hour service to Caterham which would bring with it an opportunity for me to complete Purley, which i did with the return service from Caterham using P4 today. Back at East Croydon i swapped for an East Grinstead service and a bonus crossover onto the Down Slow before using the link line at South Croydon. Another new station was Upper Warlingham which is as far as you can go in Zone 6 hereabouts. Just a stones throw from Whyteleafe on the Caterham line, Upper Warlingham was majorly hot by now and everyone was seeking the shade.

Probably the main reason for being in London today was the use of P2 at Battersea Park every half hour with so much else nearby seemingly under engineering blockades. I actually used this three times to ensure track was fully completed and also to reposition myself for a turn at Queens Road Peckham on one of the Caterham services. Very pleased this actually happened as the few early morning standard services normally seen have proved too early for me to realistically plan a visit. A very big tick for me then.

Its been a while but i had three easy hits in the form of Selhurst, Norbury and Thornton Heath to complete having spent a very entertaining late evening grabbing the fast platforms early in 2023. The revisit allowed me to finish early as a late running service made the traffic flow between the three stations more efficient. A case where a report of trespasser on the line here had worked in my favour with the resultant line speed reduction. All that remained was a visit to Victoria and a quick transfer to the Dartford train which took its sweet time on an all stops service. Another 7 completed stations, and a whole host of track/crossovers too has meant a very decent conclusion to the weekend. I couldn't bring myself to risk the M25 closure at this time of the evening but the Dartford Crossing was no pushover either - which reminds me i need to go and pay for that still.

A visit to Scotland Thursday and Friday will round out the week nicely, and then a weeks holiday with 2 of my sons will mean i will be out of action railwise for a good 10 days or so. Nowhere near any trains unfortunately....

GuildfordDepart
6.38​
*****SWstationsplatforms
HaslemereArrive
7.00​
P1SWwait 38mcompletedcompleted
HaslemereDepart
7.38​
P1SW
GuildfordArrive
8.00​
P5SWwait 23m