• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

lostwin - BR in the mid 80's

lostwin(m)

13/07/86. 37415 emerges from under the road bridge as the driver re-starts the 14.00 Kyle - Inverness from Plockton.

835 final v2.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lostwin(m)

08/07/86. By my standards perhaps, a very traditional composition to finish. But a sparkling, large logo 37 in the sunshine, with the classic Oban backdrop just calls for it. I guess i'll claim that choosing a crouched shooting angle adds an extra dynamic though! 37406 stands ahead the 13.00 to Glasgow.

755 final3.jpg

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Oh, and I found this self portrait as well amongst my negatives - a reflected image shot through the kitchen window. 1985, so I would have been 16.

me2.jpg

lostwin(m)

Lostwin, I’m sure I speak for many of us when I say thank you for posting all your photos.
The atmosphere of what you captured is so nostalgic and coincides time wise with many of the locations around the country that I was familiar with. Images that might have seemed commonplace forty years ago have nearly disappeared so you have done your bit for posterity!
Thank you, I'm glad you and others have enjoyed them. I do have a connection into a publisher, but there is little interest in B&W photos - the demand is for colour from this era. This Forum has been a great way to share and make them available, plus the feedback and extra contextual information provided in response has proven fine motivation to see this through to the end.

I haven't done a count back, but I guess that 250 - 300 images out of the 1500 have made the final cut, not a bad ratio all in all, even though you probably now know Leicester and it's surroundings as well as I do!

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Many thanks, R, for taking many of us "50+ ers" down such a fabulous memory trip.
And thanks for the inspiration you provided me with my own, more "current", railway scene; I'll keep my thread going.
If I salvage enough acceptable images from my "1986-1995" prints, then I will do a "BR - the sectorisation years" thread of my own. :)

All the best.

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

I liked the idea of making a 'top 10', mainly because it has become such a moving feast for me as i have scanned and worked on images as part of this project - a number of which have been real discoveries along the way. Well, as it happened, 10 proved impossible - so I give you my top 15. Presented in chronological order, 1985 to 1987.

115 final.jpg162 final2.jpg212 final v2.jpg216 final.jpg255 final copy v4.jpg261 final.jpg279 final.jpg508 final v2.jpg887 final.jpg

Last edited: