• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Novelists' Railcard?

Hybrid

I seem to remember that roughly ten years ago (between approximately 2014—2016) I read an advertisement (possibly in a newspaper) for a railcard that was described as essentially a "Novelists' Railcard".

The railcard was intended for people who were writing novels. The idea was that a novelist could travel around the country on the trains, at virtually no cost, in order to inspire their novels. Write a novel on the trains.

I have since searched for this railcard but have found absolutely no results whatsoever! Am I mad, did I imagine this railcard in my sleep, or was this a real thing?

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hybrid

Not another "money saving offer" on Facebook? :s
Honestly, I don't think so. I am certain I saw some sort of railcard like this being advertised approximately ten years ago. Maybe it was limited to only one operator perhaps.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I seem to remember that roughly ten years ago (between approximately 2014—2016) I read an advertisement (possibly in a newspaper) for a railcard that was described as essentially a "Novelists' Railcard".

The railcard was intended for people who were writing novels. The idea was that a novelist could travel around the country on the trains, at virtually no cost, in order to inspire their novels. Write a novel on the trains.

I have since searched for this railcard but have found absolutely no results whatsoever! Am I mad, did I imagine this railcard in my sleep, or was this a real thing?

Thank you!
According to informed sources, this was all set to happen, but was blocked by David Mapp of Rail Delivery Group, who said novelists should not be "using their income on a leisure journey rather than going to the theatre or buying CDs". ;)

Hybrid

Ah thank you! So I am not imagining it?

I did always wonder, how would ticket inspectors verify that one was really a bona fide novelist? Would one have to sport a George Orwell hair do? Own a fountain pen?

Gloster

Established Member
I did always wonder, how would ticket inspectors verify that one was really a bona fide novelist? Would one have to sport a George Orwell hair do? Own a fountain pen?

Sporting a velveteen jacket and a Russian cigarette in a holder.

Trackman

Established Member
Ringing some bells this, I think it was a competition to win one, but only with TfL.

I'd check the emoji at the end !

yorksrob

Veteran Member
According to informed sources, this was all set to happen, but was blocked by David Mapp of Rail Delivery Group, who said novelists should not be "using their income on a leisure journey rather than going to the theatre or buying CDs". ;)

He should come out for a National railcard to benefit all artists.

Anything else would be state sponsored philistinism.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry, I was joking (hence the ;)) however in all honesty all sorts of Railcards have almost happened, some even had domain names registered, blurring the lines between what ideas are out there, what realistically might happen, and what is actually happening.
If there is an offer which isn't a Railcard discount (or other scheme) and is merely a discounted price, then there is no need to show anything.

If it is a Railcard discount (or other scheme requiring some form of ID) then only the relevant identifying document needs to be shown; eligibility would be checked at the time of issuing the relevant supporting document/ID.

The David Mapp CD/theatre remark is a real quote, however it was made in reference to him wanting to abolish Off Peak (formerly Saver) fares (which LNER is in the process of implementing); needless to say someone of his calibre and passion for deterring leisure travel is in high demand at the DfT!

Yes, it can be difficult to know what is real and what isn't; this is the rail industry, where things are so bonkers it can be almost impossible to tell.

An Avacado Railcard was arguably more bonkers than a Novelist Railcard, and yet that did actually happen (albeit only for a week).

Trackman

Established Member
He should come out for a National railcard to benefit all artists.

Anything else would be state sponsored philistinism.
Got my Equity card ready to upload when someone posts the URL for the website ;)
An Avacado Railcard was arguably more bonkers than a Novelist Railcard, and yet that did actually happen (albeit only for a week).
This was Bizarre. Cant make it up, can you? Basically, buy an Avocado (which acts as a railcard), and have 1/3 off fares, within a certain age.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Got my Equity card ready to upload when someone posts the URL for the website ;)

This was Bizarre. Cant make it up, can you? Basically, buy an Avocado (which acts as a railcard), and have 1/3 off fares, within a certain age.

Good for you Lo l:lol:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Save money on your train ticket with a Railcard. You can save you up to 1/3 off the ticket price for Standard and First Class tickets. With five cards to choose from there's savings to made for everyone!
1715379047225.png

Technically "everyone" is eligible to get discounts on LNER journeys between London and Stevenage, but for the rest of the route, it's not true, is it?

Not to mention, there are more than five "cards" to choose from (but none of them will ever apply to @yorksrob until he turns 60, at least not for travel from Normanton; I hear that RDG are considering launching a 55+ Railcard on the day @yorksrob turns 60 ;))

Does anyone believe what LNER says?

yorksrob

Veteran Member

View attachment 157937

Technically "everyone" is eligible to get discounts on LNER journeys between London and Stevenage, but for the rest of the route, it's not true, is it?

Not to mention, there are more than five "cards" to choose from (but none of them will ever apply to @yorksrob until he turns 60, at least not for travel from Normanton; I hear that RDG are considering launching a 55+ Railcard on the day @yorksrob turns 60 ;))

Does anyone believe what LNER says?

It wouldn't surprise me !

Mikey C

Established Member
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good idea for a novel, must be in want of a railcard.

mrcheek

Established Member
This sounds like the sort of thing they would do in France, where artists and novelists are held in high regard.

I seem to recall there was also a time when artists and such got massive tax breaks. Then somebody claimed that footballers were artists and were entitled to the same tax breaks. And all of a sudden public opinion turned against the idea.....

Veteran Member