• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Platform Assistants

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyP

Hello,

I would like to become a customer services/platform assistant for a TOC but I am worried about whether my lack of customer service experience will affect my application.
I have 2 and a half years customer service gained from Tesco but this was 8 years ago.

Would I stand a chance of getting this type of job?
I have been interested in the railway for many years and would really like to get a job working for one of the TOC's.

Hope someone can help
Andrew

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mintona

Established Member
Hi Andrew.
I had 18 months experience working at a Morrisons when I got a job on the railway. Even though it was 8 years ago, they will see you have done it before and I would think that would be plenty. Get an application in!

AndyP

Thanks for the info.
What about if you dont have your own transport, would that cause a problem.
I dont have any need for a car at the moment so would use taxis in the case of any early and late shifts and then learn to drive.

I have noticed that a few adverts say that you need to be within 30 mins of the station, does this apply to all TOC's?
Also, If you say that you would relocate if you got the role, would that cut it?

Thanks

Mintona

Established Member
Taxis would be very expensive after a while I should think, expecially if you live more than 30mins away. I live 5mins away and it costs £8.60 for a taxi home (when my cr was being serviced)
Your own transport wouldn't be essential if you lived close enough to walk, or if you agree to get a taxi.
When I applied for my job, I lived 2 1/2 hours away from the station, but I told them I was willing to relocate, and so they offered me the job. Not all companies hae the 30 minute role, but lots do.

AndyP

Taxis would be very expensive after a while I should think, expecially if you live more than 30mins away. I live 5mins away and it costs £8.60 for a taxi home (when my cr was being serviced)
Your own transport wouldn't be essential if you lived close enough to walk, or if you agree to get a taxi.
When I applied for my job, I lived 2 1/2 hours away from the station, but I told them I was willing to relocate, and so they offered me the job. Not all companies hae the 30 minute role, but lots do.

Thanks for that. Which TOC do you work for?
Was going to apply for the Customer Assistant role at Lancaster Station with Virgin Trains but noticed the distance from station condition on the application form :( (I live in Manchester)
I would definitely relocate for a particular role, good to know a TOC wouldn't have a problem with that.

Again, thanks for the info.

Andrew

Mintona

Established Member
I work for Northern, in the Manchester area.
I was going to apply for the Virgin job at Lancaster too, but it is a bit far away I think :P

Status
Not open for further replies.