• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Possible prosecution, please help im really anxious

gruffaloLover

I was travelling on GWR service Saturday night, I was very drunk and booked the wrong ticket leaving from a different station.
When I got to the gate, I doubled down out of shame and drunken confusion, told him I’d come from a different station than I had, which I admitted later to have been false. The guard was very excited and said I have broken the law and he’s going to prosecute me, he threatened to call the police also.
I gave him my details, asked if I could pay the fine but he refused, then he eventually let me leave.
I was in the wrong and I accept that, I want to cooperate with GWR.
I really don’t want to get a criminal conviction for this, I’m so worried. How likely am I to be able to settle this outside of court?

Thank you for any info you can give me

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Welcome to the forum!

Please could you say what station you were stopped at? The thing is, my understanding is that you are dealt with by the company that caught you - and some GWR trains serve stations run by other companies. In particular, some trains go to TfL stations, and TfL take a very different approach to fare dodging than GWR.

gruffaloLover

Welcome to the forum!

Please could you say what station you were stopped at? The thing is, my understanding is that you are dealt with by the company that caught you - and some GWR trains serve stations run by other companies. In particular, some trains go to TfL stations, and TfL take a very different approach to fare dodging than GWR.
Thank you for the welcome :)

Ah okay, that’s good to know. It was at Paddington station

Last edited: