• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Query re DB/NL cancellations and flexibility

Norhorn

Hi,

Possibly a long shot but maybe someone can point me in the right direction...

I have the below journey booked for June:

Schiphol (Airport) - dep 10:18 (IC3735)
Utrecht - arr 10:48, dep 10:53 (IC3035)
Arnhem - arr 11:28, dep 11:45 (VIA RE19)
Dusseldorf - arr 13:33, dep 13:45 (IC5106)
Koln - arr 14:12

Ticket: Super Sparpreis Europa, 2nd Class

Seat Reservation on IC5106

According to DB there is a connection no longer available - this would appear to be the Arnhem - Dusseldorf (VIA RE19) leg of the journy.

The message on the DB site / app states:

"Connection no longer available​

Use any train: You can now also use your ticket for other trains.
Alternative connection: Due to recent events, this connection is no longer available. Please find a new connection for your trip."

Does anyone know if I can use my existing ticket to use alternative services from Arnhem onwards without making any further reservations? Using a combination of IC3137, 32241, RE13 and RB27 I can get to Koln about 20 minutes later than originally planned.

Thanks in advance - any guidance / assistance greatly appreciated

Apologies - one follow-up query. Would I be able to use my existing ticket for a completely new journey on the same day between the same start and end points? Eg:

Schiphol (Airport) - dep 9:88 (IC3733)
Venlo - arr 11:58, dep 12:05 (IRE13)
Monchengladbach - arr 12:36, dep 12:41 (RB27)
Koln - arr 13:35

Thanks again

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure someone will come along and confirm if there are any different arrangements in NL, but on the German side you can definitely use 'any train on any reasonable route' to complete your journey (though you would have to stick with the same types of train, i.e. you couldn't decide to use an ICE service where the original trains are RE/RB etc).

I suspect in practice either of your options above would be fine.

rvdborgt

I'm sure someone will come along and confirm if there are any different arrangements in NL, but on the German side you can definitely use 'any train on any reasonable route' to complete your journey
The same is valid in the Netherlands. You can also use another border point if that is now faster or more convenient.

DanielB

Does anyone know if I can use my existing ticket to use alternative services from Arnhem onwards without making any further reservations? Using a combination of IC3137, 32241, RE13 and RB27 I can get to Koln about 20 minutes later than originally planned.
Unless your trip happens somewhere between 11 and 15 June, that option is not available as there are also engineering works at Nijmegen - Venlo from 1-10 June, resulting in the 32241 not running.
Did see that you've already found the alternate option to get from Schiphol to Venlo, but be aware the 7 minute connection in Venlo might be tight in case of delays.
You'll have to change platform and the RE13 is stopping quite far from the tunnel at Venlo due to it requiring to remain under the 15 kV switchable section of the OHLE.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Longer term works with SEV=replacement bus Arnhem-Emmerich from 14/5 till 15/6, according to ´planned works´ on rijdendetreinen.nl
Direct no-change IC (double deck) trains run ev 30 mins. S´hol via Utrecht-Eindhoven to Venlo=end. UNless there are also some works on this route on your unquoted day of travel.
The hourly vandalised/graffitied eb RE13 to Dus-Holzwickede-maybe even Hamm-again if no works- is much, much more likely to be late or cancelled-which you will only note when in Venlo. JUst join the crowd-perhaps even help a few other bewildered by it all foreigners. Then use whatever ICE turns up from DUS. If it all goes well-moreorless- you may not even hit the +60 mins mark to get a refund.
For the upcoming years-as also last years, in summer long-term works to get the 3d track in Germany along the line to Oberhausen means more works along that line.