• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Running a live steam model?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWVillager

Sadly, a relative of mine passed away recently, and he had a small garden railway with a live steam locomotive (G Scale/45mm. A photo is attached). The engine hasn’t run for about 10 years and the track has long since been pulled up. Naturally, we were wondering if it can be restored to use, and with my railway enthusiasm I have been tasked with doing this.

What exactly, therefore, needs to be done to get a model steam locomotive running? I volunteer on a heritage railway and thus have a rudimentary understanding of steam engines, but the only experience I have of steam models is assisting with this locomotive over a decade ago, and I can’t really remember what that involved, beyond distilled water and gas (there is some with the engine). I did, however, used to model electric trains in OO gauge, but I imagine that they’re so different that it’s more or less irrelevant.

Is a boiler certificate required? What precautions do I need to take? Should I get the model inspected before even trying to steam it? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.jpeg
    IMG_1919.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
If the model has been static for a considerable period, then the first thing to do is to give the chassis a through clean to remove dirt and congealed oil and grease 'gumming-up' the works. Then lubricate everything in accordance with the maker's instructions.
A boiler certificate would be a good idea if you are planning to sell the loco. A local model engineering society will have people who can assist with this and with getting the loco back into steam generally. Or contact the makers?

Ken X

As a retired surveyor I would strongly recommend a thorough examination and test of the boiler and safety valves by a competent person before steaming. Even a small boiler can generate a big bang. :)

GWVillager

If the model has been static for a considerable period, then the first thing to do is to give the chassis a through clean to remove dirt and congealed oil and grease 'gumming-up' the works. Then lubricate everything in accordance with the maker's instructions.
A boiler certificate would be a good idea if you are planning to sell the loco. A local model engineering society will have people who can assist with this and with getting the loco back into steam generally. Or contact the makers?
As a retired surveyor I would strongly recommend a thorough examination and test of the boiler and safety valves by a competent person before steaming. Even a small boiler can generate a big bang. :)
Thank you both, there’s a model railway near me that does inspections, I’ll take it there.

Trainlog

Sadly, a relative of mine passed away recently, and he had a small garden railway with a live steam locomotive (G Scale/45mm. A photo is attached). The engine hasn’t run for about 10 years and the track has long since been pulled up. Naturally, we were wondering if it can be restored to use, and with my railway enthusiasm I have been tasked with doing this.

What exactly, therefore, needs to be done to get a model steam locomotive running? I volunteer on a heritage railway and thus have a rudimentary understanding of steam engines, but the only experience I have of steam models is assisting with this locomotive over a decade ago, and I can’t really remember what that involved, beyond distilled water and gas (there is some with the engine). I did, however, used to model electric trains in OO gauge, but I imagine that they’re so different that it’s more or less irrelevant.

Is a boiler certificate required? What precautions do I need to take? Should I get the model inspected before even trying to steam it? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.
Firstly, I would recommend if you want to service the loco, it would be best to check the 16mm association traders page as many specialize in the servicing and boiler certification side of the hobby, especially if you aren't confident in servicing the loco yourself.

Your loco, A Roundhouse Lady Anne is luckily one of the middle edition locos so there are plenty of parts around for it to be serviced, and it helps that unless your loco is from the 80s, a spirit burner, or a Roundhouse Millie the parts roundhouse sell today are standardized and can be used to fix your loco.

The 16mm community is very helpful so I do recommend getting in touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.