• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shred`s UK trips.

shredder1

Established Member
So it is....apologies for that. Just found the link from Rail Advent describing its conversion from 66 221. Must try and keep up more whilst in Italy chasing D445s. ;)
Italy, amazing country, two great depots in Milan, there was lots of old stuff on when I last visited. 66651 was actually double-headed today, but I cant read the number on the second loco?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Thursday 9th May 2024.

A rail strike day, don’t you just love em. The freight however was still operating. So, I had another drive around checking out bridges and location and slowly working my way up the Atherton line capturing the Wilton Efw, (Tees NY), to Knowsley FT. I initially drove to Moorside, the least used station on the Atherton line with a reduced service and very basic facilities these days.

The Wilton Efw, from Tees NY to Knowsley as 6M17 was surprisingly double-headed behind Red liveried class 66651 and EWS liveried class 66057, so that was a nice turn out. There was also a young Irish girl from Dublin on the platforms, waiting for an airport train, she appeared on the platforms just as the freight was about to pass through, so I had to shout to her to step back and I later explained about the rail strike and helped her get her suit cases back up the steps and pointed her to the bus stops.

I next drove down towards Pendleton, and checked out the Freightliner class 66596 which had just arrived at the Brindle Heath RTS and I was also checking out suitable bridges and photographic locations along the route, but my stool was too small, you need ladders for those bridges, and most of the line along this section is overbuilt and difficult to get near the track-bed now.

I then drove through Manchester to the climb towards the top of Miles Platting bank, accessed in a small housing estate nestled between the former Oldham Road station branch and the Calder Valley line. My step stool however collapsed, so I had to search out a few bricks to stand on to get me over fence height and I just managed a few photographs of the Brindle Heath RTS-Dean Lane, 6J34, climbing up the bank behind Freightliner class 66596. The weather was again glorious and I had a nice afternoon out despite the rail strike.

shredder1

Established Member
Greater Manchester. Friday 10th May 2024.

I was out again chasing freight, and back on the rails this time. Driving to Crumpsall Metrolink for a tram into Manchester Victoria. There seems to be a few trams with advertising liveries on at the moment, so I always try to photograph them, as they change them periodically.

From Manchester Victoria I was heading back on the Atherton line, this time to Walkden, (once known as Walkden High Level as the town also had a Walkden Low Level station at one time). Walkden station has some nice ornamental casting displays on the station steps, depicting the towns history in art form, of its industrial mining history.

I was again tracking the Wilton Efw, from Tees NY to Knowsley as 6M16 through Walkden, this time it was back to one loco behind Red liveried class 66651. I caught the next train back to Salford Central and waited for the Hope St Peakstone to Peak Forest Cemex, running as 6H56, behind GB Railfreight loco class 66750.

My next move was a train back to Salford Crescent to wait for 6J44, the Brindle Heath RTS to Dean Lane RTS, a good location to photograph it, it was on time and still behind Freightliner class 66596. The weather was again glorious, and I returned via Manchester Victoria and the Metrolink to Crumpsall, another good afternoon.

shredder1

Established Member
Manchester-Doncaster. Saturday 11th May 2024.

Summer appears to have come with a vengeance, it must have been the hottest day so far. I was up early and on a Transpennine class 185 from Manchester Piccadilly to Doncaster direct, on a Liverpool to Cleethorpes service, arriving at Doncaster for 08.30.

There were quite a few cranks on the platforms and it was nice to catch up with a few friends. There was steady action through the day and nice to see a few of the class 91s are still operating. In addition, I saw my first Grand Central Voyager heading south. Parked in the works yard were Anglia livery class 47714 and Fragonset class 47703. Parked in front of the works was Colas Rail Freight class 70815, with Colas class 56113 parked behind her. Freight workings included, Northbound EWS liveried class 66024, LNER class 91106 and class 91124, Freightliner 66566, light engine GB Rail Freight 66720. Southbound was a top and tail engineering train GBRf 66707 and 66784, which returned northbound a few hours later. Freightliners 66607 and 66420 and Northbound Freightliner 66514. Double-Headed southbound EWS liveried 66024 and DB red livery 66009, light engine in DB Red livery class 66205 and finally Rail Operations Group, ROG class 37601 light engine.

I boarded a Transpennine class 185 from Doncaster at around 15.00 and returned directly to Manchester Piccadilly. On walking towards the ticket barriers, I heard a class 67 arriving into the platforms, and was pleasantly surprised to see the 16.14 WAG arriving behind class 67015, with black liveried rake and DVT 82201, which was a nice finish to the day.

Last edited:

Bob figgis

Manchester-Doncaster. Saturday 11th May 2024.

Summer appears to have come with a vengeance, it must have been the hottest day so far. I was up early and on a Transpennine class 185 from Manchester Piccadilly to Doncaster direct, on a Liverpool to Cleethorpes service, arriving at Doncaster for 08.30.

There were quite a few cranks on the platforms and it was nice to catch up with a few friends. There was steady action through the day and nice to see a few of the class 91s are still operating. In addition, I saw my first Grand Central Voyager heading south. Parked in the works yard were Anglia livery class 47714 and an unknow class 47 with its Res livery being removed. Parked in front of the works was Colas Rail Freight class 70815, with an unknown Colas class 56 parked behind her. Freight workings included, Northbound EWS liveried class 66024, LNER class 91106 and class 91124, Freightliner 66566, light engine GB Rail Freight 66720. Southbound was a top and tail engineering train GBRf 66707 and 66784, which returned northbound a few hours later. Freightliners 66607 and 66420 and Northbound Freightliner 66514. Double-Headed southbound EWS liveried 66024 and DB red livery 66009, light engine in DB Red livery class 66205 and finally Rail Operations Group, ROG class 37601 light engine.

I boarded a Transpennine class 185 from Doncaster at around 15.00 and returned directly to Manchester Piccadilly. On walking towards the ticket barriers, I heard a class 67 arriving into the platforms, and was pleasantly surprised to see the 16.14 WAG arriving behind class 67015, with black liveried rake and DVT 82201, which was a nice finish to the day.

It was 56113 on the servicing road at Doncaster. That is twice in the same amount of weeks I’ve seen you out, on both occasions, didnt have the chance to say hello though.