• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

South Wales 'Metro' updates

Snow1964

Established Member
Treherbert line update

Testing the Overhead Line Equipment (OLE)​

As part of the energisation process, we will need to conduct two days of testing in May to ensure that the equipment across the Treherbert line is working properly.

The testing period will take place on Saturday 25 and Monday 27 May, with contingency plans in place for Sunday 26 May and Tuesday 28 May if required.

For the safety of the public during the testing period, we will need to close all public footbridges that cross the railway line, as well as station footbridges and the level crossing at Treherbert station on Saturday 25 and Monday 27 May.

The following footbridges will be closed to pedestrians on Saturday 25 and Monday 27 May. We will ensure pedestrians can still cross the railway line safely by either providing a suitable diversion route or a minibus shuttle service where needed.

Extension of the Rhondda Railcard 50% discount​

As a thank you to our customers and lineside neighbours for their patience throughout the transformation work, we will be extending the Rhondda Railcard discount scheme for 3 months following the reopening of the line in February 2024. The discount entitles all passengers who travel on the Treherbert line to a 50% discount on the cost of their ticket, with the discount available until the end of May 2024.

To obtain the discount, passengers will need to present the physical Rhondda Railcard to the train conductor alongside their rail ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Envoy

Established Member
The other day, I was at the Cardiff West Services at M4 J33. I wandered over to the northern boundary and took the 2 photos that are below.

I have seen maps that show a protected route for a Metro extension in the future coming from Fairwater and following the former single track rail line as far as the M4. To get to the north side of the M4, a cost effective way of doing this is to use the St.Y-Nyll lane underpass at Capel Llanilltern and then swing around the north side of the M4 services. The protected route then goes west to reach the former twin track railway line that then heads north up to Cregiau.

I don’t know what is going on in my photos but I would have thought that this was the land on which a future Metro extension would use to reach Cregiau?

Attachments

• CAPEL LLANILLTERN.jpeg
    CAPEL LLANILLTERN.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • CAPEL LLANILLTERN 2.jpeg
    CAPEL LLANILLTERN 2.jpeg
    1,016 KB · Views: 100

Tumbleweed

The other day, I was at the Cardiff West Services at M4 J33. I wandered over to the northern boundary and took the 2 photos that are below.

I have seen maps that show a protected route for a Metro extension in the future coming from Fairwater and following the former single track rail line as far as the M4. To get to the north side of the M4, a cost effective way of doing this is to use the St.Y-Nyll lane underpass at Capel Llanilltern and then swing around the north side of the M4 services. The protected route then goes west to reach the former twin track railway line that then heads north up to Cregiau.

I don’t know what is going on in my photos but I would have thought that this was the land on which a future Metro extension would use to reach Cregiau?
The J33 roundabout is where the old line from St Fagans went to Pontypridd via Creigiau, Efail Isaf, Tonteg. Luckily it's still with us (mostly) as it was once earmarked as new road to connect with Upper Boat/Power Station Hill. Probably the best way to connect Creigiau to the light rail link.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Looks like some kind of utility installation, maybe a gas pressure reduction station.

rf_ioliver

The J33 roundabout is where the old line from St Fagans went to Pontypridd via Creigiau, Efail Isaf, Tonteg. Luckily it's still with us (mostly) as it was once earmarked as new road to connect with Upper Boat/Power Station Hill. Probably the best way to connect Creigiau to the light rail link.
There's also the line via Rhiwsaeson that crosses at Creigau. Isn't the plan to use this for rail from Fairwater to Creigau? If you follow that you still have quite an extant route all the way to Llantrisant and the modern Pontyclun station. The route between Beddau and Tonteg is now lost under development (Llantwit Faerdre was built over in the late 80s)

As for J33, the later plan was a spur to to the A4119 - nothing to UpperBoat, that's quite a distance away. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Cardiff_West_Interchange

Tumbleweed

There's also the line via Rhiwsaeson that crosses at Creigau. Isn't the plan to use this for rail from Fairwater to Creigau? If you follow that you still have quite an extant route all the way to Llantrisant and the modern Pontyclun station. The route between Beddau and Tonteg is now lost under development (Llantwit Faerdre was built over in the late 80s)

As for J33, the later plan was a spur to to the A4119 - nothing to UpperBoat, that's quite a distance away. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Cardiff_West_Interchange
I'm sure back in the 80's or 90's it was going to be a link to relieve pressure on J32 and it would follow the route of the railway, I can imagine the good people of Creigiau and Efail Isafe objected - I might be wrong, it was a long time ago!

Yeah the Rhiwsaeson route is still in situ - although the route has been severed by the A473 at Cross Inn and towards Beddau by a road embankment (both are not a hinderance to rail re-instatement though). The Beddau - Tonteg section is long gone as you said.

Envoy

Established Member

They can’t follow the alignment of the former Fairwater to Cregiau line all the way due to the M4 blocking the way plus the Canada Lakes now being on the alignment - hence the need to create a short new link on land just north of the Services at J33 to the protected alignment of the north - south twin track line that went through Cregiau. Look on Google Maps and you will now see new houses being built and clearly the old north - south rail route is protected from development. My concern is about the link that has to be created north of the services.

(J33 is not fit for purpose and regularly has jams. It really needs to have flyovers linking the M4 & A4232. The fact that no link exists with the A4119 at J33 also puts more traffic onto the local road network in St.Fagans, Groes Faen and Radyr. The situation at St.Fagans village & level crossing is already noticeably worse since the new developments started in NW Cardiff).

There's also the line via Rhiwsaeson that crosses at Creigiau. Isn't the plan to use this for rail from Fairwater to Creigiau? If you follow that you still have quite an extant route all the way to Llantrisant and the modern Pontyclun station. The route between Beddau and Tonteg is now lost under development (Llantwit Fardre was built over in the late 80s)

As for J33, the later plan was a spur to to the A4119 - nothing to Upper Boat, that's quite a distance away. https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Cardiff_West_Interchange
Yes the plan for Cardiff Crossrail - of which we don't seem to have heard anything for quite a while - includes using the old "Common Branch" (Fairwater - Creigiau - Rhiwsaeson - Llantrisant) but as pointed out the Canada Lakes might require a short detour on to the old Barry Railway line south of Creigiau.

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Yes the plan for Cardiff Crossrail - of which we don't seem to have heard anything for quite a while - includes using the old "Common Branch" (Fairwater - Creigiau - Rhiwsaeson - Llantrisant) but as pointed out the Canada Lakes might require a short detour on to the old Barry Railway line south of Creigiau.
The planning work for the key central section between Cardiff Central and Bay is mentioned quite frequently, and I recall a consultation about the routing of the eastern section several months ago. It’s the western section which appears somewhat quiet.