• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations Which Could Have New Platforms on Nearby Lines

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Lostock and Barassie would be others.
Lostock is probably one of the most worthy examples on the network.

The bus links between most of western/northern Bolton and Wigan are poor, there is a very congested road that is the main alternative and the only rail routing is to go into Bolton, change and out again (at a significant time penalty).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Farigiraf

They arent disused, if a two track block is on trains will stop there.
From the NR Website:
Harrow___Wealdstone_station_map.jpg

Kite159

Veteran Member
Harrow & Wealdstone P3+P4 are the same as other fast line platforms on the southern end of the WCML. Fenced off with "no independent public access" but comes in use at times when engineering works close the slow lines

Lostock is probably one of the most worthy examples on the network.

The bus links between most of western/northern Bolton and Wigan are poor, there is a very congested road that is the main alternative and the only rail routing is to go into Bolton, change and out again (at a significant time penalty).

And Bolton is a long walk to change platforms, probably one of the longest change between platforms at a station where it is likely people will change platforms.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
And Bolton is a long walk to change platforms, probably one of the longest change between platforms at a station where it is likely people will change platforms.
It's up there with a platform change at Manchester Piccadilly which necessitates a schlep from the main train shed to/from platforms 13/14; some changes at Liverpool South Parkway, such as platform 2 to platform 6, and Glasgow Central (one side of the station to the other when you've arrived on a service via the WCML).

AlastairFraser

Established Member
It's up there with a platform change at Manchester Piccadilly which necessitates a schlep from the main train shed to/from platforms 13/14; some changes at Liverpool South Parkway, such as platform 2 to platform 6, and Glasgow Central (one side of the station to the other when you've arrived on a service via the WCML).
And crucially I suspect new platforms at Lostock would be cheaper than more work at Bolton. The current set at Lostock are very basic, but don't need much modification.

mrcheek

Established Member
Gloucester, but it is pushing it with the definition of "nearby"
Not nearby enough.
There is a strong case for a new station. But I think the main reason it hasnt happened is because residents are worried that trains would start missing out Gloucester Main altogether, leaving a worse ervice

The exile

Established Member
Stapleton Road (alternatively have the Gloucesters run up the slows and stop). Access to Bristol Parkway (which has now outgrown its original function and has a deal of inbound traffic) from Severn Beach line stations is dire.

miklcct

On Moderation
I wish to have platforms built at West Hampstead for the Chiltern line but it no longer seems possible.

The connectivity to Wembley Stadium train station (or West Ruislip) for onward travel to the country is poor from the whole locality of West Hampstead / Kilburn / Cricklewood / Willesden, requiring two buses or tube + bus.

BayPaul

Established Member
I wish to have platforms built at West Hampstead for the Chiltern line but it no longer seems possible.

The connectivity to Wembley Stadium train station (or West Ruislip) for onward travel to the country is poor from the whole locality of West Hampstead / Kilburn / Cricklewood / Willesden, requiring two buses or tube + bus.
I'd also love to see West Hampstead becoming the Clapham Junction / Stratford / OOC of the north of London, with connectivity between mainlines, overground and underground - I agree that it would make a very useful interchange and give lots of new journey opportunities. I'd also try to add platforms to the Metropolitan line if it were practical. I can't really see how the connectivity from West Hampstead to Wembley is a good reason for it - there's already a direct connection by the Jubilee line to Wembley Park which is also close to the stadium.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Yeovil Junction? Only about 500m from the east end of the platforms to the Castle Cary-Dorchester line. A platform there would make a far easier change between lines.
For me this is the most obvious one for this question - the benefits are unquestionable and I don't think it would be too hard to achieve.