• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T Gauge

DaleCooper

Established Member
This video appeared on my YouTube recommendations, I didn't know such a thing existed. Considering its size it looks quite impressive.

How Can Trains This Small Even Work?

A look at my first T Gauge train set. You won’t believe how well these incredibly tiny trains work! They almost can’t derail!

T gauge (1:450 or 1:480) is a model railway scale with a track gauge of 3 mm (0.118 in), referred to as "Three-millimeter gauge" or "Third of N scale". It was introduced at the Tokyo Toy Show in 2006 by KK Eishindo of Japan and went on sale in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
This video appeared on my YouTube recommendations, I didn't know such a thing existed. Considering its size it looks quite impressive.

I have been out of railway modelling for some years and I too didn't realise one could go smaller than Z.

Did a bit of Googling and found this site https://www.tgauge.com/

Prices appear quite competitive and cheaper than their larger equivalents.

The way magnets are used to keep the locos on the track reminds me of the old "Magnadhesion" which was fitted to Triang products in the 1960s and early 70s.

Gloster

Established Member
It has been around for a dozen years or more, but it is very much a niche gauge. Outside of Japan I think that it is rather seen as a bit of a novelty, rather than a serious modeller’s or a family train-set scale.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Having handled some Z-gauge stock a few years ago and finding it rather fiddly, I have to admit that I was rather taken back when i heard about T-gauge. N looks huge in comparison!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
If I was going to have a bash at this scale I think I’d concentrate on having the trains running through some big scenery. The models aren’t particularly detailed but you could actually make some large scale hills in a relatively small area.

D1511

1706431111116.png
Good grief.....you can really see how small they are in this pic!
Imagine trying to renumber those! o_O
@Cowley that's a good point......instead of having a model railway with landscape, you could have a vast model landscape that happens to have a railway running through it!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
View attachment 151263
@Cowley that's a good point......instead of having a model railway with landscape, you could have a vast model landscape that happens to have a railway running through it!

Needs weathering. ;)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is anyone actually going to notice if the numbers aren't right? :lol:
(Silly question, I suppose - there's always someone who notices)

Needs weathering. ;)
Handling a few times with grubby fingers should do the trick. Trying to do anything else would probably require a microscope!

parkender102

When creating your T-Gauge Scenery - do they actually have T-Gauge Figures etc? At a scale of 1:450 I doubt it.

Deepgreen

Established Member
View attachment 151263
Not sure why the bogies are so ludicrously shortened - they look really poor when the other features are OK.

Gloster

Established Member
Not sure why the bogies are so ludicrously shortened - they look really poor when the other features are OK.

There is probably only a single design of bogie and that is likely to be based on a Japanese prototype. I would reckon that the sales of HSTs would be so small that they would never make back the development costs of a new bogie for it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There is probably only a single design of bogie and that is likely to be based on a Japanese prototype. I would reckon that the sales of HSTs would be so small that they would never make back the development costs of a new bogie for it.

Yes I’d agree. I think if I bought a set I’d maybe look at blackening the wheels if possible, but I think they’ll be waiting to see if the scale takes off over here before they invest in developing things further.

AdamWW

Established Member
Quite a good scale for modelling the Forth Bridge...

When creating your T-Gauge Scenery - do they actually have T-Gauge Figures etc? At a scale of 1:450 I doubt it.

"They" do!

If you want to see what's available, have a look at the TGauge.com website mentioned above.

The way magnets are used to keep the locos on the track reminds me of the old "Magnadhesion" which was fitted to Triang products in the 1960s and early 70s.

I can't find it now but there used to be a video on Youtube showing one happily running upside down.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Quite a good scale for modelling the Forth Bridge...

"They" do!

If you want to see what's available, have a look at the TGauge.com website mentioned above.

I can't find it now but there used to be a video on Youtube showing one happily running upside down.

Ok, now that is pretty cool. :lol: