• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Transpennine Route Upgrade and Electrification updates

Halifaxlad

Established Member
How long ago was not so long ago? On Google Streetview you can see them from the road at a range of dates from 2009 to June 2023. They look quite low and not changed in that time.

Actually its probably just me.

I did see a recent photo and the parapets from the rail side looked that clean like it had been recently raised, just looked at Street view and the raising was done some time ago.

It might be a slight change of perspective since the bridge was removed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D53

Established Member
The main road Bridge hadn't been touched in many years and is a listed structure.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Cowi have been awarded design contracts for Stalybridge, Scout & Standedge Tunnels.
The 1.7km of slab track mentioned in the article doesn't seem to correspond to any of the TRU tunnel dimensions.
It's certainly not enough for Standedge tunnel (if needed there).

I haven't come across COWI before, but it seems they are tunnel experts and designed the Mersey Gateway bridge and some of the Nordic region bridges

D6130

Established Member
The 1.7km of slab track mentioned in the article doesn't seem to correspond to any of the TRU tunnel dimensions.
It's certainly not enough for Standedge tunnel (if needed there).
Is it by any chance at Mossley, to improve clearances for the tight bridge and lineside houses?

snowball

Established Member
Slab track is doubtless measured in single track km. #7868 said Stalybridge and Scout tunnels would require track lowering. They are double track. To get the length of slab track required for them, add their lengths and double the result. It comes to just under 1.6km but maybe the slab needs to extend slightly outside the tunnels.

Last edited:

sturmey_archer

The main road Bridge hadn't been touched in many years and is a listed structure.
Photos on the Garforth page at railwayarchitecture.org.uk show the parapet was raised sometime between 1974 and 1993. The description on the Grade II Listing says that the 'raising of the parapets has been carried out sensitively in matching ashlar.'... I don't know if I agree with that, they look like concrete blocks rather than a matching stone.

They look like they must have been very low before, so I wonder if the road level has been raised or realigned at some point. But to go back to the original question... yes it looks like they will need raising again, and may need the copings replacing.

snowball

Established Member
Just noticed that there's a pedestrian on Streetview and they don't even reach his shoulders. Any past raising was obviously not up to electrification standards, even as they were then.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It comes to just under 1.6km but maybe the slab needs to extend slightly outside the tunnels.
Transitions between slab and ballasted track are tricky - going directly from one to the other risks a "hard spot" as the ballasted track settles a bit but the slab stays put. There might have to be some sort of transition structure to make this more gradual, which would probably sit outside the tunnel.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Transitions between slab and ballasted track are tricky - going directly from one to the other risks a "hard spot" as the ballasted track settles a bit but the slab stays put. There might have to be some sort of transition structure to make this more gradual, which would probably sit outside the tunnel.
I remember when Southampton tunnel was slab tracked the transition sections were very obvious during installation, just outside each end of the tunnel, before they were effectively buried under the finished ballast level and shoulders. Basically there’s a wide sloping trench to retain the ballast that is gradually reducing in depth towards the tunnel.

There‘s a photo of a transition section at the top of a contractor summary of the work here:

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
The slab at Macclesfield tunnel too also starts (and ends) at least 3 or 400 meters outside the actual structure too as others have said it's not just a case of the ballast ending and concrete suddenly starting.

td97

Established Member
A possible test circuit is running today (coinciding with no services due ASLEF strike)
Longsight - Crewe - Stalybridge (via Ashton) - Oxford Rd (via Guide Bridge) - Stalybridge (via Guide Bridge) - Longsight (via Ashton)
3Q91, 3Q92, 3Q94, 3Q95, 3Q97

Greybeard33

Established Member
A possible test circuit is running today (coinciding with no services due ASLEF strike)
Longsight - Crewe - Stalybridge (via Ashton) - Oxford Rd (via Guide Bridge) - Stalybridge (via Guide Bridge) - Longsight (via Ashton)
Genuine question: why would a Stalybridge test train first go all the way from Longsight to Crewe, just to come back again on the same route?

Geeves

Established Member
I was thinking that myself, the electrical control room is at Crewe, maybe they picked someone (or something) up at Crewe that that they needed for the test?

All the tests seem to have ran so hopefully we can start using the wires soon. The 769 power change over at Vic is currently leading to so many cancellations. If it could run on electric that would be one less thing to cancel the Stalybridge train for!

darylyates17

I was thinking that myself, the electrical control room is at Crewe, maybe they picked someone (or something) up at Crewe that that they needed for the test?

All the tests seem to have ran so hopefully we can start using the wires soon. The 769 power change over at Vic is currently leading to so many cancellations. If it could run on electric that would be one less thing to cancel the Stalybridge train for!
Think it will be from June that the wires are used by 769 & 802s.

43095john

Has ran, using TPE 397006