• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Road name changes

scragend

Warwick Road (alongside the Lancashire County Cricket Club ground in Old Trafford, Manchester) was renamed as 'Brian Statham Way' after the former cricketer had died in June 2000, just before his 70th birthday.

And not so far away, and near to the Manchester United football ground, the section of roadway previously known as Warwick Road North was renamed as 'Sir Matt Busby Way' in 1993, shortly before Sir Matt's death in Jan 1994.

Before the square was turned 90 degrees, one of the ends of the ground was called the Warwick Road End. After the road was renamed, the end was also renamed the Brian Statham End.

This was something of an anomaly as Statham always bowled from the other end of the ground, so much so that he even named his autobiography "From the Stretford End"!

There is still a Brian Statham End, but now the square has been turned it isn't the "wrong end" anymore. Jimmy Anderson, however, does bowl from his own end!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Black Boy Lane Haringey London N15 is now La Rose Lane after Caribbean born John La Rose.

Oxford has had
In Bristol, Whiteladies Road ends at Blackboy Hill, and I’m really surprised that political correctness has not forced a renaming.

The exile

Established Member
In Bristol, Whiteladies Road ends at Blackboy Hill, and I’m really surprised that political correctness has not forced a renaming.
Strictly speaking, as far as official road names go, it doesn't. Whiteladies Road goes all the way up to the top and ends at the crossroads by the Downs. Blackboy Hill is not an official road name - and as far as I understand it has nothing to do with any young males of whatever skin colour. Neither is derogatory, nor indeed celebratory in the way that a statue, or an Avenue or Parade named after an individual might be considered to be (see above!).

SargeNpton

Established Member
Strictly speaking, as far as official road names go, it doesn't. Whiteladies Road goes all the way up to the top and ends at the crossroads by the Downs. Blackboy Hill is not an official road name - and as far as I understand it has nothing to do with any young males of whatever skin colour. Neither is derogatory, nor indeed celebratory in the way that a statue, or an Avenue or Parade named after an individual might be considered to be (see above!).
Many "Blackboy" or "Black Boy" names in England are references to Charles II - who was known as the Black Boy by his family due to his dark complexion.

geoffk

Established Member
Alan Turing Way, part of the Manchester ring road, received its name in 1994, in recognition of the mathematician who cracked the Germans' Enigma code, and who had strong links with the city. I'm not sure if this was a re-naming or actually a new section of road to which the name was applied. There's also an Alan Turing Road in Loughborough but this looks like a new development.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Alan Turing Way, part of the Manchester ring road, received its name in 1994, in recognition of the mathematician who cracked the Germans' Enigma code, and who had strong links with the city. I'm not sure if this was a re-naming or actually a new section of road to which the name was applied.
Opened December 1994. Mostly a section of new roadway, but in the vicinity of the River Medlock it certainly looks to run on top of what was once part of Forge Lane. Apparently cost some £40mln when built thirty years ago.

gg1

Established Member
Grape Lane in York had what is now a very NSFW name in medieval times, with similarly named streets in a number of other English cities at the time.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Grape Lane in York had what is now a very NSFW name in medieval times, with similarly named streets in a number of other English cities at the time.
If that used to be what I suspect it used to be with one letter different in the first word and another word between the two words, there is apparently one of those somewhere in the country which still carries the original name - but there's no way I'm going to go and try to search for it. I'm at work...

PeterC

Established Member
If that used to be what I suspect it used to be with one letter different in the first word and another word between the two words, there is apparently one of those somewhere in the country which still carries the original name - but there's no way I'm going to go and try to search for it. I'm at work...
Magpie Lane in Oxford formerly had a similar name. Grape Lane in Whitby is another. Named for the trade carried on there.

tynesider

Fannybush Lane in Chopwell, Gateshead, was renamed to Whittonstall Road in the 1990s

Can't imagine why!