• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Variation in daily flight departures

Graham H

I used to fly on business when I was working and my recollection is that the flights to places I went were pretty much fixed for years and always departed at the same time. Just dropped relatives off for a flight to Gibraltar and BA490 which is a daily flight seems to depart at a different time each day between 06.15 and 09.30 although it appears its the same time on a specific weekday so Fridays its 07.00. Just curious as to why this happens as it must have a knock on effect on staffing in Gibraltar which sees a handful of arrivals each day and also with slots at Heathrow or is it a case that BA has an 07.00 slot and just happens to use it for Gib today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlastairFraser

Established Member
I used to fly on business when I was working and my recollection is that the flights to places I went were pretty much fixed for years and always departed at the same time. Just dropped relatives off for a flight to Gibraltar and BA490 which is a daily flight seems to depart at a different time each day between 06.15 and 09.30 although it appears its the same time on a specific weekday so Fridays its 07.00. Just curious as to why this happens as it must have a knock on effect on staffing in Gibraltar which sees a handful of arrivals each day and also with slots at Heathrow or is it a case that BA has an 07.00 slot and just happens to use it for Gib today.
I think it's slots available at Heathrow that dictate flight times, because it's a lower priority for BA compared to their long haul traffic from LHR, and other threads on the forum have mentioned how plenty of long haul passengers have a preference for departure/arrivals at certain times.

zero

Gibraltar airport felt overstaffed every time I've been there. I got the impression the staff spend most of their work day just hanging around, but when the passengers come they are very efficient

route101

Established Member
I have noticed this with easyjet from Glasgow particularly on the domestic departures the times and number of flights vary. Thursdays seem to have the most flights and Saturdays the least. Only one easyjet flight on a Saturday evening from Luton up to Glasgow on a Saturday.

Butts

Veteran Member
Gibraltar airport felt overstaffed every time I've been there. I got the impression the staff spend most of their work day just hanging around, but when the passengers come they are very efficient

One of the few Airports that has a Level Crossing for Planes rather than Trains (unless it's changed recently)

AlastairFraser

Established Member
One of the few Airports that has a Level Crossing for Planes rather than Trains (unless it's changed recently)
New road tunnel opened recently -
Gibraltar runway tunnel opens for vehicles, almost 15 years after being commissioned
Transport · The inauguration means that cars, motorcycles and commercial vehicles will no longer have to wait for flights to land or take off, as the former road crossed a runway. Gibraltar’s road tunnel under the runway road, known as Kingsway, finally opened for vehicles today Friday 31 March (2023). Kingsway incorporates the road and tunnels that run from Devil’s Tower Road to the Eastgate roundabout.
The road crossing is still in situ, but rarely used now.

Butts

Veteran Member
New road tunnel opened recently -

The road crossing is still in situ, but rarely used now.
Thanks for that, less than a year ago then. Haven't been to GIB for a decade or so.