• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WCRC loses judicial review in High Court

Bill57p9

So what were they using for the afternoon service between the restarting of services and the 6th of May?
I may have misunderstood the question here, or I may not have been clear.
WCRC have always required two rakes (and locos) to provide both daily Jacobite services.
Currently only the morning service is running - and that is as planned for this time of year.
My other comment was that in years gone by the "afternoon" service was even later, but still required a second train.

(Warning: speculative) An obvious potential solution would be to seek alternative timings to allow one train to run both services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
(Warning: speculative) An obvious potential solution would be to seek alternative timings to allow one train to run both services.
The problem being that the business owners of Mallaig want the passengers to spend a fair time in their village, while said passengers want a trip between breakfast and high tea, which leads to the present 6hr round trip and 2-train timetable.

(Also speculative: I suppose they could rejig the service to be one way Jacobite and one way by "normal" train, but I am not sure the Scotrail service could cope.

1Q18

Railway Touring Company trip from Piccadilly to Holyhead with Bahamas on Saturday 25th May now re-dated to Saturday 28th September: https://www.railwaytouring.net/the-mancunian-05-05-24
Presumably in the hope that WCRC will have an exemption by then and Bahamas will be able to haul the train?
Maybe that, and maybe also by late September the questionable air conditioning will be less of an issue if they do need to use the Mk2 set!

Maybe that, and maybe also by late September the questionable air conditioning will be less of an issue if they do need to use the Mk2 set!
I just got an email from them advertising a June tour , wouldn't think they would be doing so if they had West Coast moving tours due to the heat.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Rail Quest

Railway Touring Company trip from Piccadilly to Holyhead with Bahamas on Saturday 25th May now re-dated to Saturday 28th September: https://www.railwaytouring.net/the-mancunian-05-05-24
Presumably in the hope that WCRC will have an exemption by then and Bahamas will be able to haul the train?
Have they provided any reason for the cancellation anywhere? Can't see a Facebook post or anything, perhaps one is imminent.

This seems to have come out of no where. No tour seemed to be happening at the same time so the coffin stock should be available and the tour was fully booked according to RTC on a previous Facebook post (attached picture shows RTC responding to a Facebook user, confirming the tour was fully booked).

I wonder if this has something to do with Bahamas being allocated to the tour. Isn't this loco Vacuum braking only? (EDIT: yes this is implied by the quoted post, didn't read that bit first time round :lol: )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240508-140532.png
    Screenshot_20240508-140532.png
    191 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Essan

The problem being that the business owners of Mallaig want the passengers to spend a fair time in their village, while said passengers want a trip between breakfast and high tea, which leads to the present 6hr round trip and 2-train timetable.

(Also speculative: I suppose they could rejig the service to be one way Jacobite and one way by "normal" train, but I am not sure the Scotrail service could cope.

I thought when they first started running a 2nd service - some years ago now - it was more of an evening run. May be mistaken, but I am sure it ran later than the 2nd run does (or should do) these days. It should be possible to do that using just one loco and coach set, with, say, a 5pm(ish) departure from the Fort (crossing with the early evening Scotrail service from Mallaig at Arisaig) and an 8pm(ish) return departure.

Using Scotrail for one direction wouldn't be possible - the daytime services are standing room only as it is in summer.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
When I caught the Jacobite about 13 years ago, we did the morning run and we crossed the afternoon train at Glenfinnan on the way back. If the second train is now pathed earlier, is it potentially crossing at Arisaig? (The Scotrail service crosses the returning morning train at Mallaig.)

Essan

When I caught the Jacobite about 13 years ago, we did the morning run and we crossed the afternoon train at Glenfinnan on the way back. If the second train is now pathed earlier, is it potentially crossing at Arisaig? (The Scotrail service crosses the returning morning train at Mallaig.)

Yes, the afternoon service gets in to Mallaig at 3pm now, so must cross with the morning service at Arisaig.