• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

sprinterguy

Established Member
A main issue with it is the body width is a touch too narrow, which made the Heljan tubby duff appear even more tubby placed alongside. The old Hornby one depsite its issues was at least dimensionally correct in its body.
I can't claim that's ever been apparent from a personal perspective. The old 1970s Hornby one seemed/seems crude by comparison when both were competing products in the market, thirty years ago, though it did look sufficiently like a class 47 to keep the childhood me happy at that time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I can't claim that's ever been apparent from a personal perspective. The old 1970s Hornby one seemed/seems crude by comparison when both were competing products in the market, thirty years ago, though it did look sufficiently like a class 47 to keep the childhood me happy at that time.
My teenage self was similarly happy with Lima's 47, when introduced to the OO market. I'd accumulated examples in blue, large logo, GWR150 green and Railfreight.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My teenage self was similarly happy with Lima's 47, when introduced to the OO market. I'd accumulated examples in blue, large logo, GWR150 green and Railfreight.

Yep, I had a fair few of them too. I even repainted a couple of them and detailed them up etc.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Yep, I had a fair few of them too. I even repainted a couple of them and detailed them up etc.
That was a 'rite of passage' for many model locos of the era :)
My parents' garage floor had a permanent tinge of monastral blue spray paint; and I'd lost count of how many home-made brass handrails, lamp-irons and pipes "pinged" to the kitchen floor, never to be found again. :D

Last edited:

SCH117X

Established Member
I found out trying to put etched grilles etc on a Lima 47 - the roof was too narrow for them. Eventually passed it on to someone who wanted the chassis and wasn't bothered by a huge hole in the roof

sprinterguy

Established Member
One thing I always thought Lima diesel/electric locos had going for them was that the livery detail always precisely applied (even when the liveries were occasionally fictitious!), and the colour match against the real thing was generally good.