• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

pitdiver

you know you are old when you can remember Lawrence Payne coming to your school and presenting the prizes on prize day. ( Lawrence Payne was an actor who played Sexton Blake on TV. He was a former pupil at my school)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
Must have been a good school; we had to make our own hole with the straw.
Being the biggiest in our class I had the job of taking the crate of milk upstairs to the classroom before the day started and returning it back down when empty.
Strange thing was I never drank milk then or now.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Being the biggiest in our class I had the job of taking the crate of milk upstairs to the classroom before the day started and returning it back down when empty.
Strange thing was I never drank milk then or now.
Probably you were therefore the only one they could trust not to dip into other peoples milk. Takes a certain age before one starts thinking like that.

nw1

Established Member
Given a year of birth, you under-calculate their age by 10 years by "missing a decade".

Happened to me earlier today when I heard someone on the radio talk about something that happened when they were 25, and they gave their year of birth as 199x. (didn't catch the exact year). My initial thought was "but no-one born in the 1990s will be 25 until next year!"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
You may now relive your youth :D
Well, thanks v much for that. It must have been the one I bought, but I was probably disappointed by the material on it. I never bought another of his records again, though I believe he was more successful in the UK than the USA as the 1960s progressed. He was a guitarist with a unique sound/style and played with some greats.

Howardh

Established Member
I saw a few pages of a Radio Times from 1973 on the web. Every programme was like it was on yesterday. The titles, cast, or the sports, presenters etc. Peter West introducing the cricket. I must have been 16 and I'm looking at it 50 years later.

Typhoon

Established Member
Now I really know I am getting older. The reason I give for this is because I have sat my first written GCSE exam (I sat Combined Science Biology) this morning - hopefully I have good results from these exams!
I hope the rest of them go well. I was still sitting exams in my 50s (having sat the Kent Test when I was 9 - I can still remember the format)!!

dangie

Established Member
When you reach for something on the bathroom shelf and in doing so you knock everything else off.

When you mow the lawn and constantly get your legs/feet tangled in the mower cable.

birchesgreen

Established Member
When you reach for something on the bathroom shelf and in doing so you knock everything else off.

When you mow the lawn and constantly get your legs/feet tangled in the mower cable.
These arn't really signs of age, i was doing stuff like this when i was a teenager!
Now I really know I am getting older. The reason I give for this is because I have sat my first written GCSE exam (I sat Combined Science Biology) this morning - hopefully I have good results from these exams!
Good luck! I was updating our college's e-learning for that course just a few weeks ago.

Calthrop

Established Member
When you wake up and have no idea what day it is. Unfortunately, this has happened more than once to me recently.
If it's any consolation: my brother -- a mere stripling of 66 (and by the way, an extremely bright guy in most respects) -- has had lifelong, an extremely poor sense of time / dates / scheduling / everything connected therewith; he very often has no idea what day it is. He occasionally opines that he ought to have been a prehistoric man, for whom all such matters would be covered just by "the past / now / the future": to heck with all the fussy stuff with which the rise of so-called civilisation has tried, to the utmost, to ruin life.