• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

TRain87

That's me done!

9 weeks, 3 exams, a practical, repetitive food on a nightly basis, many hours revising, many more hours in class, stress, drama, ups and downs.......but I finished!

As of Monday 22nd May I will be in my box, learning the 'proper' way to be a signaller. Thanks for all the help and good luck to all those who are just starting this journey!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KneeOn

That's me done!

9 weeks, 3 exams, a practical, repetitive food on a nightly basis, many hours revising, many more hours in class, stress, drama, ups and downs.......but I finished!

As of Monday 22nd May I will be in my box, learning the 'proper' way to be a signaller. Thanks for all the help and good luck to all those who are just starting this journey!
Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

magillmagic

That's me done!

Well done mate, it's all been worth it!

MylesHSG

That's me done!

Congratulations! Were you in Basingstoke?

TRain87

Hope you survived being Trundleised! Hope the rumours weren't true about the number of people that dropped out of your class.

Rumours? Lol news travels fast. Should have had 10 - 1 didn't come back, 1 went to York instead, 1 had a family emergency in India so left and one unfortunately failed week 5 exam so we ended the course with 6!

Sunset route

Established Member
Rumours? Lol news travels fast. Should have had 10 - 1 didn't come back, 1 went to York instead, 1 had a family emergency in India so left and one unfortunately failed week 5 exam so we ended the course with 6!

Nothing really changes then, when I went to signalling school (ahem lol) in 1989, we started with 16 in the class and finished with 8. The previous class had an even higher failure rate.

Established Member
Nothing really changes then, when I went to signalling school (ahem lol) in 1989, we started with 16 in the class and finished with 8. The previous class had an even higher failure rate.
A good friend of mine had his arm twisted to run a course for new signalmen around that time and ended up with three out of eight IIRC! Of course there wasn't all the suitability tests and hoops to jump through in those days and as long as you passed some basic tests / checks and the medical BR would take you on.

Dom68

Hi all, new poster alert!
I like many others before me just want to say thanks to all for the contributions made in this thread, they've proved invaluable to me and I'm sure will continue to do so if hopefully I progress as I wish to do.
I'm now at the stage of having completed and passed the 3 online tests, I've no idea how I passed as I didn't manage to even complete the numerical one!! I got to Q14 and it timed out on me so you can imagine my surprise to find I'd reached the benchmark required.
I've applied for the Dodding Hill grade 2 vacancy and will be applying for various grade 2-4 positions for a signalling pool for the same north London line within the next few days, I will let you know how / if I progress and the timescale taken to achieve this, whether successful or not. Thanks again to all who have gone before and have shared their experience on here, it has helped a bunch!

Wanderer84

Latest update from me.

I've received an "application withdrawn" message for my Basingstoke (Woking) application.

I do have a couple of rather "simple" questions regarding this...

1, Is "Application Withdrawn" any different to the "Unsuccessful" message I got when applying for a role last year? (Sorry if I seem rather Simple here).

2, Would it be worth emailing HR, asking for feedback and guidance on how to improve my applications?

As always, many thanks for any advice you can give.

Last edited:

NX

I would call HR, withdrawn usually means the position has been withdrawn.

One of my first applications was for Morton in Marsh listed as grade 3, the application was withdrawn then readvertised some weeks later as a grade 2.

Lasbrisas

Latest update from me.

I've received an "application withdrawn" message for my Basingstoke (Woking) application.

1, Is "Application Withdrawn" any different to the "Unsuccessful" message I got when applying for a role last year? (Sorry if I seem rather Simple here).

2, Would it be worth emailing HR, asking for feedback and guidance on how to improve my applications?

I have the same as you for the same location, I received an email with an attachment stating a more suitable person was found, I still have another 4 applications on the go so fingers crossed.

NX

I do seen a few vacancies (advertised interanally) that state clearly that "an suitable Candidate has been indenifited for this role, however if you feel you match the skills required please submit an application" or words to that effect.

Seems to be locations that displaced signallers are being moved into.

GingerRH

Latest update from me.

I have the same as you for the same location, I received an email with an attachment stating a more suitable person was found, I still have another 4 applications on the go so fingers crossed.

I believe there was a few vacancies at Basingstoke, all of which have been filled I believe.

Lasbrisas

I'm guessing: Wimbledon, Didcot, Feltham and Haslemere.

(Those are my 4 remaining, as well).

First 2 yes, didn't see Haslemere or Feltham, when did they come out ? My other 2 are Acton Wells/Richmond and 3 Bridges. Had a little bit of good news via email for Didcot, under consideration for Interview so there may be hope yet although I believe that was for a job pool. God this railway stuff takes ages and I have been out of work since March.

Last edited:

Wanderer84

First 2 yes, didn't see Haslemere or Feltham, when did they come out ?

Feltham was up recently, but I needed to play around with the job search for it to come up. Both are still up, to get Feltham, do a job search for signaller, without typing in postcode and distance. About 10-15 vacancies will show up. Feltham is the last one.

Latest update:
My Didcot application is being considered for interview as well. Here's hoping... ��

Last edited:

NX

When did you guys apply for TVSC ?
Was it in the last advert which closed last week?

NX

I much prefer the standard 12hr roster, once I'm here it makes no odds to me whether it's for eight or twelve, the only difference is on the latter you get much more time off, as I've a far old drive to and from work the less days I work the less it costs me.

Danny21212

Is the 70 questions a big factor in the selection process. Been struggling with a couple of answers

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Cheers mate. You wouldn't happen to know if the line blockage question is about an obstruction on the line or is it about t2 line blockages

They are about RT3180 line blockages (they haven't been called T2s; at least not officially; for some time now; so if I were you I'd start referring to them as simply line blockages from now on; on the "application form" anyway)