• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A happy incident, for once

ollyrogers

Having read the various tales of woe and misery when a ticket was not presented, I’d like to share my story with a much happier ending.

For some reason known only to the ticket office operative at Otford Station, I was charged £180.80 for a £20.80 OTF-Zone 1-6 day travelcard, which left me short of funds for the next day’s travel.

I’m a panic, I managed to convince them to release the balance of £160 back to my card and, while waiting for the funds to return, I was given this in lieu of a ticket for the day.

As Sod’s Law would have it, I managed to meet revenue/ guards on every train I went on, including a TfL/ BTP block at Charing Cross underground - who impressed me by taking me to one side and radioing ahead to my ultimate destination with my name and a description so they would let me through the barrier with minimum fuss.

Sometimes, it does go right!

Attachments

• 08B5FD20-C7E0-43A9-A200-34C54CE59C27.jpeg
    08B5FD20-C7E0-43A9-A200-34C54CE59C27.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 397
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thank you for sharing, a lovely respite from the usual doom and gloom!

I've had a similar ticket issued when I over-travelled from Manchester to Preston and ended up in Lancaster. The lovely people at the ticket office wrote me a stamped note like the above allowing me to travel back to Preston without a buying a new ticket. There are good people working on the railways, that's for sure!

RPI

Established Member
Having read the various tales of woe and misery when a ticket was not presented, I’d like to share my story with a much happier ending.

For some reason known only to the ticket office operative at Otford Station, I was charged £180.80 for a £20.80 OTF-Zone 1-6 day travelcard, which left me short of funds for the next day’s travel.

I’m a panic, I managed to convince them to release the balance of £160 back to my card and, while waiting for the funds to return, I was given this in lieu of a ticket for the day.

As Sod’s Law would have it, I managed to meet revenue/ guards on every train I went on, including a TfL/ BTP block at Charing Cross underground - who impressed me by taking me to one side and radioing ahead to my ultimate destination with my name and a description so they would let me through the barrier with minimum fuss.

Sometimes, it does go right!
Thank you for sharing, this kind of thing happens daily, but people don't take the time to post in places like this. :)

Daniel

Established Member
including a TfL/ BTP block at Charing Cross underground - who impressed me by taking me to one side and radioing ahead to my ultimate destination with my name and a description so they would let me through the barrier with minimum fuss.

Ah, it was very nice to meet you briefly and I'm glad all worked out well in the end! It was me you were speaking to.

If it helps, we weren't working a revenue block - we were in the area and had popped into the station just to improve relations with station colleagues and provide a visible presence to customers.

I'm glad it was beneficial meeting us on this occasion!