• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Alfa Pendular - Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
I'm planning on travelling from Faro to Lisbon in early August via Alfa Pendular. Has anyone on here used this before?

I have a FIP coupon so if I use that it'll only cost me €4 for a reservation each way. Looking online I can see Advance fares are available on the day I want to travel for €9 - is it worth waiting until I get there a couple of days before to book the reservation or is it likely to sell out, in which case the Advance would be a better option? I can also see an advance in First class for €14 - is there any benefit to this?

I can't find much info online about Alfa Pendular so any tips would be appreciated. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
I'm planning on travelling from Faro to Lisbon in early August via Alfa Pendular. Has anyone on here used this before?
only north of Lisbon.
I have a FIP coupon so if I use that it'll only cost me €4 for a reservation each way. Looking online I can see Advance fares are available on the day I want to travel for €9 - is it worth waiting until I get there a couple of days before to book the reservation or is it likely to sell out, in which case the Advance would be a better option? I can also see an advance in First class for €14 - is there any benefit to this?

I can't find much info online about Alfa Pendular so any tips would be appreciated. :)
First gets you 2+1 seating, not much else unless you want to use the onboard media - standard European stuff. See
https://www.alfapendular.com/

BahrainLad

I use both the AP and the IC from Tunes (north of Albufeira, its the junction where the South line meets the Algarve line) to/from Lisbon a few times a year. I would strongly recommend booking a seat on the service you want *now*, especially as you’re travelling in the peak holiday season. The last time I took the IC up to Lisbon, around 8am on a Tuesday morning in early June, it was completely full in 1st class - lots of American tourists going on a cruise with lots of luggage!

The Alfa is very comfortable and has recently been refurbished. The cafe/bar is laughably cheap - 0,80€ for a coffee, 1,20€ for a beer. Timekeeping is OK…I find you lose time on the twisty bits in the Alentejo but by the time you get to Pinhal Novo a bit of haste and timetable slack means you’re on time. The views from the 25 Abril bridge are spectacular. If you want the centre of Lisbon, I would get off at Entrecampos and then metro/bus/taxi to your final destination. A cab from the rank (will be plenty there) at Entrecampos to Cais do Sodre (for the Cascais line) will be €9 or so. Oriente is further out and takes a while to get into the centre But it’s very close to the airport if you want that.

Chriso

I used this a few weeks ago Lisbon to Porto and found first class to be very comfortable. As previously mentioned my train was full in first so I would book as soon as possible to avoid disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.