• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

As it stands, is it worth ordering HS2 stock?

aar0

An ideal time to have kept some IC225s in warm storage, and get the 91 in peak condition for 150mph +

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
An ideal time to have kept some IC225s in warm storage, and get the 91 in peak condition for 150mph +
You can't randomly keep old stock knocking about just incase something alters down the line. What are they pulling, coaching stock that should have been kept?

Bevan Price

Established Member
The obvious solution (to me, at least) is to buy trains that are around 250 metres now, and can fit on the existing infrastructure without any platform extensions etc, and then when the line does get all the way to Manchester, buy some extra vehicles to make them 400m / 2x200m. Like we did with the Pendolinos, HSTs, etc etc.
I don't think yjey would ever need trains longer than 250m if they stopped wasting so much space on under-used 1st Class areasa. One 1st Class coach per train would be more than adequate for most services.

aar0

You can't randomly keep old stock knocking about just incase something alters down the line. What are they pulling, coaching stock that should have been kept?
I know. It but it would be quite appropriate for how this government has mismanaged the project for a multi billion pound railway to open with 40 year old trains.
Err, how? They were designed for a service speed of 140mph only...
I’m sure with the money saved on brand new rolling stock they can be fettled up a bit. IC225 Turbo

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don't think yjey would ever need trains longer than 250m if they stopped wasting so much space on under-used 1st Class areasa. One 1st Class coach per train would be more than adequate for most services.

It’s been a while since I’ve been on an Avanti service with more than 1.5 coaches of first, and they are usually well filled. The two I was on at the weekend had almost every first class seat taken.