• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bradford Forster Square 4th Platform Funding Announced: what improvements would you like to see made?

William3000

Great news because it’s desperately needed. The amount of times Northern just double and even triple stack units meaning we have to walk two minutes down the platform to board a service is ridiculous.
Another short-sighted rationalisation. I think Bradford Forster Square once had about 7 platforms and Bradford Exchange about 10!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrianW

Established Member
Another short-sighted rationalisation. I think Bradford Forster Square once had about 7 platforms and Bradford Exchange about 10!
A few thoughts:

Circumstance/Priorities change over time. Train travel has decreased and increased. Dieselisation, esp the DMU, reduced the need for as many platforms. Commercial decisions 'pushed back' terminii to increase the 'town/city centre footprint.

Govt has announced 'funding'. Who will design/ approve/ spend the 'money'- it can't be spent this side of a General Election.'Commitments' can be 'de-commited'- noting HS2.

There are pros and cons re Platform 0, or Platform 4, or something else- talk-talk and prevarication instead off action.

Regarding trams etc- I see some potential in terms of linking the three 'central' Bradford stations, but not in 'converting from heavy rail.

Phone apps help users decide which station for next train to Leeds/ London etc.

How many (might) travel Ilkley/Keighley/Shipley- Halifax/ Hebden Bridge/ Huddersfield?

xotGD

Established Member
How many (might) travel Ilkley/Keighley/Shipley- Halifax/ Hebden Bridge/ Huddersfield?
Well there would be a heck of a lot more if there was a single station with cross-platform connections.

And there will be even fewer than at present if Interchange is replaced with a new station that is even further from Forster Square.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Well there would be a heck of a lot more if there was a single station with cross-platform connections.

Its not neccesary to close either BFS or BI or make them through stations to enable a Cross link to enable silly things like removing the need to go via Leeds

Besides loosing termimating capacity at BFS wouldn't be a good idea for a number of reasons, namely Northern and LNER would have to terminate elsewhere.

MichaelTrains

The simple solution is to give Bradford train stations that are fit for purpose.

The current Forster Square station hasn't seen any improvements since it was built over 30 years ago.

The lift rarely works these days, so a trip past beggar central and those arches is needed to escape the station if you're not wanting the retail park.

It shouldn't be hard in 2024 to make sure both the Interchange and Forster Square have basic working amenities like toilets etc.

Forster Square must be the busiest station on the network without toilets. It's madness.

Bantamzen

Established Member
The simple solution is to give Bradford train stations that are fit for purpose.

The current Forster Square station hasn't seen any improvements since it was built over 30 years ago.

The lift rarely works these days, so a trip past beggar central and those arches is needed to escape the station if you're not wanting the retail park.

It shouldn't be hard in 2024 to make sure both the Interchange and Forster Square have basic working amenities like toilets etc.

Forster Square must be the busiest station on the network without toilets. It's madness.
Well currently both stations are without facilities whilst the bus station is out of commission! Add to that the closure of the Baildon line, and the myriad of roadworks causing all sorts of pubic transport issues in Bradford. But that's for other rants / threads...

But yeah the focus for Forster Square should be to improve the waiting area outside of the barriers, and the approaches. I know in the past Bradford Council had ideas on using the arches on the ramp for retail units, but given the downturn in the economy post-covid there probably won't be much take up. However my thought was to install Perspex walls to close each of them off (with a secure way in of course), that way they can no longer be used as shelter for homeless people but can still be used for the lighting & possibly other art displays for next year. Obviously this requires finding those that use them spaces in council accommodation (although the sad reality is that many end up back on the streets), but it would help reduce anti-social behaviour especially late at night. Perhaps improving the entrance to the ramp on Cheapside with better lighting, signage, information would help a bit?

Additionally the approach that goes behind the Midland Hotel could be improved with better lighting & signage. I note that on Lower Kirkgate the pedestrian crossing is being re-aligned with it's exit which is a positive move, its just a shame that there is no obvious entrance to Broadway directly opposite (although word is that M&S may be pulling out soon, so the opportunity is there for the owners of Broadway should they wish).

Neptune

Established Member
Yes I saw that about M&S pulling out of Bradford. That really does feel like a final nail in the coffin seeing as there will be nothing left except all the lavish bankrupting vanity schemes such as Darley Street Market and Urban village and a pond in Centenary Square that nobody wanted.

Capital of Culture? It just shows you what a sham title it is if a doomed city is considered for something like this.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yes I saw that about M&S pulling out of Bradford. That really does feel like a final nail in the coffin seeing as there will be nothing left except all the lavish bankrupting vanity schemes such as Darley Street Market and Urban village and a pond in Centenary Square that nobody wanted.

Capital of Culture? It just shows you what a sham title it is if a doomed city is considered for something like this.
Just straying briefly OT, I don't think its just Bradford that M&S are pulling out from, its a rapidly dying brand.

Neptune

Established Member
From reading the article they are closing one store in West Yorkshire and have chosen Bradford city centre. The others around the county are staying including the one at the rapidly diminishing White Rose Centre and at the out of town Owlcotes Centre.

Says it all to me about Bradford I’m afraid and the city’s railway facilities can’t be blamed for this either. It seems the council has done its very best to run the city into the ground and it’s definitely succeeding.

BrianW

Established Member
Just straying briefly OT, I don't think its just Bradford that M&S are pulling out from, its a rapidly dying brand.
How far will the M&S in Leeds be- I imagine the 'dying brand' will be retaining a presence in the 'regional capital'? Bradford, and its stations, will still be better served than many a 'Level 2' city.

Neptune

Established Member
Bradford is essentially a suburb of Leeds now.

As someone born in Bradford and raised in the district I find its decline sad.

Bantamzen

Established Member
From reading the article they are closing one store in West Yorkshire and have chosen Bradford city centre. The others around the county are staying including the one at the rapidly diminishing White Rose Centre and at the out of town Owlcotes Centre.

Says it all to me about Bradford I’m afraid and the city’s railway facilities can’t be blamed for this either. It seems the council has done its very best to run the city into the ground and it’s definitely succeeding.

How far will the M&S in Leeds be- I imagine the 'dying brand' will be retaining a presence in the 'regional capital'? Bradford, and its stations, will still be better served than many a 'Level 2' city.
The fact that M&S will not be offering staff in Bradford options at other branches speaks volumes. Even at the 'regional capital' branch', you can sense its teetering on the edge. I've said similar on a local social media group, I'd be amazed if M&S makes it out of this decade.

Bradford is essentially a suburb of Leeds now.

As someone born in Bradford and raised in the district I find its decline sad.
The same is true everywhere though, look at Greater Manchester as it swallows up the towns around it. I think it has only gotten worse since regional mayors have become a thing. Politicians are rarely capable of focusing on one thing at a time, so having a multitude of small cities and towns must be mind boggling for them... <D

Even then the big cities are in decline, I work in Leeds and it has definitely got considerably worse in the last decade as the grime encroaches closer and closer to the retail centre. And don't get me started about Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester.... Yikes!! o_O

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

The White Rose Centre shop is fairly modern, they occupy the former Debenhams unit. Unfortunately they haven't reopened the doors leading to the bus station meaning bus passengers must walk round the outside.

However I'm not convinced the WRC is "rapidly diminishing" as you put it- as much as if it were up to my benign dictatorship of West Yorkshire I'd demolish the lot and return the site to nature. Whilst there are still a good number of unoccupied units behind hoardings (between the M&S and the food court) it has had investment with a cinema being added and it seems to be morphing into more of an "entertainment complex" with more restaurants. It's also seemed far busier than it did five or six years ago when I've visited more recently.

Back on Bradford, the way the city has declined even over the last ten years or so is quite shocking. Not sure a "Capital of Culture" title is going to do much help, much like neighbouring Kirklees the council needs ripping up and starting again, with an end to the nepotism, corruption, and councillors who seem more interested in virtue-signalling about a war a continent away than in fixing potholes and getting the bins emptied on time. Sadly I suspect there's more chance of both Bradford City and Bradford (Park Avenue) facing each other in the Premier League.

Neptune

Established Member
The White Rose Centre shop is fairly modern, they occupy the former Debenhams unit. Unfortunately they haven't reopened the doors leading to the bus station meaning bus passengers must walk round the outside.

However I'm not convinced the WRC is "rapidly diminishing" as you put it- as much as if it were up to my benign dictatorship of West Yorkshire I'd demolish the lot and return the site to nature. Whilst there are still a good number of unoccupied units behind hoardings (between the M&S and the food court) it has had investment with a cinema being added and it seems to be morphing into more of an "entertainment complex" with more restaurants. It's also seemed far busier than it did five or six years ago when I've visited more recently.
I went just before Christmas for the first time since before covid and it was definitely emptier than before with fewer people than I remember. The large M&S store was certainly good enough for me.
Back on Bradford, the way the city has declined even over the last ten years or so is quite shocking.
I compare it to the late 90’s when it was decent and we’d never consider going shopping in Leeds. Since the riots (3 or so over a 5 year period if I seem to remember) it’s just got worse and worse as a place.
Not sure a "Capital of Culture" title is going to do much help, much like neighbouring Kirklees the council needs ripping up and starting again, with an end to the nepotism, corruption, and councillors who seem more interested in virtue-signalling about a war a continent away than in fixing potholes and getting the bins emptied on time.
Funnily enough guess what Bradford Council were discussing the night before the announcement that they were effectively bankrupt.
Sadly I suspect there's more chance of both Bradford City and Bradford (Park Avenue) facing each other in the Premier League.
Well I’m off to VP to watch a cup semi tonight so smalls steps for us :D

Bantamzen

Established Member
Well I’m off to VP to watch a cup semi tonight so smalls steps for us :D
Up the chickens! I just hope it doesn't go to penalties, buses are very thin on the ground for me shortly after 10 and there's just the last RRB from Forster Square at 23:20 after the 22:11 Skipton > RRB from Shipley combo!

Neptune

Established Member
Up the chickens! I just hope it doesn't go to penalties, buses are very thin on the ground for me shortly after 10 and there's just the last RRB from Forster Square at 23:20 after the 22:11 Skipton > RRB from Shipley combo!
Yeah fingers crossed. Don’t think it’ll be quite the same as the Villa semi but hey, Wembley and all that. I’ve got a nice drive home afterwards, no chance of a train anywhere close to Northallerton (my nearest station but it’s still a 20 minute drive home from there) even if it’s finished in 90 minutes. Luckily I’m wfh tomorrow.

MichaelTrains

Well currently both stations are without facilities whilst the bus station is out of commission! Add to that the closure of the Baildon line, and the myriad of roadworks causing all sorts of pubic transport issues in Bradford. But that's for other rants / threads...

But yeah the focus for Forster Square should be to improve the waiting area outside of the barriers, and the approaches. I know in the past Bradford Council had ideas on using the arches on the ramp for retail units, but given the downturn in the economy post-covid there probably won't be much take up. However my thought was to install Perspex walls to close each of them off (with a secure way in of course), that way they can no longer be used as shelter for homeless people but can still be used for the lighting & possibly other art displays for next year. Obviously this requires finding those that use them spaces in council accommodation (although the sad reality is that many end up back on the streets), but it would help reduce anti-social behaviour especially late at night. Perhaps improving the entrance to the ramp on Cheapside with better lighting, signage, information would help a bit?

Additionally the approach that goes behind the Midland Hotel could be improved with better lighting & signage. I note that on Lower Kirkgate the pedestrian crossing is being re-aligned with it's exit which is a positive move, its just a shame that there is no obvious entrance to Broadway directly opposite (although word is that M&S may be pulling out soon, so the opportunity is there for the owners of Broadway should they wish).
Even with the current issues at the Interchange to the best of my knowledge there has never been a toilet at Forster Square which is quite scandalous.

The approach that goes behind the Midland Hotel is just as bad at night with homeless people taking drugs and drinking in the car park.

The safest way I’ve found is through the Retail Park and along Canal Road to the Broadway.

Hopefully with M&S going they’ll allow the old entrance to be reopened which would save a bit of time.

Yeah fingers crossed. Don’t think it’ll be quite the same as the Villa semi but hey, Wembley and all that. I’ve got a nice drive home afterwards, no chance of a train anywhere close to Northallerton (my nearest station but it’s still a 20 minute drive home from there) even if it’s finished in 90 minutes. Luckily I’m wfh tomorrow.

I live just over the road from Valley Parade but will watch the game on Sky tonight.

Andyh82

Established Member
I went just before Christmas for the first time since before covid and it was definitely emptier than before with fewer people than I remember. The large M&S store was certainly good enough for me.

I compare it to the late 90’s when it was decent and we’d never consider going shopping in Leeds. Since the riots (3 or so over a 5 year period if I seem to remember) it’s just got worse and worse as a place.
I think Bradford went down hill as a place due to a combination of the riots, the decade long ‘big city centre hole’ debacle and then associated with that, all the existing shops in the city were in limbo so carried on with small dated stores year after year because they were always on the verge of moving.

There is also the crime and bad driving and a perception that the police are scared of seriously tackling it.

I wonder how much the extensive roadworks and road closures meaning long delays for car and bus users has added to the decline in the latter half of 2023

But yes the council have their head in the sand all the time and just crow on about the city’s population being the youngest in Britain or whatever. They are constantly comparing themselves to Leeds, whereas they are increasingly behind Halifax

Bringing it back to railways, they should improve FSq as it is, I wouldn’t be signing off a massive project to move the station as it won’t generate any pay back.

Neptune

Established Member
I think Bradford went down hill as a place due to a combination of the riots, the decade long ‘big city centre hole’ debacle and then associated with that, all the existing shops in the city were in limbo so carried on with small dated stores year after year because they were always on the verge of moving.

There is also the crime and bad driving and a perception that the police are scared of seriously tackling it.

I wonder how much the extensive roadworks and road closures meaning long delays for car and bus users has added to the decline in the latter half of 2023

But yes the council have their head in the sand all the time and just crow on about the city’s population being the youngest in Britain or whatever. They are constantly comparing themselves to Leeds, whereas they are increasingly behind Halifax

Bringing it back to railways, they should improve FSq as it is, I wouldn’t be signing off a massive project to move the station as it won’t generate any pay back.
100% agree with all of that.

deltic08

On Moderation
It isn’t quite. The limited stop trains take about that long but whether a stop at Skipton and passage through to Colne could be pathed in 24 minutes is doubtful - you’re not going to get a continuous 60mph line speed for the whole journey
You are correct. I have just looked it up, it is 41 to 43 minutes.
The distance is less then 10.5 miles. Apart from each end, there is no reason for linespeed to be less than 60mph, even 70mph. With one stop at Earby that would take 13 minutes. Leeds-Harrogate is 18 miles and takes 29 minutes with one stop at Horsforth on gradients more severe than Skipton-Colne and a 20mph psr at former Crimple Junction near Harrogate.
Assuming Leeds and half of Bradford passengers would use Copy Pit means that the other half of Bradford, Wharfedale and Airedale would use Skipton-Colne in a lot less time than via Leeds. Train-bus-train is no incentive over a much faster through train.
Loath? That’s a very strong word for someone who has an opposing opinion to yourself. Almost sounds like you live life in the realms of ‘my way or the highway’.

Anyway you don’t actually know me, you never know, you might find me alright. I mean I live life in the world of realism not historic fantasy but that doesn’t particularly make me loathsome does it? I certainly aren’t responsible for Britain’s decline as you seem to intimate, that‘s quite an accusation. For what it’s worth I’ve never voted Tory and voted remain (the current government and Brexit are two very strong reasons for the decline of this country from where I’m sitting, thank god for my EU passport).

I certainly wouldn’t pass such an opinion on someone I didn’t even know.
I don't need to know you. It comes over in your posting.
Also there’s a massive difference between negativity and realism as I’m sure you know. The problem here as I see it is that any form of realism from someone in the industry who understands finances and cost-benefit ratios etc… will always be shouted down as negative when the reality of poor BCR’s and the fact there’s no money in the pot is pointed out. If I think it’s worthwhile I’d say so but all this reversing Beeching stuff very rarely is.

Anyway I’ve stopped laughing at those digs and accusations now so let me continue with my right to reply from my place in the land of realism.

Realism is not exclusive to you. I am a retired intensive care consultant. Turning off a life support machine in front of relatives after asking can their loved ones organs be harvested is at the peak of realism. Thoughts of "You are killing my relative so you can take their organs" is almost audible.
BCR for Skipton-Colne is positive unlike HS2, Ratho-Bathgate-Airdrie and Newtonhall-Teedbank. They are all negative but still being built even though less worthy of opening than Skipton-Colne so why bother with BCR formulae. Harrogate-Ripon reinstatement has a positive BCR of 2.2 and Capex BCR of 4.6 but has been dismissed by Government.
Any reversing Beeching 'stuff' should be reinstated with a positive BCR.
So we make the same mistakes as before? You know what they say about trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

It’s 41 minutes for the stopper which takes it over the hour, not the convenient 36 minutes that takes it under the magic hour mark (the semi fast time) that you seem to be confused with so if you are looking at a fast service down the valley does that not undo the argument?

Also is under 22 minutes (so 21 minutes or why would you say ‘under 22 minutes’ and not ‘20 minutes’ for instance) Colne - Skipton with one stop a guess or is it based on realism. Are there no more stops planned (I thought there were a few) or are you only saying that to suit your sub 1 hour argument?
Making the two stations nearer together is not making another mistake. It is righting a mistake made in the 1970s

I have already agreed it is 41 minutes by all stations services. It still would take less than an hour from Leeds to Colne. Class 333/331 will accelerate to 60mph in less than a minute, class 195 only a few seconds longer. With one stop at Earby, journey time would be 13 minutes with linespeed of 60mph. Even at 40 minutes Skipton-Colne, it would still be quicker than bus by through train.
22 minutes was just not plucked out of the air. It was my original figure of 36 +2 minutes station time +22 minutes onward to Colne to make it 60 minutes or 21 minutes to make it under the hour. It was no fix to enforce my argument. You say you are not negative?

Yes if the mega plans for transpennine freight are to be fulfilled.

Can you show me that nobody does that or is it just a guess?

It was previously on their website and mentioned a lot in a previous thread.

Leeds station throat is much busier now and TRU will limit it further from the Aire Valley. Cross pennine will be catered for better by this using the Healey Mills route as now thanks to the planned grade separation at Thornhill Junction. How many of those 41 paths were overnight when there are far less trains and zero passenger paths.

As I said before, this gap in the Pennines will allow more wagons to be added to freight trains without having to double head for Pennine gradients.
Leeds west end station throat even with busier TRU will still be less busy without 41 daily coal trains crossing. It was calculated only 6 freight trains would use Skipton-Colne per day.
How many more TRU trains will there be? By my calculation there will be one additional all stations stopper per hour.

No, not a guess. It is realism. None in their right mind would go train-bus-train when there is a through train and much quicker.
Tell me please, if this is such a good scheme why there has still not been a single spade in the ground since SELRAP’s inception? I’ve said before that they’d be better campaigning for a second Copy Pit service which connects to the Colne service at Rose Grove (cross island platform so perfect).

Sorry if this isn’t the expensive and unrealistic Beeching reverse you were looking for.

Because a further £300,000 needs spending on studies, then a couple of million on buying back the trackbed and lastly designing the track and bed, drainage signalling and station buildings that have been costed at £300million when available.
Expensive maybe but not unrealistic. Spending £9billion of HS2 money on the same length of dual carriageway in Northamptonshire is expensive when the money was supposed to be spent on railways in the North.

Bantamzen

Established Member
You are correct. I have just looked it up, it is 41 to 43 minutes.
The distance is less then 10.5 miles. Apart from each end, there is no reason for linespeed to be less than 60mph, even 70mph. With one stop at Earby that would take 13 minutes. Leeds-Harrogate is 18 miles and takes 29 minutes with one stop at Horsforth on gradients more severe than Skipton-Colne and a 20mph psr at former Crimple Junction near Harrogate.
Assuming Leeds and half of Bradford passengers would use Copy Pit means that the other half of Bradford, Wharfedale and Airedale would use Skipton-Colne in a lot less time than via Leeds. Train-bus-train is no incentive over a much faster through train.

I don't need to know you. It comes over in your posting.

Realism is not exclusive to you. I am a retired intensive care consultant. Turning off a life support machine in front of relatives after asking can their loved ones organs be harvested is at the peak of realism. Thoughts of "You are killing my relative so you can take their organs" is almost audible.
BCR for Skipton-Colne is positive unlike HS2, Ratho-Bathgate-Airdrie and Newtonhall-Teedbank. They are all negative but still being built even though less worthy of opening than Skipton-Colne so why bother with BCR formulae. Harrogate-Ripon reinstatement has a positive BCR of 2.2 and Capex BCR of 4.6 but has been dismissed by Government.
Any reversing Beeching 'stuff' should be reinstated with a positive BCR.

Making the two stations nearer together is not making another mistake. It is righting a mistake made in the 1970s

I have already agreed it is 41 minutes by all stations services. It still would take less than an hour from Leeds to Colne. Class 333/331 will accelerate to 60mph in less than a minute, class 195 only a few seconds longer. With one stop at Earby, journey time would be 13 minutes with linespeed of 60mph. Even at 40 minutes Skipton-Colne, it would still be quicker than bus by through train.
22 minutes was just not plucked out of the air. It was my original figure of 36 +2 minutes station time +22 minutes onward to Colne to make it 60 minutes or 21 minutes to make it under the hour. It was no fix to enforce my argument. You say you are not negative?

As I said before, this gap in the Pennines will allow more wagons to be added to freight trains without having to double head for Pennine gradients.
Leeds west end station throat even with busier TRU will still be less busy without 41 daily coal trains crossing. It was calculated only 6 freight trains would use Skipton-Colne per day.
How many more TRU trains will there be? By my calculation there will be one additional all stations stopper per hour.

No, not a guess. It is realism. None in their right mind would go train-bus-train when there is a through train and much quicker.

Because a further £300,000 needs spending on studies, then a couple of million on buying back the trackbed and lastly designing the track and bed, drainage signalling and station buildings that have been costed at £300million when available.
Expensive maybe but not unrealistic. Spending £9billion of HS2 money on the same length of dual carriageway in Northamptonshire is expensive when the money was supposed to be spent on railways in the North.
Is there any chance we could park the Skipton - Colne debate in it's own thread please?

MichaelTrains

I took this picture this morning. As you can see it’s all about to become a one way system with a new bus station hub to the right of the old post office building.

You can see just how close it is to the soon to be vacant big M&S building at the Broadway.

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 62

Halifaxlad

Established Member
Is there any chance we could park the Skipton - Colne debate in it's own thread please?

I think Skipton to Colne along with Wortley curve could be relevant to Bradford although that would be for a thread on a Bradford through station connecting Bradford North to East certainly not for a thread about improving the existing terminus which would be separate from any new through line!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I took this picture this morning. As you can see it’s all about to become a one way system with a new bus station hub to the right of the old post office building.

You can see just how close it is to the soon to be vacant big M&S building at the Broadway.
I'm afraid I can't determine anything from that photo without already being very familiar with the current setup in Bradford city centre.

Veteran Member
I'm afraid I can't determine anything from that photo without already being very familiar with the current setup in Bradford city centre.
OK: Broadway shopping centre is to the left, Midland Hotel centre, HMRC toright (with the station beyond), building site (former Sorting Office) just off picture to the right.
The former Post Office and the Cathedral are behind the camera.

JR108

Why does every ’good plan’ for railways in Bradford always seem to include either demolition of buildings the person suggesting it has absolutely no jurisdiction over or moving the railway out of the city which seems to be the inept ‘I wouldn’t trust them to run a bath‘ council’s favoured plan.
The suggestion to knock down Centenary Court, is only that, 'a suggestion'. I said this in the context of Bfd. Council having purchased the old MSCP on Hall Ings to create a new pedestrian plaza and gateway to the Interchange. Centenary Court is a modern building which was probably built to a high specification, whether or not it could be demolished is a matter of debate /costings. It is probably not possible to remove the building when post Tax Office it highly likely that it would be converted into apartments and sold on. So, it is not going to removed anytime soon. Still other cities have demolished buildings to create better access point to there stations, Glasgow Queen Street & Liverpool Lime Street spring to mind. Bfd., FQ however, does need a better frontage. Walking round the back of the Midland Hotel is only tracing the footsteps of the old Goods Entrance when the original frontage was indeed on Lower Kirkgate. As others have mentioned the M&S store in the Broadway has been earmarked for closure and perhaps a new entrance could be created from the shopping centre? Another idea would be to create a Sheffield-style Winter Gardens on the site of the old Royal Mail sorting office. Only ideas.

Halifaxlad

Established Member
As others have mentioned the M&S store in the Broadway has been earmarked for closure and perhaps a new entrance could be created from the shopping centre? Another idea would be to create a Sheffield-style Winter Gardens on the site of the old Royal Mail sorting office. Only ideas.

I can't see the owners of Broadway wanting to create another entrance but considering Well St being reopened I would have thought the Council might want to straighten out Lower Kirkgate and make it easier for buses.

JR108

As others have mentioned the M&S store in the Broadway has been earmarked for closure and perhaps a new entrance could be created from the shopping centre? Another idea would be to create a Sheffield-style Winter Gardens on the site of the old Royal Mail sorting office. Only ideas.
Halifax lad said;
I can't see the owners of Broadway wanting to create another entrance but considering Well St being reopened I would have thought the Council might want to straighten out Lower Kirkgate and make it easier for buses.
Another entrance would certainly cost money and the shopping centre owners will want to re-let the space as retail once M&S vacate. However, how much interest will there actually be from other retailers? This interesting video from 'The Wandering Turnip' looks at the situation in nearby Leeds.
. If this is happening in Leeds, the situation in Bfd., is likely to be much worse. Therefore, creating another entrance might not be such a bad idea, if it generates extra footfall.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The new bus station and metro office are going on the corner where the post office used to be.
When you say "new bus station" do you mean a temporary one to deal with the immediate problem at Interchange? Or have Metro and Bradford Council pulled their fingers out and moved to come up with a more permanent plan?
Is there coverage of this from any news organisations or official sources?