• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Britain's Railways Then and Now" - on "That's TV" channel 26/02/2024 and following days

John Webb

Established Member
Just seen the Great Western-related programme, one of several made by Ian Allan around 1996, on this channel. (Unfortunately not repeated later in the day.)
Tues 27th: 12:20 to 13:35 "Southern Railway"
Weds 28th: 12:25 to 13:40 "LMS"
Thurs 29th: 12:20 to 13:40 "LNER"
Friday 1st March: 12:15 to 13:30 "British Railways"

("That's TV" is channel 56 on Freeview and 150 on Virgin.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
Just seen the Great Western-related programme, one of several made by Ian Allan around 1996, on this channel. (Unfortunately not repeated later in the day.)
Tues 27th: 12:20 to 13:35 "Southern Railway"
Weds 28th: 12:25 to 13:40 "LMS"
Thurs 29th: 12:20 to 13:40 "LNER"
Friday 1st March: 12:15 to 13:30 "British Railways"

("That's TV" is channel 56 on Freeview and 150 on Virgin.)
Thanks for posting this John, if you were nearer i'd buy you a beer. Watched todays and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next 3.
It's great when people post things like this.

John Webb

Established Member
Thanks for posting this John, if you were nearer i'd buy you a beer. Watched todays and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the next 3.
It's great when people post things like this.
My pleasure. But I can't drink beer, alas, but thanks for the thought.

NB SERIES REPEAT at 5AM on That's TV Thursday 29th Feb onwards, I've noticed.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
NB SERIES REPEAT at 5AM on That's TV Thursday 29th Feb onwards, I've noticed.
Virgins guide says British Railway Journeys at that time. It could be wrong and often is!

The Then and Now programmes are interesting. The "now" segments show how dull the railway has become in the 30 years since it was filmed. I remember the NRMs class 71 being let loose on the network but sadly did not ride behind it. I don`t suppose it`ll ever happen again.

John Webb

Established Member
Sorry, it's WEDNESDAY 6th MARCH the repeats start at 5am. I've checked and it seems that Freeview doesn't transmit 'That's TV' from 4am to 6am for some reason......

Last edited:

75A

Established Member
It's there on Sky, and I' ve set it to record the first one which I missed.
At 5am tomorrow on the same channel there's a programme called British Railway Journey which is about The Severn Valley & The Cotswolds, in the 1st episode. It's a series which is on daily at the same time - 5am, until Wednesday when it's back to Railways - Then and Now GWR.

AndrewE

Established Member
I wondered whether it might be a broadcast vs internet thing. Maybe 4 - 6 am is reserved for transmitter maintainance.
It's a pity my Manhatten box is refusing to record!

Darandio

Established Member
For anyone with Amazon Prime they are also available to watch (with ads) on their Freevee service.

AndrewE

Established Member
Sorry, it's WEDNESDAY 6th MARCH the repeats start at 5am. I've checked and it seems that Freeview doesn't transmit 'That's TV' from 4am to 6am for some reason......
Nope, Freeview still says back at 6am. Bummer.