• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cable troughing - renewal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Apologies as this will likely be a very boring post to some.

In my area (Yorkshire) it seems that in loads of places cable troughing is being renewed. Does anyone know why? I can't think of any links around the locations - electrified, non-electrified, upgraded and unchanged lines are all having the work done. Is it a project to make sure the location of cabling is known properly, or is the cable itself also being renewed at the same time? Or is the existing troughing just life expired?

Just asking because I'm nosey and it seems to have started everywhere I go in the last couple of weeks!

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CAF397

Sometimes cable troughing is renewed prior to resignalling schemes or infrastructure upgrades For example between Church Fenton and Colton the troughing was renewed a year or so before the piles for the OLE were installed.

Most old runs are also made of concrete which would have a limited life, and become damaged. Water ingress, rodent access or trespass/vandalism risk may see troughing upgraded.

Can we ask what routes you've noticed this on?

skyhigh

Established Member
Can we ask what routes you've noticed this on?
Off the top of my head -
Around Armley Neutral Section
Between Wakefield Westgate-Outwood
Between Castleford-Pontefract
Between Woodlesford-Methley Jn

There are more locations but I can't remember them right now!

I think it’s to do with the renewal of troughing in the region being outsourced to a contractor so they’re going through a big list of areas and doing it all at once, as and when they can - rather than in sequence alongside other current projects in the areas. All the areas you’ve spotted would be covered in the broad umbrella of being part of the TRU (Transpennine Route Upgrade) which has its own thread.

Annetts key

Established Member
This is a generic answer, as I don’t know the specifics of the areas mentioned.

Typically, it’s to create extra capacity for more cables. The existing SCT (surface concrete troughing) is removed and replaced with larger SCT (or the plastic version). Larger, in that the width is bigger.

alxndr

Established Member
No idea if it applies to those areas but there were some changes to suitablity recommendations made last year after they discovered that some types of plastic troughing was more flammable than the manufacturer stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.