• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Churnet Valley Gala

Penmorfa

An excellent gala last weekend, the highlight for me being the double headed S160's to Ipstones. Does anyone know what the large logo 47 was at Cheddleton please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Yes, I fully agree, a stunning ride and the S160’s were also a highlight for me. Also noteworthy was the quality of the catering and friendliness of the volunteers. The timetable probably needs a tweak in the future though.

Here’s some footage of Pendennis Castle struggling up the bank to Ipstones, a video of the double-headed S160’s will follow on my channel on Sunday. The crew did really well to get Pendennis Castle going again after coming to a stand in the worst possible place.

IMG_4904.jpegIMG_4921.jpegIMG_1307.jpegIMG_4873.jpeg

Last edited:

Teaboy1

Gosh, what sort of gradient was that??
Brilliant display of throttle work by driver. Classic bit of "get her rolling and leave it to her to sort herself out"
Loved the graffiti on the brick lineside shed!
Churnet Valley definitely on my to-do list!!
Exxcellent footage.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Brilliant display of throttle work by driver. Classic bit of "get her rolling and leave it to her to sort herself out"
Exxcellent footage.

The ruling gradient between Leekbrook Junction and Ipstones is 1:39. Most of it is graded between 1:40 to 1:45 I believe, so it’s steeper than (say) the NYMR between Grosmont and Goathland.

Iskra

Established Member
Exxcellent footage.
Yes, the footage doesn’t really do the gradient justice, you need to visit to appreciate it fully.

My footage of the double-headed S160’s up the same gradient is now released.

The video of the Standard 4 will be out next Sunday morning to complete the series :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes, the footage doesn’t really do the gradient justice, you need to visit to appreciate it fully.

My footage of the double-headed S160’s up the same gradient is now released.

The video of the Standard 4 will be out next Sunday morning to complete the series :)

Excellent bit of footage @Iskra!