• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 365 PBC Unit and PIS system

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Someone posted a link to some recordings of the original class 365 sound files couple of years back. I've got them downloaded somewhere.

You'll know if you've got the originals as obe of the announcements is 'This train is for bLondon Kings Cross' :D
Some of the annoucements were rather patronising - I remember telling passengers to beware of the hustle alarm, another saying that payphone was provided!

WMasterJedi

Someone posted a link to some recordings of the original class 365 sound files couple of years back. I've got them downloaded somewhere.

You'll know if you've got the originals as obe of the announcements is 'This train is for bLondon Kings Cross' :D
Some of the annoucements were rather patronising - I remember telling passengers to beware of the hustle alarm, another saying that payphone was provided!
If it’s the ones on the Alan Thomson sim website then they are not originals instead pretty good recordings.

365 Networker

Update!
Just confirmed the order of another working controller that has been tested at ilford depot!
Has it arrived yet? It might also be an idea to ask your contact if you can get a copy of the instruction manuals just in case the controller becomes corrupted again - the manual may have the guide for fixing this.

WMasterJedi

Has it arrived yet? It might also be an idea to ask your contact if you can get a copy of the instruction manuals just in case the controller becomes corrupted again - the manual may have the guide for fixing this.
I don’t actually have a contact at ilford depot, but the person who I’m buying this from does and that’s why it’s been tested and I don’t thing I’ll need a manual as the reason it got corrupted was through my own incompetence.

It hasn’t arrived yet but I’ll keep you updated when it does!

WMasterJedi

I don’t actually have a contact at ilford depot, but the person who I’m buying this from does and that’s why it’s been tested and I don’t thing I’ll need a manual as the reason it got corrupted was through my own incompetence.

It hasn’t arrived yet but I’ll keep you updated when it does!
It has arrived!

And working too!

When I put in route codes, even ones that had worked on the other I get the invalid code message but I believe that’s due to it not being master so it just does that for every code.

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31

365 Networker

It has arrived!

And working too!

When I put in route codes, even ones that had worked on the other I get the invalid code message but I believe that’s due to it not being master so it just does that for every code.
Does it display destinations on the dot matrix? I note the sticker which says “not compatible with Hornsey“ - perhaps that means this was from one of the ex connex units - therefore being set up for southern region destinations. Looking at the other unit you have, this one does actually look older - I suspect it may be from the original green LCD displays that the 365s used to have. Note the different font used on the buttons.

WMasterJedi

Does it display destinations on the dot matrix? I note the sticker which says “not compatible with Hornsey“ - perhaps that means this was from one of the ex connex units - therefore being set up for southern region destinations. Looking at the other unit you have, this one does actually look older - I suspect it may be from the original green LCD displays that the 365s used to have. Note the different font used on the buttons.
Could be, however there is a bombardier sticker with the supply date of 2013.

WMasterJedi

To note the green LCD displays were not replaced instead they were converted into dot matrix and my display is one of those converted ones.

WMasterJedi

That makes sense. Have you managed to get the destinations to show on the dot matrix?
I previously did it with my other by putting it into master however I never figured out how to do that and however I did it may of resulted in the program becoming corrupt, so until I can figure out how to put it into master the correct way, I won’t be able to show destinations.

365 Networker

I previously did it with my other by putting it into master however I never figured out how to do that and however I did it may of resulted in the program becoming corrupt, so until I can figure out how to put it into master the correct way, I won’t be able to show destinations.
Yes – don’t risk corrupting it again. I think the best thing to do would be to try and get an old manual – it would almost certainly contain the information you require.

WMasterJedi

Yes – don’t risk corrupting it again. I think the best thing to do would be to try and get an old manual – it would almost certainly contain the information you require.
Just noticed that when turned on, the new one shows V1.1 but my other one showed V1.2.

I highly doubt this will cause any issues but It's a thing to note.

365 Networker

And if anything its cooler to have an older unit.
Yes - must also be a different version of the software. I seem to remember that the PIS system was programmable with a laptop, using a CDROM based programme. There was a rumour that Hornsey had lost this, but I don't think this was true as during 2016/17 the original WAGN "Welcome Aboard" announcements were reinstated as a stop-gap until the new system was installed around 2018.

WMasterJedi

Yes - must also be a different version of the software. I seem to remember that the PIS system was programmable with a laptop, using a CDROM based programme. There was a rumour that Hornsey had lost this, but I don't think this was true as during 2016/17 the original WAGN "Welcome Aboard" announcements were reinstated as a stop-gap until the new system was installed around 2018.
These don’t hold the announcements, they don’t even hold the destination matrix data they just hold a destination list that has the code for each one and that then gets sent to the dot matrix screens and they figure it out from there.

The announcements are held on a separate unit.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I remember there used to be a 'special code' that you could tap in to get a sub/maintenance type menu. If you had the manual, you could try that or maybe ask the person you got it off if they know it.

RacsoMoquette

I always found the internal displays on the Networkers to be singerly good quality, clear characters unlike the Alstom PIS displays. Am I right in thinking that the Class 365s showed a station name for a few seconds statically after the "The Next Station message had scrolled? and same after the "This Train Is For" message scrolled. I think these semi static displays were quite widespread until the early noughties with the 1995 and 1996TS having similar displays aswell as the refurbished 1973TS which had a slightly different setup which was somewhat akin to this: This train is for: COCKFOSTORS and the capitalised destination would be static for a few seconds.

WMasterJedi

I always found the internal displays on the Networkers to be singerly good quality, clear characters unlike the Alstom PIS displays. Am I right in thinking that the Class 365s showed a station name for a few seconds statically after the "The Next Station message had scrolled? and same after the "This Train Is For" message scrolled. I think these semi static displays were quite widespread until the early noughties with the 1995 and 1996TS having similar displays aswell as the refurbished 1973TS which had a slightly different setup which was somewhat akin to this: This train is for: COCKFOSTORS and the capitalised destination would be static for a few seconds.
Speaking of those tube trains, the font used on the dot matrix and the dot matrix 16x16 segments are same as the ones used on 365 internal displays.

I’m guessing this is due to them being made by the same company as the 365 PIS controller/internal screens do have KeTech stickers placed on them and KeTech also made the PIS system for those tube trains.

WMasterJedi

I remember there used to be a 'special code' that you could tap in to get a sub/maintenance type menu. If you had the manual, you could try that or maybe ask the person you got it off if they know it.
I’d love to find out that code and find a manual, unfortunately the likelihood of that is slim.

WMasterJedi

Are the Networker PIS housings and segments identical to that of a 1995 or 1996TS? they do as you said look alike?
The housing is not the same, however the dot matrix is made up of multiple 16x16 dot matrix segments made by sharp, the networker, 95 and 96 PIS all use the same 16x16 segments from sharp. Networkers used 12 in a row and 95 and 96 use 9 in a row.

WMasterJedi

However the Class 465s initially had red characters in their internal displays, so did they have a different system supplier?
No, I actually had a look at the model number for the segments when I had a look inside my PIS displays and sharp make red and orange versions.

As original 96 stocks carriages also use red.

WMasterJedi

Is this why the 1996TS has red characters while the 1995TS has orange?
Yes they are the exact same model of 16x16 dot matrix segments but they can be bought in different colours, which are red and orange.

1996 stock carriages built in 2005 were made with orange too.