• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Closest London airport to Southampton

lewisdicks

So this is going to impact myself for work. There are very limited Easyjet flights, I hope they can take the route on more so than the 1 flight a day at present.
My options right now are flying to Edinburgh and getting a bus back to Glasgow.
But I was wondering if it might be more time efficient to get to either Heathrow or Gatwick from Southampton Central, what would be the best routing for either airports?
I know that I can change at Clapham Junction for the Gatwick services, and there's a bus from Woking to Heathrow but what is the easiest route in terms of flexibility and reliability of services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
There's currently still the direct Southern train service from Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport (SuX) via Horsham, one per hour, journey time approx two hours. Not sure if this is continuing for much longer though.

jfollows

Established Member
There's currently still the direct Southern train service from Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport (SuX) via Horsham, one per hour, journey time approx two hours. Not sure if this is continuing for much longer though.
In June it’s being diverted to Portsmouth with a more frequent Brighton-Southampton service in its place, this month’s Modern Railways has a write-up, also see https://timetables.fabdigital.uk/nrt/jun2024/178 London, Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Horsham, Brighton and Worthing to Bognor Regis, Portsmouth and Southampton.pdf

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In June it’s being diverted to Portsmouth with a more frequent Brighton-Southampton service in its place, this month’s Modern Railways has a write-up, also see https://timetables.fabdigital.uk/nrt/jun2024/178 London, Croydon, Gatwick Airport, Horsham, Brighton and Worthing to Bognor Regis, Portsmouth and Southampton.pdf
The forum also has a fairly long running thread all about the SN Coastway changes, explains the rationale:

jfollows

Established Member
The forum also has a fairly long running thread all about the SN Coastway changes, explains the rationale:
Good pointer, thanks, from memory this will also address one of lewisdicks questions - the current London-Southampton via Gatwick service is very unreliable anyway, and often gets turned back at places like Fareham which isn't very good for those wanting to use it from Southampton.

lachlan

At this point, depending on where the OP is going in Glasgow there can't be much time difference with taking the train all the way

Howardh

Established Member
I've flown Manchester to Southampton in the past, but there appears to be no such flights these days, which for me would be perfect if a fast direct rain to Brighton was available. Indeed, it would open up Bournemouth and places further west, to avoid the horrible x-country service. I intend to go to Newquay in early Autumn simply because there's an airport there and Easyjet do Man/Newquay.

So it's really disappointing to see flights being cut from regional airports.

mangyiscute

Established Member
So it's really disappointing to see flights being cut from regional airports.
As someone who is completely against regional flights since planes are the worst carbon emitters out of every mode of transport and flying such short distances should be completely banned IMO, I have to disagree.

sh24

As someone who is completely against regional flights since planes are the worst carbon emitters out of every mode of transport and flying such short distances should be completely banned IMO, I have to disagree.

For London-Manchester or Newcastle I would 100% agree. The train alternative is more than adequate.

SOU-GLA however...it's a very long way. 7 hours on average with between 1 and 3 changes. That's not viable for anyone travelling for business or work.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
So this is going to impact myself for work. There are very limited Easyjet flights, I hope they can take the route on more so than the 1 flight a day at present.
But I was wondering if it might be more time efficient to get to either Heathrow or Gatwick from Southampton Central, what would be the best routing for either airports?
I know that I can change at Clapham Junction for the Gatwick services, and there's a bus from Woking to Heathrow but what is the easiest route in terms of flexibility and reliability of services?
For Heathrow, I'd consider the Southampton to Woking then RailAir (change at Basingstoke) the best route, depending on the connection at Basingstoke you could also maybe consider XC Southampton to Reading and Rail Air to Heathrow that way (probably more expensive, but less changes).

I can't say much on Gatwick as I've never been so I'll leave it to others.

Ant1966

For Heathrow, I'd consider the Southampton to Woking then RailAir (change at Basingstoke) the best route, depending on the connection at Basingstoke you could also maybe consider XC Southampton to Reading and Rail Air to Heathrow that way (probably more expensive, but less changes).

I can't say much on Gatwick as I've never been so I'll leave it to others.
The last time I used RailAir via Woking, the bus there (Woking>Heathrow) was fine. The bus back, however, just didnt turn up at LHR. They were only hourly (I think) but we waited almost 2 hours, nothing. Nothing online, no phone number to ring, and the drivers of the (4) Reading buses that turned up in between knew nothing ("Its a different company, sorry"). In the end bailed and got a local bus. But if that had been TO LHR then Id have been screwed. So be very careful relying on that, based on my (admittedlly one) experience.

SeanG

Established Member
Why not fly Southampton to Edinburgh then the half hourly bus/coach between Edinburgh Airport and Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station?
Surely the size of Southampton Airport would mean it would be much quicker than Gatwick (ie turn up 45 mins before your flight rather than 2hrs)

AlastairFraser

Established Member
The last time I used RailAir via Woking, the bus there (Woking>Heathrow) was fine. The bus back, however, just didnt turn up at LHR. They were only hourly (I think) but we waited almost 2 hours, nothing. Nothing online, no phone number to ring, and the drivers of the (4) Reading buses that turned up in between knew nothing ("Its a different company, sorry"). In the end bailed and got a local bus. But if that had been TO LHR then Id have been screwed. So be very careful relying on that, based on my (admittedlly one) experience.
That's a useful perspective to have - via Reading sounds like the best option then?
Why not fly Southampton to Edinburgh then the half hourly bus/coach between Edinburgh Airport and Glasgow Buchanan Bus Station?
Surely the size of Southampton Airport would mean it would be much quicker than Gatwick (ie turn up 45 mins before your flight rather than 2hrs)

Sounds like they're heading somewhere on the west side of Glasgow, so Buchanan bus station is less useful (but still an option of course).

DelW

Established Member

If the So'ton to Edinburgh flight times suit, that would be my choice too.

But there's no need to arrive 2 hours ahead for a domestic flight at Gatwick. I flew from LHR or LGW to EDI or GLA for work most weeks for several years, and aimed to get to the airport around an hour before departure time*. I never missed a flight, and the only close call was at GLA when there was a problem with the security scans.

*And that was driving into the car park, not reaching the terminal.

paul1609

Established Member
It really depends on whereabouts you are starting and finishing your journey and if you can drive. Flight and one way hire car is likely to be competitive cost wise with flexible rail travel and /or how much your time is worth to you or your employer. Faffing around on public transport from london airports is unlikely to be a good solution in my experience. My "firm" always used to provide a taxi from home (Pompey) to Gatwick then a hire car at the most appropriate central belt airport.

gingerheid

Established Member
If they were being cut because there was a reasonable rail alternative then a worthwhile aspiration would be being achieved.

However we are where we are, and where we are is that it's quicker to get the train from Southampton to Paris or Brussels than to Glasgow.

Edit: Are there really no direct trains at all any more?! I was thinking to myself that the OP might have been more persuadable about rail if there was still a sleeper, but it's got more worse than I realised it had?

Last edited:

lewisdicks

That's a useful perspective to have - via Reading sounds like the best option then?

Sounds like they're heading somewhere on the west side of Glasgow, so Buchanan bus station is less useful (but still an option of course).

Yeah I live in the west end of the city so it's only around 7 miles to the airport via taxi. The bus from Edinburgh Airport is an option, but they're looking to cut the amount of flights to Edinburgh from 4 to 3 as well over time. Depending on work event timings it may be quicker to get a flight via London or a train from London to Glasgow than wait for the 1955 flight and then wait for the bus to Glasgow.
If they were being cut because there was a reasonable rail alternative then a worthwhile aspiration would be being achieved.

However we are where we are, and where we are is that it's quicker to get the train from Southampton to Paris or Brussels than to Glasgow.

Edit: Are there really no direct trains at all any more?! I was thinking to myself that the OP might have been more persuadable about rail if there was still a sleeper, but it's got more worse than I realised it had?

I'd have liked to have seen Cross Country try this out but that amount of time on a 220 Voyager would be painful.

lewisdicks

Maybe if I throw my travel plans out there. The earliest I can get a train out of Southampton Central to head back to Glasgow is 1430 on Thursday 13th June. Loganair put me on the 1955 to Edinburgh but would mean I'd be home by 2245 via the bus service from the Airport. I'm contempating a flight from Gatwick at either 6 or 7pm if I get a clean connection at Clapham Junction. Or would it be better to just go back via the West Coast Main Line?

mangyiscute

Established Member

To be clear I'd slowly cut regional flights by the way of hefty taxes on them and meanwhile develop nationwide high speed rail so that in 10-20 years time we would have adequate rail links to eliminate all but the furthest reaching domestic flights (something like Stornoway obviously would keep its flights).

Veteran Member
1500 SOU - 1649 GTW via CLJ on your date, should be OK for the 1800 but not much margin for error.

The same train would comfortably get you on the 1730 off Euston, GLC 2208;
the 1430 would (unofficially) get you on the 1630.

DelW

Established Member
Maybe if I throw my travel plans out there. The earliest I can get a train out of Southampton Central to head back to Glasgow is 1430 on Thursday 13th June. Loganair put me on the 1955 to Edinburgh but would mean I'd be home by 2245 via the bus service from the Airport. I'm contempating a flight from Gatwick at either 6 or 7pm if I get a clean connection at Clapham Junction. Or would it be better to just go back via the West Coast Main Line?
It sounds counter-intuitive, but it might be worth checking out London City. The check-in is quick and the transfer from Waterloo via the Jubilee and DLR is quite quick and more importantly, is frequent and reliable. The Woking to LHR buses are at the mercy of M25 traffic as well as not very frequent.

paul1609

Established Member
To be clear I'd slowly cut regional flights by the way of hefty taxes on them and meanwhile develop nationwide high speed rail so that in 10-20 years time we would have adequate rail links to eliminate all but the furthest reaching domestic flights (something like Stornoway obviously would keep its flights).
Sounds good in theory but the practicality of it is that currently even for a point to point journey of Southampton Central to Glasgow Central the current rail journey averages out as 7 hours. For a business traveller that in effect means that a trip from Hampshire to the Central Belt (or vv) is in effect one day travelling north, one day with the client and day three travelling back south. The air alternative means that the same trip can be completed often in one (very long) day or at least as a two day trip. Knocking 40 mins off the main leg HS2 etc. won't change that dynamic. The reality is that these sort of trips largely don't go city centre to city centre either so the rail option is often significantly worse.

Bill57p9

Correct: XC’s Glasgow offering is one train per day and that is to/from Plymouth.

There are a small number of AWC services from Glasgow to Birmingham, allow Southampton in 1 change but it takes nearly 8 hours.

I fly the same route fairly often for work and will miss the Loganair flights. I would prefer to travel By train but it takes a whole day rather than half a day. The EasyJet flight times vary each day and don’t align fantastically well with a typical work pattern.

Flying via Heathrow doesn’t appeal much (in any circumstance), whilst Gatwick is a pain to drive to/from Southampton and is losing the direct trains.

I did a Quick Look up and the Edinburgh prices were eye watering - but maybe just the dates I checked.

I suspect I will end up either crafting my work pattern around the EasyJet flight times Or using the sleeper.

calum38

You can catch a direct train from Southampton Central to Gatwick Airport every hour, but it might not last long.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Yeah I live in the west end of the city so it's only around 7 miles to the airport via taxi. The bus from Edinburgh Airport is an option, but they're looking to cut the amount of flights to Edinburgh from 4 to 3 as well over time. Depending on work event timings it may be quicker to get a flight via London or a train from London to Glasgow than wait for the 1955 flight and then wait for the bus to Glasgow.
How about a train to Christchurch from Soton Central, taxi to Bournemouth Airport, then Ryanair flight to Edinburgh at 18.15 (scheduled to get in at 19.40 but likely earlier). Then bus home to Glasgow. You'd probably get quicker in than a flight from Gatwick at 7pm.

lewisdicks

How about a train to Christchurch from Soton Central, taxi to Bournemouth Airport, then Ryanair flight to Edinburgh at 18.15 (scheduled to get in at 19.40 but likely earlier). Then bus home to Glasgow. You'd probably get quicker in than a flight from Gatwick at 7pm.

Forgot this was an option, thanks! I might do this potentially, especially looking at how much cheaper the Ryanair flight is my company will be thanking me.

DelW

Established Member
Sounds good in theory but the practicality of it is that currently even for a point to point journey of Southampton Central to Glasgow Central the current rail journey averages out as 7 hours. For a business traveller that in effect means that a trip from Hampshire to the Central Belt (or vv) is in effect one day travelling north, one day with the client and day three travelling back south. The air alternative means that the same trip can be completed often in one (very long) day or at least as a two day trip. Knocking 40 mins off the main leg HS2 etc. won't change that dynamic. The reality is that these sort of trips largely don't go city centre to city centre either so the rail option is often significantly worse.
Indeed, when I was working part-weeks in Scotland from home in Surrey, I could leave home by car around 05:15, catch a flight departing LHR or LGW around 07:00, land at GLA, EDI or Aberdeen at about 08:15, pick up a hire car and be on site by 09:00 to 09:30. By train I'd have left home around the same time for the first train to London at 05:40 but not arrived in central Scotland until after noon.

Similarly going home I could work until 17:30 or 18:00, catch a flight at around 19:45 and be home by around 22:00. By train I'd have had to leave work a bit earlier and still not get home until around midnight.

No contest really for trips like that. If my workload was high I could (and did) do a full day's work in Scotland as a day trip, with the rest of the week in the London office.

Snow1964

Established Member
I see the problem, got about 420 miles to do.

If doing it by rail, would miss the 14:15 (change Birmingham New Street) which gets you there 21:12 (virtually 7 hours), and you only save few minutes using rail via London.

So by rail, only about mile a minute (60mph)

If looking at flights, then another possibility is the 18:15 Bournemouth-Edinburgh on Ryanair.