• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Disruption between Cardiff and Carmarthen 1st April 2024

Western 52

Looks like all trains are on stop west of Cardiff as far as Carmarthen today. NR site says there's a power failure, with disruption to the end of the day. Anyone know what the issue is?

Description

A failure of the electricity supply between Cardiff Central and Maesteg / Carmarthen means all lines are blocked.

As a result, trains may be cancelled or revised.

We anticipate major disruption will continue until the end of the day

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mittyb2

Been caught up in this earlier, still nothing going west of Cardiff, don’t think there was any road replacement either, was trying to get back to Bridgend. Dont get what can cause such a catastrophic failure? There’s no OHLE out that way, and if it was a signalling issue I would have thought they’d just say so? Strange one.

Western 52

They are saying the failure is at Bridgend, but certainly worrying if an issue there can knock out such a wide area. I thought there were backup power supplies for the signalling?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Power failure at Bridgend apparently.

Issues expected to last until at least 1pm, and there is said to be "extremely limited" road transport available.

More here...

Extract...
The train companies have therefore urged customers to travel on Monday afternoon or on Tuesday, April 2, instead, with tickets purchased for Monday still valid for the next day. TfW said in a statement: "Rail passengers are advised not to attempt to travel this morning (01/04) because of severe disruption on the South Wales Mainline."

trainophile

Established Member
A lot of Twitterers were thinking this was an April Fool. Unfortunate day for it to happen, but it would be in rather bad taste if it was.

aar0

A lot of Twitterers were thinking this was an April Fool. Unfortunate day for it to happen, but it would be in rather bad taste if it was.
I briefly thought it was from Facebook… nothing has come in or out of Swansea since 0200! Since there’s a signal box at Port Talbot I would have imagined some service west of there could be run?

MP393

Bit of a mess really with services at the north end of the marches also disrupted thanks to cable theft around Shrewsbury Sutton Bridge with trains being talked through signals

Reports are that it’s a power issue around Port Talbot with generators being used to power the panel

TfW have issued a 'Do Not Travel' warning across the network due to multiple issues today - looks like there's very limited road replacement transport available...

anthony263

Established Member
TfW have issued a 'Do Not Travel' warning across the network due to multiple issues today - looks like there's very limited road replacement transport available...
Problem is trying to get drivers to come in. Gwent vales boss been out driving one of his 17 seater minibuses on rail replacement this morning. I've been working this weekend so no way they getting me to come in today sorry

Western 52

1L20 1223 to Paddington looks to have left Swansea on Traksy, so presumably the power issue is resolved?

tram21

There's no information about service resumption on the national rail website, but it does appear they have started running?

I got NX to Swansea from Cardiff to be safe, hoping for a train to Carmarthen!

trainophile

Established Member
Collected some tickets at Hereford station this morning, and the PA announcement about cancelled trains was saying it's due to cable theft.

Also the 13:18 GWR Hereford to Paddington was cancelled, reason unknown. Going to be a messy (rest of the) day on the trains. There will be lots of people trying to get home after the Easter break too.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Collected some tickets at Hereford station this morning, and the PA announcement about cancelled trains was saying it's due to cable theft.
The cable theft could refer to Shrewsbury where what has been described as “malicious cable damage” has occurred at Sutton Bridge Junction.

LlanishenBull

Also the 13:18 GWR Hereford to Paddington was cancelled, reason unknown. Going to be a messy (rest of the) day on the trains. There will be lots of people trying to get home after the Easter break too.
GWR have no interest in a service to Hereford, doing their best to run it down. Cancellations are the norm sadly.

RJ

Established Member
Problem is trying to get drivers to come in. Gwent vales boss been out driving one of his 17 seater minibuses on rail replacement this morning. I've been working this weekend so no way they getting me to come in today sorry

Pretty much all of the local operators were already out on the Cardiff Central to Radyr/Caerphilly/Penarth pre-planned closures.