• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dogs allowed on West Midlands Metro for 3-month trial period

AY1975

Established Member
Following on from the now locked thread on Manchester Metrolink allowing dogs on trams at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/dogs-to-be-permanently-allowed-on-metrolink.243509/ I see from the West Midlands Metro website at https://westmidlandsmetro.com/ that WMM is allowing dogs on board for the first time. As on Metrolink, this is initially for a 3-month trial period from 15th August until 15th November, with passengers being asked to give their feedback via an online form to help them decide whether to allow dogs on a permanent basis.

I think this now leaves Nottingham and Sheffield as the only UK tramways that don't allow dogs, although in both cases they do allow small dogs or other pets in pet carriers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Established Member
Strange how dogs are allowed on national rail trains, yet banned on most tram systems.

London Trains

In your opinion.
I didn't want to add that (this is only my fourth post) - But I agree
Personally I think it's utterly ridiculous that something an awful lot of people are afraid of, many people are allergic to, and that can often be violent are allowed on public transport.

Public transport should be accessible to all, and part of that is banning things that can be harmful or off putting to many people (like smoking/vaping), so allowing things that can cause issues with many people is going in the wrong direction for accessibility (even if some people are happy about it - in the same way, there are a minority that would like to be able to smoke on trains, but they aren't suddenly deciding to allow it).

Last edited:

Dave W

Personally I think it's utterly ridiculous that something an awful lot of people are afraid of, many people are allergic to, and that can often be violent are allowed on public transport.

Public transport should be accessible to all, and part of that is banning things that can be harmful or off putting to many people (like smoking/vaping), so allowing things that can cause issues with many people is going in the wrong direction for accessibility (even if some people are happy about it - in the same way, there are a minority that would like to be able to smoke on trains, but they aren't suddenly deciding to allow it).

Silly hyperbole.

London Trains

And thus should be accessible to those with pets.
It should be accessible to all humans, not to things that a high proportion of the population don't want to be near.

Anyway, they are completely accessible to those with pets (the owners), and I hope accessibility continues to improve, but pets themselves should not be allowed. There's no reason to take animals on public transport, and if it is really such a big deal to some people then put them in a locked box away from passengers similar to how they travel in cages in the luggage hold on planes.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It should be accessible to all humans, not to things that a high proportion of the population don't want to be near.

Anyway, they are completely accessible to those with pets (the owners), and I hope accessibility continues to improve, but pets themselves should not be allowed. There's no reason to take animals on public transport, and if it is really such a big deal to some people then put them in a locked box away from passengers similar to how they travel in cages in the luggage hold on planes.
A high proportion of the the population? We are literally a nation of pet lovers, so I've no idea where that concept comes from.

Once again we have a thread turning into a "ban things we don't like". Crikey if these forums got their ways with banning things, the trains would be used by about 6 people annually! So long as the dogs (and their owners) behave and don't sit on the seats I can't see where the problem is. If you have an allergy, don't go near them or if possible take medication to ease the symptoms. I suffered from hay fever for many years, but I can't recall ever asking for flowers to be banned. And even now I do still get some reaction to cats, but I love the furry little sods so I am more than happy when one comes up to me for a head bump.

London Trains

Once again we have a thread turning into a "ban things we don't like". Crikey if these forums got their ways with banning things, the trains would be used by about 6 people annually! So long as the dogs (and their owners) behave and don't sit on the seats I can't see where the problem is. If you have an allergy, don't go near them or if possible take medication to ease the symptoms. I suffered from hay fever for many years, but I can't recall ever asking for flowers to be banned. And even now I do still get some reaction to cats, but I love the furry little sods so I am more than happy when one comes up to me for a head bump.
You've basically stated all of the problems with dogs on trains right there - not once have I seen a dog on a train that was not either sitting on a seat or a table, or blocking the aisle by sitting/sleeping in the aisle or walking/running up and down the carriage.

"Don't go near them," so what if a dog owner gets on the train after you do and sits next to/behind/in front of you, or a dog keeps walking up to you, are you supposed to get up and move? What if the train is overcrowded and there's nowhere else to sit or if its too busy to walk down the carriage?

They should either be put in locked cages (like they are on planes) or should be banned completely, it is as simple as that.

CBlue

You've basically stated all of the problems with dogs on trains right there - not once have I seen a dog on a train that was not either sitting on a seat or a table, or blocking the aisle by sitting/sleeping in the aisle or walking/running up and down the carriage.

"Don't go near them," so what if a dog owner gets on the train after you do and sits next to/behind/in front of you, or a dog keeps walking up to you, are you supposed to get up and move? What if the train is overcrowded and there's nowhere else to sit or if its too busy to walk down the carriage?

They should either be put in locked cages (like they are on planes) or should be banned completely, it is as simple as that.

Not once have I seen a dog on a train that was sat on a seat or on a table - or running around. Responsible pet owners should keep them on a lead anyway on public transport.

You also ignore the query about your statement "high proportion of the population", can you quantify this or back it up with any evidence beyond hyperbole and say-so?

A high proportion of the the population? We are literally a nation of pet lovers, so I've no idea where that concept comes from.

Maybe we should ban children, too. I find they are less well-behaved and noisier than people's pets are :D

1st Ade

Maybe we should ban children, too. I find they are less well-behaved and noisier than people's pets are :D
... especially on evening commuter trains where Mum, Dad and three children board a few minutes before departure (thinking particularly some of the LMR Euston to Birmingham via Leighton Buzzard, MKC, Northampton, Rugby, Birmingham International etc). They look for a group of five seats together - Dad says pointedly, "I can't understand why it's so busy?" (try - "some of us work here. Most days?") - the youngest child will then start bawling as the family are in two groups, and she wants to sit with Mum, not Dad - Mum and Dad (with bad grace) swap places at which point the eldest child pipes up that they want to sit with Dad, not Mum.

:D

CBlue

... especially on evening commuter trains where Mum, Dad and three children board a few minutes before departure (thinking particularly some of the LMR Euston to Birmingham via Leighton Buzzard, MKC, Northampton, Rugby, Birmingham International etc). They look for a group of five seats together - Dad says pointedly, "I can't understand why it's so busy?" (try - "some of us work here. Most days?") - the youngest child will then start bawling as the family are in two groups, and she wants to sit with Mum, not Dad - Mum and Dad (with bad grace) swap places at which point the eldest child pipes up that they want to sit with Dad, not Mum.

:D

Any thoughts on this, @London Trains ?

ModernRailways

Established Member
I also agree with this idea.

I travel often with my dog, by train, he never causes any issues and he just goes to sleep on my lap, we never sit at a table, and he's never sat directly on a seat - he has on a few very empty trains slept on a seat, but I put my coat across the seat covering it entirely. He is always leashed, and I tend to carry him, but when he is walking along he is by my side, and is hyper focused on walking, he doesn't stop to sniff, or get distracted he will just walk.
I also try and get first class, so I can have a solo seat with nobody sat next to us, and he can just sleep on my lap. A lot of train crew will say hello to him, tell him he's being a good boy, and a few have sat and given him a little treat.

So;
You want to ban dogs because 'an awful lot of people are afraid of' them but we're a nation of pet lovers, the vast majority of people own a pet of some kind.
You want to ban them due to peoples allergies, but these same people are travelling through a public space with a very high chance of encountering some kind of animal or an assistance animal (typically a dog, but can be other animals), and so the chances are if they're going to have a reaction then they'll already be taking medication and taking precautions.
You want to ban them because they're often violent. Does this mean we're going to be banning passengers on a Saturday evening where a not insignificant portion of passengers could easily be perceived as violent or on a razors edge to flipping and becoming violent?

Let's be real, anyone with a dog that hasn't been trained properly, isn't cared for properly, and is possibly violent/unpredictable would still be travelling by train because it's not like the owner will give a f*** and most staff will want to avoid the conflict with said individual, BTP aren't going to be in a rush to attend.

Dave W

How edgy. Utter tripe. The sort I'd feed my dog. On a train. In front of you.

I hope the Metro trial is successful and every single dog with a WV, DY or B postcode uses it just to spite this nonsense.

jh64

After reading all this nonsense, I'm quite happy to suggest LT should only be allowed to ride on trains when securely stowed in a locked cage with suitcases stacked on top.

507 001

Established Member

You sound fun.

Back in the real world, Dogs on Metrolink has been a complete success. Since the beginning of the initial trial period there has been only one incident that would have been prevented by the original ban.

I also regularly get to say hello to a cute doggo, so I am happier in my work (I’d rather have the dogs than our human passengers).

Not bad I’d say.

birchesgreen

Established Member
How unlucky you are, i can't remember the last time i saw any of those things.

Mothball

You should take a look at pet ownership statistics....
There's no reason to take animals on public transport, and if it is really such a big deal to some people then put them in a locked box away from passengers similar to how they travel in cages in the luggage hold on planes.
My Gran used to reguarly take her Labrador on the bus to get to the vets around 4 miles away, as she has never drove. Do you think having a 80 year old woman attempting to lug a shipping crate around is a better option than taking walking an elderly dog onto a bus? I'm sure she isn't alone in that Metrolink offered travel to the PDSA for pets for many years as long as customer services was contacted first.

You are either very much in the minority or heavily overexaggerating for dramatic effect.

In a decade working on the buses where dogs are allowed I can only think of a single time I had to replace a seat due to dog fur and since Metrolink started permitting dogs I can again think of a single example of dog mess on a tram, meanwhile I can think of a number of examples of human mess in the past couple of weeks so cleanliness isn't an issue.

As for people's fear (As someone who's partner spent most of her life terrified of dogs to the stage she wouldn't go near the local park or be in the same room as my dogs for many years) it's something those people naturally have to deal with. I know a couple of people scared of moths, do we call for them to be wiped out? It's part of the real world.

507 001

Established Member
I’ve had far more people peeing, pooing and vomiting on my tram than I have Dogs.

jumble

Absolute Nonsense
Many Forum members ( I would think at least 25 ) have travelled with me on trains over the years
Not once have any of them seen me doing any of the things that you claim to see on every trip
( any forum member who knows me please confirm if you wish)
In fact on the London Underground ( run by TFL who don't make absurd rules) I will on most trips out be petted by at least 3 people on every trip and so give a lot of pleasure to people
I have never seen a dog off a lead on a train and have never seen a dog on a table so I think you are fantasying

Regards Summer the Cocker Spaniel

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Dogs are often better behaved than people on trains. I don't recall ever seeing a dog behaving badly on a train. I've seen one on a seat where they shouldn't really be in case someone is allergic (otherwise I'd not mind, to be honest) but if a guard sees that they can simply ask that they go back on the floor.