• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fantasy Open-Access

Should ordinary people have more power over how train companies operate? (eg. routes)

• None

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Very Limited

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Some

• Lots

• All

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivo

Established Member
This is more of a game than anything, unless you want to take it further as has been done on Page 4! I can see this appealing to such characters as MattE2010, tbtc, The Walrus, Greenback and others, besides myself of course.

Suppose you received a sudden windfall of £250m (I don't know where from, winning Euromillions every week for several consecutive months maybe). With this money, you decide to enter the rail market on an Open Access basis. You have to determine the route you wish to follow, and also all stations along the route that you would intend to serve, whilst also considering the likely concerns and competition from existing TOCs/FOCs (whether or not this is possible I don't know, but for the purposes of this thread you can choose to haul freight instead). You also have to consider access charges, fuel costs (you could use this recent thread as a guideline perhaps) and leasing costs of your preferred stock, as well as of course whether such stock is available for your planned route, in order to be able to determine whether the service was both appropriate and viable.

An unrealistic example of such a route, which has not been verified for costs or paths...

BRIGHTON to BOURNEMOUTH, including services to EASTLEIGH and FAWLEY

This service runs every two hours on Saturdays only, departing Brighton at 09:50, 11:50, 13:50, 15:50 and 17:50 and Bournemouth at 09:35, 11:35, 13:35, 15:35 and 17:35. It serves Brighton, Hove, Shoreham-by-Sea, Worthing, Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Fareham, Southampton Central, Brockenhurst and Bournemouth, and uses Class 460 stock. A connection is available at Southampton Central to a local service, run with Class 158 stock, serving Fawley, Hythe, Marchwood, Totton, Southampton Central, Southampton Airport Parkway and Eastleigh.

As you can probably tell, there are all sorts of problems with this one. First of all, it only runs on one day a week! The stock is idle for six days out of seven, which means that leasing it is a waste! Also, the extra service runs on a line which is currently not available for passenger use, and the two combined cause extra congestion through an already jammed Southampton tunnel. Also, using 460s is a waste because of their unnecessary bulk and also impending break-ups, which cast doubt over their worth for a route such as this. Further, I don't believe that Southern or South West Trains would be best pleased, although CrossCountry and First Great Western will most likely be uninterested for the most part. There would also be problems in Portsmouth, where people would suggest that Southampton is getting unfair priority in that it has the proper service whereas Portsmouth travellers have to change at Fareham. The list goes on, and I haven't even come to paths or costs yet.

Anyway, enough of that, what would you all think? Are there any out routes out there (I will post one eventually, assuming the thread is popular enough) that anyone would honestly dare to try if they had the money to do so?

P.S.: The poll is from a thread that has been merged into this later on. It is not mine.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I want a daily train from Carmarthen to Inverness, calling at all stations to Swansea, then non stop to Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Crewe, Edinburgh (reverse), Perth and all stations to Inverness!

Primarily, this would serve the huge and untapped golfing market between Gowerton, where there are a couple of golf clubs, and Gleneagles, where I believe there is another golf club. (I think there's also a golf club somewhere near Newport, but that place is already well served, unlike Gowerton, so I would miss it out!)

The train would also directly link the capital of Wales with the capital of Scotland, and could be called 'The Devolved Express'.

I would also like to ensure that Llanelli is fully staffed between 0500 and 0100, which will keep the station clear of drug addicts, and Gowerton from 0600 to 2000. (The through service to Scotland will ensure that there is a sudden and impressive increase in footfall at Gowerton).

Ivo

Established Member
Um... that's probably a bit too farfetched. Would you really be prepared to pay for that? Its valuable links between Cardiff and Edinburgh aside the market would not be very big for this, especially given its gap between Crewe and Edinburgh. Where would it fit in? And what stock would it use? It also seems a bit odd to serve Gowerton but not Bridgend...

Do love the optimism though :D

I think there's also a golf club somewhere near Newport

You refer to Celtic Manor, site of last year's Ryder Cup, do you not?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Um... that's probably a bit too farfetched. Would you really be prepared to pay for that? Its valuable links between Cardiff and Edinburgh aside the market would not be very big for this, especially given its gap between Crewe and Edinburgh. Where would it fit in? And what stock would it use? It also seems a bit odd to serve Gowerton but not Bridgend...

Do love the optimism though :D

You refer to Celtic Manor, site of last year's Ryder Cup, do you not?

I am referring to Celtic Manor! My post was intentionally a bit tongue in cheek, I picked up the ball and just ran with it!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ivo, you know me too well :D

To be honest, I would use my winnings to do the following:
  • Restaff all stations from say 0600 (or first train thereafter) until 1500 which have an annual usage of over 65,000.
  • Clean up our stations: Many still have Regional Railways branding, some down south are still in NSE colours. I would use the money for new signs, each one in the current TOC colours, expelling legacies of BR for good.
  • Restore stations at Newhaven Marine and Norton Bridge, and provide new services for them.
  • Reopen our old station buildings for rail use: Beautiful buildings in Scotland, the West and in rural areas have all been abandoned. Put TOC offices there in small batches, much better than multi-million new builds miles from the areas they deal with.
  • Stop ERMTS for good.
  • New services: I'll do these later.
Matt

SS4

Established Member
Wouldn't mind seeing the Sutton Park line re-open for passenger traffic (although I have no idea where the freight would go) with stations at Park Lane and/or Forge Lane, Walmley, Bishop Walsh (for the school) and a new station in Sutton for access to Birmingham, Walmley and Sutton Coldfield.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I want a daily train from Carmarthen to Inverness, calling at all stations to Swansea, then non stop to Cardiff, Hereford, Shrewsbury, Crewe, Edinburgh (reverse), Perth and all stations to Inverness!

Primarily, this would serve the huge and untapped golfing market between Gowerton, where there are a couple of golf clubs, and Gleneagles, where I believe there is another golf club

Gleneagles is between Stirling and Perth, so you'd be better stopping there. However, a more logical route for your service would be through Fife to stop at Leuchars (for St Andrews) and on to Carnoustie (might need to go to Arbroath to terminate/ reverse there). Of course, if Donald Trump wants to subsidise your service then go beyond Arbroath to Aberdeen, where he is using the construction of a couple of golf courses as an excuse to build hundreds of new houses on the coast...

My Open Access idea? Thanks for asking. Its a little something like this

• Liverpool
  • Liverpool South Parkway
  • Runcorn
  • Crewe
  • Shrewsbury
  • Ludlow
  • Hereford
  • Cwmbran
  • Severn Tunnel Junction
  • Bristol

A direct service from Liverpool to Wales, service from Bristol to the Welsh Marches Line and a direct link between two of the ten biggest places in the United Kingdom

Every couple of hours, daily, 158s would suffice

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That is a far more sensible than mine, but probably with a lot more thought! I started with Llanelli, as I live there, and Inverness, because I like it there, and then hit upon the golf idea as I was typing, and thought it would be a laugh!

I don't even like golf...!

MCR247

Established Member
Ivo, you know me too well :D

To be honest, I would use my winnings to do the following:
  • Restaff all stations from say 0600 (or first train thereafter) until 1500 which have an annual usage of over 65,000.
Matt

You can't make an exception can you?

Rugeley Trent Valley only gets 53,000 :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
More than two in three have at least 65,000 uses!

So to give an example, Aldermaston scrapes through (65,014), but nearby Kintbury (64,418) and Newbury Racecourse (63,956) do not?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Actually, with Rugeley TV, its interchanges are estimated at 35,000, so that would total 88,000. Does that make it qualify? (Bear in mind that no other station would qualify on these grounds; Upwey (44,000 + 12,000) would come closest.)

Last edited:

TomJ93

Bring back Wrex&Shrop, with a stop at International and Coventry.

asylumxl

Established Member
Gatwick Airport to Luton Airport Parkway express trains.

Calling at St Pancras International low-level only.

That's my totally unplanned, spur of the moment proposition.

MCR247

Established Member
TomJ93: So in other words, you would basically be throwing money at something that isn't profitable.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
TomJ93: So in other words, you would basically be throwing money at something that isn't profitable.

Isn't that what open access is unless you can land your self an ORCATS raid at somewhere like York or Doncaster?

MCR247

Established Member
I suppose, but then again WSMR may have worked if they had a faster route, even without West Mids calls

ushawk

Established Member
Id do a Brighton to Liverpool via Birmingham and Manchester.

Call at -

Gatwick Airport, East Croydon, Kensington Olympia, Reading, Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham Intl, Birmingham New St, Wolverhampton, Crewe, Manchester Airport, Manchester Picc, Liverpool Sth Pkwy and Lime Street.

Would be 3 in each direction each day (1 each way on Sunday). Would provide new connections from the South Coast to the Midlands and North-West. Problems would be congestion on the BML and the WCML. Cross Country and Virgin may have some objections too.

Just something i quickly thought of.

tbtc

Veteran Member
That is a far more sensible than mine, but probably with a lot more thought! I started with Llanelli, as I live there, and Inverness, because I like it there, and then hit upon the golf idea as I was typing, and thought it would be a laugh!

I don't even like golf...!

I think yours is an excellent way of tapping in to a growing market for Llanelli based golfers :lol:

What I'd quite like to do would be the following:

• Elgin
  • (via Aberdeen)
  • Montrose
    [*]Arbroath
  • (via Dundee/ Stirling)
  • Larbert
    [*]Cumbernauld
  • (reverse at Springburn?)
  • Queen Street Low Level
    [*]Coatbridge
  • (via Bathgate and Edinburgh)
  • Berwick
  • (via Newcastle and Carlisle)
  • Annan
  • (via Kilmarnock)
  • Stranraer

This would be the Bells Scottish Third Division Express, running most Saturdays from August until April. Passengers for Forfar should change at Arbroath onto the number 27 bus...

Or, more realistically, since Hull is the biggest place in the UK without a direct train to Birmingham, something linking the two would be an idea...

TomJ93

I've often thought people would like a sea side resort direct train, rather than change in London.

The Skips wouldn't really be able to go full speed down the WCML, maybe if a 90 was put on the front at Wolves?

atomicdanny

I would probably say something like either

Dover Priory - Manchester with (or even to Birmingham - with Coventry - Birmingham Int then New Street after Rugby on the below)

Dover Priory - Folkestone Central - Ashford Int - Tonbridge - Bromley South - Kensington Olympia - Milton Keynes or Rugby - Nuneaton - Stafford - Crewe - Manchester Picadilly

(but then again, the cross country route via reading (like the former brighton route! would only be allowed because of the competition rules!)

Then again how about a Virgin 390 Ashford - Manchester, one a day? (Via Hs1 and WCML - I know it won't ever happen but I can always hope can't i?)

Ivo

Established Member
Time for me to do a serious one then, I think. This service would operate every two hours north of Luton, and hourly over the section in bold. Services would be formed of Class 180s for the longer journeys and Class 360s for the shorter journeys. Four Class 180s (possibly five) would probably be necessary, as supplemented by the two Class 360s which would be sub-leased from the current operator of the Greater Anglia franchise. Between Easter and the end of the summer holidays, shorter services will be formed of eight cars instead of four (except on school days), and for the airshow weekend, these services will not call at the "slower" stations en route, which would instead be served by extra services also running eight cars; this would give a half-fourly frequency across the southern section south of Luton. During the "low" season, when only the basic one-every-two-hours 4-car 360 would run the short section, journeys made on any service (either short or long) entirely south of Luton would be subsidised by Stobart [which in practice would subsidise the shorter journeys completely]. In the event of engineering works towards Southend Victoria, rail replacement bus/coach services would run fast between the airport and the college site next to Southend Central, skipping Victoria - even though it is on the route that would be used - to allow faster transfers (in practice a Victoria stop would be both unnecessary and inconvenient) between airport and train.

• Southend Victoria
  • Southend Airport
  • Shenfield
  • Romford (short services only)
  • Stratford
  • West Hampstead (short services only)
  • St Albans (short services only)
  • Luton Airport Parkway
  • Luton
  • Bedford
  • Leicester
  • Derby
  • Sheffield
  • Leeds
  • York

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
More than two in three have at least 65,000 uses!

So to give an example, Aldermaston scrapes through (65,014), but nearby Kintbury (64,418) and Newbury Racecourse (63,956) do not?
Actually, with Rugeley TV, its interchanges are estimated at 35,000, so that would total 88,000. Does that make it qualify? (Bear in mind that no other station would qualify on these grounds; Upwey (44,000 + 12,000) would come closest.)

More than two in three have 65,000+? More than 66% of stations are staffed then.

I'm not sure about interchanges, they probably wouldn't count.

So Aldermaston would be staffed, maybe with places like Newbury racecourse, and other 'special' stations could be staffed during events. It would also ease up the guards job, I cannot think how many fares are missed each year, which this could eliminate.

Aictos

Established Member
What do to with £250m, the choices are endless.....

1.) I would consider before anything is to buy a controlling share in First which not only serves job security but also makes more money available which I can then use to reinvest.

2.) Once I'm pally with Aberdeen is to study the staffing hours of all First operated stations, some stations might not see a improvement while others might see a increase in staffing or hours.

3.) All First operated stations will be cleaned up with standardised First signs which follow the exact same design as the existing FCC ones which mean ought to save money on different designs and follow a basic design

3798970107_0ac884c1fe.jpg

4.) Ensure a high quality information system is available by working with ATOS to get a system that's fit for purpose no matter what the cost.

5.) I would look at kick starting Electrification with funding from both DfT and TOCs ala Chiltern by insisting these certain routes are ready by 2021:

Blackpool to Preston
Liverpool Lime Street to Manchester Airport and Preston
Hull to Doncaster via Selby and Goole
Cleethorpes to Manchester Piccadilly
Doncaster to Peterborough via Lincoln
Newark Northgate to Lincoln
Selby to Manchester Piccadilly
Blackpool South to Skipton via Colne
Accrington to Leeds via Bradford Interchange
Thames Valley
Oxford to Reading
Reading to Plymouth via Westbury, Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway
Bristol Parkway to Cardiff and Wakefield Westgate via Birmingham New Street
Ely to Peterborough, Norwich and Ipswich
Peterborough to Liverpool Lime Street via Sheffield
York to Leeds via Harrogate
Leeds to Sheffield
Bedford to Corby, Grantham via Nottingham and Derby
Birmingham New Street to Peterborough
Reopen March to Spalding and a new Lincoln Avoiding line

So basically a national roll out programme which will mean investment everywhere and at the same time a order for new rolling stock would be placed on condition that the winning bidder must build and maintain the trains here in the UK which isn't a lot to ask for considering how much is at stake.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I've often thought people would like a sea side resort direct train, rather than change in London

Realistically, you could run a LM service on Friday teatime:

• Walsall
  • Birmingham New St
  • Birmingham Int
  • Coventry
  • Rugby
  • Northampton
  • Milton Keynes
  • Harrow
  • Shepherd's Bush
  • Clapham Junction
  • East Croydon
  • Gatwick
  • Brighton

...with a return working on a Sunday afternoon. Two Airports, dozens of connections, perfect for the leisure market.

One EMU could work it, wouldn't need much money spent on it, but a direct link to the south coast might be profitable.

Then, if that works build it up to run every hour or two on Saturday/Sunday (given the leisure potential/ fewer main line trains etc).

Then, if that works, look at diverting some weekday services like this. I'd be reluctant to go straight to a daily service - especially as disruption would build up!

Ivo

Established Member
Or, if it wouldn't work, revise the Southern Watford services (again!) to run in sync with one specific LM service each hour, and have them run fast between East Croydon and Brighton (apart from Gatwick of course). I'm sure someone at Govia would listen to this idea, and over-rule their respective TOCs.
@ ajax103: Is there a reason you missed the Chiltern Main Line? Also, forgive me if I'm being dumb, but does that not leave the MML incomplete?

Aictos

Established Member
Or, if it wouldn't work, revise the Southern Watford services (again!) to run in sync with one specific LM service each hour, and have them run fast between East Croydon and Brighton (apart from Gatwick of course). I'm sure someone at Govia would listen to this idea, and over-rule their respective TOCs.
@ ajax103: Is there a reason you missed the Chiltern Main Line? Also, forgive me if I'm being dumb, but does that not leave the MML incomplete?

As I see it, if Bedford to Loughborough via Corby, Grantham via Nottingham, Leeds via Sheffield were all done then it means the MML is fully electric or least the main routes are and serves as a ready made diversionary route for the ECML.

I kind of forgot about the Chilterns but the existing routes would be electrified with new EMUs.

martinsh

Established Member
Gleneagles is between Stirling and Perth, so you'd be better stopping there. However, a more logical route for your service would be through Fife to stop at Leuchars (for St Andrews) and on to Carnoustie (might need to go to Arbroath to terminate/ reverse there). Of course, if Donald Trump wants to subsidise your service then go beyond Arbroath to Aberdeen, where he is using the construction of a couple of golf courses as an excuse to build hundreds of new houses on the coast...

My Open Access idea? Thanks for asking. Its a little something like this

• Liverpool
  • Liverpool South Parkway
  • Runcorn
  • Crewe
  • Shrewsbury
  • Ludlow
  • Hereford
  • Cwmbran
  • Severn Tunnel Junction
  • Bristol

A direct service from Liverpool to Wales, service from Bristol to the Welsh Marches Line and a direct link between two of the ten biggest places in the United Kingdom

Every couple of hours, daily, 158s would suffice

You b*****d ! That was my idea - I was going to call the operator Trans-Western ...

Ivo

Established Member
Team up then. That's two potential sources of funding for Liverpool to Cardiff via Shrewsbury and the Marches sorted! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.