• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FOC Interview GBRF

Status
Not open for further replies.

lammergeier

once you appraise you’re pension position, which only you can, ask any freight drivers who spent years with a TOC if they would ever go back and it will tell you something. I know I wouldn’t and neither would anybody I know. That should put you at ease to make a decision
And yet I work at a TOC with many ex-freight drivers who say they'd never go back. Horses for courses and all that

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crazyb

once you appraise you’re pension position, which only you can, ask any freight drivers who spent years with a TOC if they would ever go back and it will tell you something. I know I wouldn’t and neither would anybody I know. That should put you at ease to make a decision
Your totally right. Even if they paid me the salary I'm on now, i wouldn't go back.....When I pass some of my old Freightliner Intermodal Drivers, I think he's just coming off nights and he's still got another hour to go.......Spending 5 hours sitting in the DRS at Brent was awful.....Nah!!!!......And our ****ty old mess room at Rugby was no better. I used to freeze to death in there.

Like I've said in previous threads...I get a nice comfy chair, a nice telly, nice start times and finish times, nice new aircon train that doesn't deafen you...The only down side, I work more weekends, well Sundays anyway. Though it's not all rose's at my TOC i would never move from there.

I grew up on the freight and started on the footplate at 16/17, I loved the freight, but times have changed....It can be a lonely job sometimes, but something I would never return to.

BUT.......If I had to return to a FOC, I would go back to Freightliner Intermodal...The pay is not great, but you do get some extra payments for moving off roster etc etc.

I had some great work in my link, and the roster will be like what you would work to now. All timetabled work, so you can plan head.

I think the nearest one to you, if your at a London TOC would be Tilbury, pending where you live. I'm not sure if the Isle of Grain had an Intermodal depot, so that might be worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.