• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow to Gatwick

Class93

Just a bit of fun.

Can anyone find the cheapest or quickest way to fly out of Gatwick and land into Heathrow via a connecting flight?

And without saying via the obvious like Paris or Dublin.

If you want to gripe or moan or say it’s silly then move onto the next thread :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

stadler

Just a bit of fun.

Can anyone find the cheapest or quickest way to fly out of Gatwick and land into Heathrow via a connecting flight?

And without saying via the obvious like Paris or Dublin.

If you want to gripe or moan or say it’s silly then move onto the next thread :D
I do not know the timetables or fares but my guess would be via Jersey probably. Jersey has multiple flights throughout the day to and from both airports. I think Jersey is the closest place to London that has direct flights to and from both airports.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I do not know the timetables or fares but my guess would be via Jersey probably. Jersey has multiple flights throughout the day to and from both airports. I think Jersey is the closest place to London that has direct flights to and from both airports.
The only problem is that you have to allow a fair bit of leeway in case of delays, since you would be flying with a mixture of BA and easyJet on separate bookings.

Jersey is notably affected by weather issues more frequently than most other airports, due to its exposed location right at the edge of the island.

alholmes

I just looked at flights via Amsterdam for next Wednesday, 24 January.

07:45 from Gatwick, 14:10 from Amsterdam, arriving Heathrow 14:25. So a 6h40m journey. Cost £149.

But I guess you could class Amsterdam as one of the more obvious links.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
you can do it 4h via Edinburgh, and no need to worry about border control.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
NX operate 50+ non-stop coach services a day between the two airports, journey time typically 85 minutes and costing £29 single.
Or you can go EL/TL via Farringdon roughly every 15 minutes, journey time typically 110 minutes and costing £33 (down to £13 off peak).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The safest option would probably involve taking the "W"-pattern flight that BA runs between LHR/LGW and GLA. This goes LHR-GLA, overnight, then LGW-GLA-LHR, so you would want to take the . Since it's the same plane and crew, and domestic arrivals decant into domestic departures at GLA, you can't possibly miss the connection.

It's probably too short a turnround to book it on a single ticket though; BA's website seems to apply an artificial minimum connection time of 60 minutes between outbound and return sectors.

D7666

Bring back the direct helicopter link "AirLink". Dud! I did it return trip one time, 1986, not long after it was announced being withdrawn.
NX operate 50+ non-stop coach services a day between the two airports, journey time typically 85 minutes and costing £29 single.
Or you can go EL/TL via Farringdon roughly every 15 minutes, journey time typically 110 minutes and costing £33 (down to £13 off peak).
errrr yes ..... and you could equally answer rail ..... change at Farringdon Thameslink / Elizabeth line possibly the simplest direct interchange .....

..... but neither that or buses answers "fly" which is the point of the question

Last edited: