• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HSTs in Mexico - news and progress updates

HST2FIT

Thank you for this. I'm stuggling to buy tickets on that link though.

Which services are operated by HSTs - all of them? I am tempted to drop by Mexico in January.
Yes, you can come without any worries plenty of seats Will be available almost every day; two classes Economic and Business available. (Two runs per day, 7:00 hrs from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz 14:30 hrs, and from Salina Cruz 14:00 hrs to Coatzacoalcos 20:30 hrs)

First try to use a simple webpage translator the page is pretty straightforward. You can't buy tickets with several day of anticipation.

Second there's no guarantee about if you will have the luck to catch the HST or the American loco and coaches (the ex go-rail and Amtrak).

My best advice will be come right to the station before the 7 hrs and see for yourself if the HST is at the station getting ready, otherwise it'll be the flip of a coin for you the train you will get as both equipment will be in service (the British and the American).

The webpage has local phone numbers the country code is +52 then the 10 digit number. Not sure if they speak English

Coatzacoalcos and Salina Cruz are major cities and Coatzacoalcos has a domestic airport with at least 2 flights per day to and fro Mexico city.

Interesting consist. Are they 3x TGS or 3x TSD in the middle, or a combination?
Here's another view of the set config

I'd say it's a combo I could see 3x TSD at the rear and not sure if the rest are TGS or if there's a TF as well

Typo. 2 TSD

Yes, you can come without any worries plenty of seats Will be available almost every day; two classes Economic and Business available. (Two runs per day, 7:00 hrs from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz 14:30 hrs, and from Salina Cruz 14:00 hrs to Coatzacoalcos 20:30 hrs)

First try to use a simple webpage translator the page is pretty straightforward. You can't buy tickets with several day of anticipation.

Second there's no guarantee about if you will have the luck to catch the HST or the American loco and coaches (the ex go-rail and Amtrak).

My best advice will be come right to the station before the 7 hrs and see for yourself if the HST is at the station getting ready, otherwise it'll be the flip of a coin for you the train you will get as both equipment will be in service (the British and the American).

The webpage has local phone numbers the country code is +52 then the 10 digit number. Not sure if they speak English

Coatzacoalcos and Salina Cruz are major cities and Coatzacoalcos has a domestic airport with at least 2 flights per day to and fro Mexico city.

I'd say it's a combo I could see 3x TSD at the rear and not sure if the rest are TGS or if there's a TF as well

Typo. 2 TSD

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Alfonso

Typo. 2 TSD

You could of course go to somewhere in the middle and then get whichever is the hst. This could be quite an adventure

Alfonso

The rail enthusiasts equivalent of big game hunting! This month Mexico, next month Nigeria.
There are lots of obvious touristy things relatively nearby...cultural stuff in Oaxaca, package holiday type beaches in Huatulco, backpackery beaches around Zipolite etc...but the middle of the isthmus is not a touristy area, and if you're up for an adventure likely to discovery friendly people, tasty food, cheap beer, and likely some relatively unknown attractions with a bit of time and persistence.

On Moderation

Typo. 2 TSD

Have additional vehicles been modified to TSD since being exported, then? As the exports were 1 x TF, 1 x TFD, 5 x TS and 4 x TGS.

eldomtom2

On Moderation
In Mexico the Tren Maya has also begun a limited operation, between San Francisco de Campeche and Cancun.
That's all new rolling stock though.
From what I've read the operation is extremely limited - to get an early opening date they are essentially selling tickets for rides on test trains.

HST2FIT

Have additional vehicles been modified to TSD since being exported, then? As the exports were 1 x TF, 1 x TFD, 5 x TS and 4 x TGS.
I don't think so.

My mistake,
Sorry.

Today is the first day of passenger service of the HST, from Coatzacoalcos to Salina Cruz.

the 2+6 coaches of today possibly as follows

161203 TS?
161202 TS?
161201 TS?
161204 TGS?
161104 TS?
161103 TS?

The numbers above are not the original numbers. They received new ones for the FIT

The isthmian radio station "Hits 97.7 FM" shared this fb live earlier of the journey
(station, passengers and coaches from inside)

Last edited:

HST2FIT

I've just seen a video - are they all slam door stock?
As far as I now, here (in Mexico), they just only received a paint job over the old LNER&GwR livery and not sure if notice/warning/info stickers were translated into Spanish in England.
I don't know if they still were stock when they left service

That's all new rolling stock though.
From what I've read the operation is extremely limited - to get an early opening date they are essentially selling tickets for rides on test trains.
Well that situation is better than the interoceanic as they have more runs per day. They've got more speed it's been reported up to 100 kph.

With the FIT (Interoceanic), they have a mean speed of 50 kph and the single rail way is shared with freight trains as well

Last edited:

Gag Halfrunt

Here's a video showing the HST with eight passenger cars. There's nothing to say when it was filmed, but it was uploaded today (less than half an hour ago).

Video shows a walk past the full length of the train, followed by a big American locomotive shunting the train forwards and backwards. The power cars now have AAR couplers, allowing any Mexican locomotive to rescue the train.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
43170 is now Mexican FIT3007
43022 is now Mexican FIT3008

These are the only two that are currently repainted.

HST2FIT

43170 is now Mexican FIT3007
43022 is now Mexican FIT3008

These are the only two that are currently repainted.
I haven't seen the 43157 in a while even at the workshop. She must be covered so is not easy to see her from outside (is storaged in Coatzacoalcos).

I'm a little bit far away from the railway line and the stations to have a look at the cab and confirm that info but the only other possiblity is 43170 - 3008 and the 43022 - 3008.

I was trying to compare recent pictures taken in England with the newer ones to look for any particular marks, details, indentations, etcetera to figure it out their identities but nothing yet

I haven't see the 43157 in a while even at the workshop. She must be covered so is not easy to see her from outside (is storaged in Coatzacoalcos).

I'm a little bit far away from the railway line and the stations to have a look at the cab confirm that info but the only other possiblity is 43170 - 3008 and the 43022 - 3008.

I was trying to compare recent pictures taken in England with the newer ones to look for any particular marks, details, indentations, etcetera to figure it out their identities but nothing yet
Again it's a shame they got their castle nameplates ripped off. Their only surviving plates are the "BRUSH TRACTION" ones

Last edited:

XCTurbostar

Established Member
My conclusions are 100% correct. There IS damage on the roof of both from the UK which is still shown and confirms this..

Assuming the side engine grill hasn't been repaired, 43158 is missing one of the slats. 43170 was the only other in the country at the time FIT3007 was shown.

Attachments

• 43022-FIT3008.jpg
    43022-FIT3008.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 124

Gag Halfrunt

Short video of the HST passing a level crossing. The crossing is guarded by armed soldiers.

brad465

Established Member
Here's a video of a test run with five coaches from October.

If that guy at the end filming out the back cab while moving did that in the UK, that would be an RAIB investigation and a tea and biscuits meeting before the footage could be uploaded.

RichJF

Here's a video showing the HST with eight passenger cars. There's nothing to say when it was filmed, but it was uploaded today (less than half an hour ago).

Video shows a walk past the full length of the train, followed by a big American locomotive shunting the train forwards and backwards. The power cars now have AAR couplers, allowing any Mexican locomotive to rescue the train.

Looks like one of their SD70s.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Still completely unable to buy tickets for this - no dates seem available. A bit mad. It is definitely running though.

StephenHunter

Established Member
If that guy at the end filming out the back cab while moving did that in the UK, that would be an RAIB investigation and a tea and biscuits meeting before the footage could be uploaded.
"Tea and biscuits meeting"? In the British Army, they call that an "interview without coffee".

eldomtom2

On Moderation
Don't believe this was posted here, here's a thirty-minute Mexican review (with English subtitles):

takno

Established Member
They look very good inside & out.
Something similar would be perfect for Penzance/Paddington :lol::lol::lol:
That one in particular looked like it would be extremely comfortable for Inverness and Aberdeen to London.

Weird that they haven't pulled out the seat reservation indicators. My memory of them was that they were designed to be easy to just rip out and replace when the batteries ran out.

Speed43125

Saw this on Facebook of the second batch of Mexican HST stock arriving late last month. Unloading was at least partly at night and they have been sent off for repair and repaint so seem to have slipped away from most cameras so far.

Last edited: