• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Introducing RailUK Tickets - support the forum when booking your rail tickets!

miklcct

On Moderation
I'd like to provide my feedback about the calendar support of Trainsplit.

I have booked 2 journeys for travel on the coming weekend, with 1 segment (Derby - Nottingham) and 2 segments (Manchester - Derby, changing at Sheffield) respectively. There are 2 .ics files in the confirmation email. However, both .ics only contain 1 event in it, which aren't what I expect.

I expect I will receive 2 .ics files, one of them with 2 events corresponding to the Manchester - Sheffield segment and Sheffield - Derby segment, the other with 1 event containing the Derby - Nottingham segment only. This is how the .ics files look like when I download one from traintimes.org.uk

As a result, I have to enter my segments manually into my calendar.

Moreover, there isn't a machine-readable itinerary (in form of an application/ld+json script embedded in the HTML email) in the confirmation email as well. GWR and South Western Railway does that such that the complete itinerary is shown by the mail client itself, with a direct link to manage booking as well. The following is what looks like by booking manual splits at GWR (5 tickets in a single transaction) and I hope it can be implemented in Trainsplit.

1662832447871.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Adam Williams

Established Member
being on smarty, an 0333 number doesn't work
The customer support number uses the industry-standard numbering scheme designed specifically for organisations and their call centres. Ofcom introduced UK-wide 03 numbers as an alternative to chargeable 08 numbers, such as 0870 and 0845. Calls to 03 numbers are required to cost no more than a national rate call to an 01 or 02 number and must count towards any inclusive minutes in the same way as 01 and 02 calls.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use such a number via Smarty - indeed, their own help pages acknowledge that calls to these numbers are free. I'd suggest contacting them if you're having problems with your phone so that they can walk you through any troubleshooting steps.

Smarty website, showing that 03 numbers are included in the free calling plan.

Smarty is owned by Three and uses their network - I've successfully called the call centre myself on Three, so am fairly confident this isn't widespread.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Also concerned that Super Off Peak tickets not offered for the session that did work (Stevenage to KGX) - same times - would have been about 5-10 minutes after I posted the above (i.e. 2220-2230).
Best thing to do is post in a new thread; if you can detail the itinerary in question and what tickets were offered, this can be investigated.

I tried this for next Saturday and was offered:
  • Stevenage to London Zones 1-6 Super Off Peak Day Travelcard (discounted)
  • Euston to Milton Keynes Super Off Peak Return (discounted)
  • Milton Keynes to Manchester Off Peak Return

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm just getting the wheel of death - been running 10 minutes for Stevenage to Manchester and return tomorrow.

Windows 10, Chrome.

Works Stevenage to Kings X for the same time, but doesn't bring up Super Off Peak Returns at all.
I'm wondering if the Super Off Peak Return issue is due to reservations being required for LNER and there not being any available?

There does seem to be an issue with how Trainsplit is set up to sell tickets from Stevenage to London at weekends. Looking at next Saturday a number of different prices are offered, in reality only the Super Off Peak Day Return of £13.10 should ever be offered.

The issue seems to be related to the fastest journeys being via St Pancras but historically people from Stevenage will automatically put Kings Cross as the destination when going to London. The £18.94 fare is actually a super off peak day return to Finsbury Park then a Finsbury Park to Zone U1256 SDS (suggests using the Underground from Finsbury to Kings Cross in one direction1662845348582.png), even though it's an inter-available route. The £26 fare is suggesting travelling to Kings Cross in one direction and St Pancras in the other, and selling two singles, even though both singles will be issued to/from London Terminals.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I am willing to bet that one would be London Terminals and the other would be London Thameslink.
London Terminals in both cases. This is confirmed by both singles costing £13.00, a ticket to/from London Thameslink is £14.007

1662848745378.png

Adam Williams

Established Member
Stevenage to Manchester out at 10am this morning, back at 8pm this evening, 1 adult, 1 network railcard, split tickets enabled. Would have been about 5 minutes before I posted the message (i.e. around 2215-2200). No Chrome extensions as it was on my work laptop (locked down). Chrome version - 105.0.5195.102 (Official Build) (32-bit)
I've checked the logs and I can see some relevant information but when I attempted to reproduce the issue myself in Firefox and Chrome, I was unable to. Can you still reproduce the issue?

I would like to Thank you for Introducing the split rail fares. I booked a next day return from Bolton to Glasgow for a mere £65 compared to Trainline's £101 rip off fair, I have highly recommended this to everyone I know. Well done to all Involved.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I would like to Thank you for Introducing the split rail fares. I booked a next day return from Bolton to Glasgow for a mere £65 compared to Trainline's £101 rip off fair, I have highly recommended this to everyone I know. Well done to all Involved.
Youi're welcome. It took many years of hard work from a number of experts to get to the state that we are in now. And it's always evolving.

miklcct

On Moderation
Another functionality that I hope to see from Trainsplit is a map during booking process, which GTR-based websites (including Southern and Thameslink) do.

Having a map shown alongside with the itinerary gives me a better idea which route the train actually goes. It is very inconvenient having to look for the calling points of a train and find them out on a map.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Another functionality that I hope to see from Trainsplit is a map during booking process, which GTR-based websites (including Southern and Thameslink) do.

Having a map shown alongside with the itinerary gives me a better idea which route the train actually goes. It is very inconvenient having to look for the calling points of a train and find them out on a map.
But why do you need to know? This is a very niche persuit. When using split tickets, knowing where trains call at is necessary, knowing where those places are on a map isn't.

miklcct

On Moderation
But why do you need to know? This is a very niche persuit. When using split tickets, knowing where trains call at is necessary, knowing where those places are on a map isn't.
Only by reading a map I will know if the train runs on the routing I want, rather than travelling on an unnecessarily long way or doing unnecessary double-backs.

Also, by having a map, it gives me confidence while travelling as well as I know I'm on a correct train which is making progress. I was freaked out once in the past when I wasn't told that the train was diverted while buying a ticket, and discovered that the train bound for Bournemouth went onto the line towards Reading according to the GPS on my phone when it ran exceptionally slow. Showing a map which shows the route where the train runs would help me to make the correct decision of not travelling by train instead, knowing that the direct line was closed.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Only by reading a map I will know if the train runs on the routing I want, rather than travelling on an unnecessarily long way or doing unnecessary double-backs.

Also, by having a map, it gives me confidence while travelling as well as I know I'm on a correct train which is making progress. I was freaked out once in the past when I wasn't told that the train was diverted while buying a ticket, and discovered that the train bound for Bournemouth went onto the line towards Reading according to the GPS on my phone when it ran exceptionally slow. Showing a map which shows the route where the train runs would help me to make the correct decision of not travelling by train instead, knowing that the direct line was closed.
A map is highly unlikely to show you a diversion like this.

JBuchananGB

The ticket site is not producing the tickets I am looking for, it just hangs up showing me all the places it is searching. The new trainsplit site which seems to be using the same search engines, is finding me what I want immediately. Route is Birkdale to Birmingham International out on 20/9 at 14.30 stopping short at Wylde Green. Returning on 22/9 at 15.30 without going via Wylde Green. (I will buy other tickets for travel between WYL and BHI on 21/9 and 22/9)

Adam Williams

Established Member
it just hangs up showing me all the places it is searching
Thanks for the report, I've passed this on.
The new trainsplit site which seems to be using the same search engines, is finding me what I want immediately
Indeed, I believe it's an infra issue specific to how the RailUK brand has been set-up, rather than a problem at the application layer.

JBuchananGB

I think the forum's version of the site did find the tickets when I first looked for them, but as they are walk-up fares I have deferred purchasing them, and have also been aware that Avanti timetables are a bit unreliable at the moment, another reason to hold back. I might just buy them from the Birkdale ticket office on the day.

miklcct

On Moderation
1663712242253.png

The above image shows the grid view of Cricklewood - Brighton. It is misleading as it suggests trains only run every half an hour outward, and only every hour return.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is the seemingly random amount of commission the Trainsplit site takes. As an example I have been looking at a day return trip from Sheffield to Stamford. Trainsplit suggest advance tickets from Sheffield to Derby and Derby to Leicester then an off peak day return from Leicester to Stamford, giving a total fare of £26.70. Yet under “share of saving” Trainsplit tries to take £5.79, a whopping 22% of the journey cost!

But if I just try and book Sheffield to Leicester, the split fare comes in at £9.10, with the commission this time being 47p, a far more reasonable 5% of the journey cost.

Online train ticketing is a very competitive market and, to be honest, I think charging upwards of 20% commission on some sales would wipe out any saving made by split ticketing and is more likely to drive people to other sites where, once they know the split points, customers can book the same journey without paying any commission fee at all. Capping the commission rate at no more than 5% of the total journey cost would make the Trainsplit booking site more attractive - that way customers will still feel they’ve made a saving but won’t feel ripped off.

Attachments

• SMD fare.JPG
    SMD fare.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 18
  • SMDD fare.JPG
    SMDD fare.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 18

Adam Williams

Established Member
I think charging upwards of 20% commission on some sales would wipe out any saving made by split ticketing
I have nothing to do with the commercial decisions made regarding the amount of commission and how it's capped, but I want to point out that this cannot be the case. The saving that the website is displaying to you is after the commission has been charged, and takes into account this fee.

As an example I have been looking at a day return trip from Sheffield to Stamford. Trainsplit suggest advance tickets from Sheffield to Derby and Derby to Leicester then an off peak day return from Leicester to Stamford, giving a total fare of £26.70.
The through ticket that it's comparing to is an SVR priced at £65.30. The saving by splitting is £65.30-£26.70, which is £38.60. 15% of that is £5.79.

But if I just try and book Sheffield to Leicester, the split fare comes in at £9.10, with the commission this time being 47p, a far more reasonable 5% of the journey cost.
Because the saving against the through ticket it's comparing against is much diminished!

It's not random

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
One thing I don't think has been mentioned yet is the seemingly random amount of commission the Trainsplit site takes. As an example I have been looking at a day return trip from Sheffield to Stamford. Trainsplit suggest advance tickets from Sheffield to Derby and Derby to Leicester then an off peak day return from Leicester to Stamford, giving a total fare of £26.70. Yet under “share of saving” Trainsplit tries to take £5.79, a whopping 22% of the journey cost!

Online train ticketing is a very competitive market and, to be honest, I think charging upwards of 20% commission on some sales would wipe out any saving made by split ticketing and is more likely to drive people to other sites where, once they know the split points, customers can book the same journey without paying any commission fee at all. Capping the commission rate at no more than 5% of the total journey cost would make the Trainsplit booking site more attractive - that way customers will still feel they’ve made a saving but won’t feel ripped off.
There's already been discussion on this over in the more general thread about Trainsplit's fee structure, including a worked example, as Adam says it's impossible for the share of saving fee to wipe the saving out vs the equivalent 'non-split' ticket entirely.

View attachment 121022

The above image shows the grid view of Cricklewood - Brighton. It is misleading as it suggests trains only run every half an hour outward, and only every hour return.
The options on the opposing 15/30 minutes though have much longer connection times, so can see why these aren't offered by default - I wouldn't say its misleading. More options do come up when I recreate this if clicking 'Cheapest', if you particularly wanted the opposing connection then that would be a workaround.

Last edited:

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I have nothing to do with the commercial decisions made regarding the amount of commission and how it's capped, but I want to point out that this cannot be the case. The saving that the website is displaying to you is after the commission has been charged, and takes into account this fee.

The through ticket that it's comparing to is an SVR priced at £65.30. The saving by splitting is £65.30-£26.70, which is £38.60. 15% of that is £5.79.

Because the saving against the through ticket it's comparing against is much diminished!

It's not random

Without wishing to labour the point, I think most people would consider the commission as a percentage of the fare they actually paid rather than as a percentage of the saving against a full fare they would never have paid in the first place. But even if the site model is to calculate the commission as a percentage of the hypothetical saving then a 15% rate is way too high to attract the casual customer who can find lots of other split ticketing sites with a simple google search.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Just tried to buy two advance singles, one with a Senior RC and one standard adult. The site can’t cope with this scenario (but Trainline for instance can).

Result = one lost sale

Adam Williams

Established Member
Just tried to buy two advance singles, one with a Senior RC and one standard adult. The site can’t cope with this scenario (but Trainline for instance can).

Result = one lost sale
It is possible to buy two Advances - one Railcard discounted and one full price - in one transaction without having to perform two separate purchases, but it is fair criticism that it is indeed not possible to add both to the basket in one step with only one search in the way you might expect it to work.

I don't think you'll find anyone at Raileasy who thinks the way it currently works is ideal, but it's unfortunately a supplier limitation.

tornado

Given that GWR can book a cycle space for any journey in the UK (even if you don't buy a ticket from then), will RailUK/Trainsplit add the same feature? GWR must just be hooking into some nationwide database. You aren't even asked for your ticket details when booking a cycle space through them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Result = one lost sale
As mentioned above, you can do this in one transaction but not with one search (due to a technical limitation) however I understand there are plans to remove the limitation as soon as possible but it's more of a medium to long term thing, it's not possible in the short term unfortunately.

DH159

Today I've booked a trip for the end of this month Birmingham-Maidstone for £29 return (senior railcard). Easy to use, and email + calendar entries with all of the times and connections shown clearly. This was after I tried Trainpal, which repeatedly said there weren't any trains at all!