• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jet2 orders more planes

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
The 757 outbound was good too, but I think that's going to be my last 757 unless I get over to the USA and do one domestically there.
Icelandair still use 757s - although this may not be the best time of year to try going to Iceland...?

As regards Jet 2; I have seen some of their new aircraft passing overhead - it looks to me like they're still only on a very few specific diagrams?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
I did back from TFS on the A330, so almost the same distance/time. Loved it, especially as me and my wife were in a bay of 2. The 757 outbound was good too, but I think that's going to be my last 757 unless I get over to the USA and do one domestically there.
Bay of 2? I always assumed all Jet2 "short haul" flights were always 3 + 3 (apart from the one that has one row of 2+2)

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
unless they will temporarily become a duel manufacturer airline (I know they are now but it does increase costs for a company that tries to keep low fares).
Ryanair, the King of low fares, is exactly that, interestingly enough. B737 for the primary brand, Buzz and Malta Air, and A320 for the Lauda-branded operations.

mpthomson

The A330s are on long-term charter from AirTanker, they’re the ones ordered by the RAF but not needed.

Had the pleasure of the A330 and the A321neo when I went to Lanzarote last month. The A321neo is quiet but, with the way Jet2 have fitted it out, it is cramped. Worse than the B737. The A330 was lovely, but it was also barely half full.
They weren't ordered by the RAF and it's not so much that they they aren't needed, they never were needed and were never intended for the RAF except in case of a large scale conflict where some were lost as a (very) strategic reserve.

AirTanker ordered an additional 5 to the same build order to lease for commercial purposes. They have the external points for the refuelling system/DAS fitted (easy for the refuelling as it uses the same mounts that carry the outward engines on an A340, the wings are basically the same) but none of the internal fittings/avionics needed. Converting them to full tanker spec isn't a quick process. Two have operated for Jet2 over the summer, one is leased by the RAF for trooping flights and the other two are the permanent airframes on the South Atlantic Airbridge.

'Boris Force One' is one of the RAF registered, full tanker airframes.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Ryanair, the King of low fares, is exactly that, interestingly enough. B737 for the primary brand, Buzz and Malta Air, and A320 for the Lauda-branded operations.
That's because they acquired the A320s with Lauda they will be replaced with 737s

childwallblues

Established Member
Jet 2 commenced operations from Liverpool Airport this morning. The first flights were at 0800 to Tenerife South and 1000 to Lanzarote. 20 destinations will be served this summer. Jet 2 has based 3 x Boeing 737-800 at Liverpool to operate the services.

westv

Established Member
Are Jet2 still a "budget" airline?
We are considering flying with them to Mallorca first week in October and the flight would cost us £1032 on a Saturday or £819 on Sunday. That's including 20kg baggage for both of us and a flights at 09:05 or 07:30 from Leeds Bradford. Is that expensive or the new "cheap"?

Snow1964

Established Member
We are considering flying with them to Mallorca first week in October and the flight would cost us £1032 on a Saturday or £819 on Sunday. That's including 20kg baggage for both of us and a flights at 09:05 or 07:30 from Leeds Bradford. Is that expensive or the new "cheap"?
Including luggage for couple can be worth about £100-130 each return.

No really cheap flights to Med or Canaries anymore, if you find one then return leg exactly week later is often expensive

cactustwirly

Established Member

I'm sorry? That's crazy!!

westv

Established Member
Including luggage for couple can be worth about £100-130 each return.

No really cheap flights to Med or Canaries anymore, if you find one then return leg exactly week later is often expensive
£160 extra but not much choice as we'd find a week's packing impossible to get into the overhead baggage area in the cabin.

cactustwirly

Established Member
£160 extra but not much choice as we'd find a week's packing impossible to get into the overhead baggage area in the cabin.

Other airlines don't charge that amount for hold luggage, if you go for the economy plus fare on BA it's £10 or 20 extra and includes seat selection and hold luggage.

westv

Established Member
Other airlines don't charge that amount for hold luggage, if you go for the economy plus fare on BA it's £10 or 20 extra and includes seat selection and hold luggage.
Not many BA flights from Leeds. :D

DanNCL

Established Member
That’s very expensive. In all likelihood to be that price it’s probably the last two seats on the plane. All airlines have pricing tactics like that for the last seats on a flight, even Ryanair.

westv

Established Member
That’s very expensive. In all likelihood to be that price it’s probably the last two seats on the plane. All airlines have pricing tactics like that for the last seats on a flight, even Ryanair.
Maybe. Loads of free seats on seat map but that doesn't mean people haven't booked.
Around £700 to £800 for sams dates next year.
I guess the question is, when does "budget" cease to be budget?

DanNCL

Established Member
Maybe. Loads of free seats on seat map but that doesn't mean people haven't booked.
That’s entirely normal, even for the dates next year. It’s not at all reasonable but it is what it is, most airlines do it. You should see the prices BA often charge for their domestic flights on an ASLEF strike day, it’s comparable.

Another possibility now I think of it is that those specific flights might be associated with one of their package holidays. The package holidays are more profitable than flight only passengers so it could be that they’re deliberately pricing flight only passengers off those flights with the hope of filling them with people taking up the package holiday.

These days Jet2 is a package holiday company first and foremost, it wouldn’t surprise me if they only bother with the budget airline bit when they can’t fill the plane with package holiday customers alone.

I flew to Salzburg with Jet2 for £30 earlier this year so they do sometimes do cheap flights.

WestCoast

Established Member
Jet2 sell a lot of their seats as part of a package holiday, they are more like a classic charter airline in that respect and closer to TUI than Ryanair. I find they are usually undercut by other budget airlines if you just want a flight although there will always be exceptions to this where they want to fill unsold seats.

pug1

Jet2 sell a lot of their seats as part of a package holiday, they are more like a classic charter airline in that respect and closer to TUI than Ryanair. I find they are usually undercut by other budget airlines if you just want a flight although there will always be exceptions to this where they want to fill unsold seats.
Absolutely this. I think a lot of it depends on the destination too. If it’s Alicante or one of their city destinations you may find cheaper fares, but if it’s to a typical package holiday destination at a time when school holidays are (October half term?) then absolutely the price will increase.

Airline seats are perishable products. Not every single flight necessarily breaks even, but at popular times like school holidays this is why you may see the baseline prices increase. Also, if lots of people are trying to book on a given date to a given destination the fares will increase.

With all that said, the sale of a ticket rarely breaks even now. Typically onboard retail is where the profits are made.

westv

Established Member
Absolutely this. I think a lot of it depends on the destination too. If it’s Alicante or one of their city destinations you may find cheaper fares, but if it’s to a typical package holiday destination at a time when school holidays are (October half term?) then absolutely the price will increase.

Airline seats are perishable products. Not every single flight necessarily breaks even, but at popular times like school holidays this is why you may see the baseline prices increase. Also, if lots of people are trying to book on a given date to a given destination the fares will increase.

With all that said, the sale of a ticket rarely breaks even now. Typically onboard retail is where the profits are made.
Is that likely? Alicante is the airport for Benidorm, not just Alicante city. School holidays are end of October.

I do think the fare is expensive but I don't disagree with the reasons given. However, I do question how Jet2 can be considered a "budget airline" or "low cost".

DanNCL

Established Member
I do think the fare is expensive but I don't disagree with the reasons given. However, I do question how Jet2 can be considered a "budget airline" or "low cost".
I think 'no frills' would be a more accurate description. And 'holiday airline'.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Is that likely? Alicante is the airport for Benidorm, not just Alicante city. School holidays are end of October.

Mallorca is a popular place for all sorts of people, young and old. And Jet2 have a large number of holidays on offer across the island, so flights are likely to be pretty full for most of the season not just school holidays. Those seats you've seen would probably go to someone booking a late holiday deal.

For example I booked a package holiday for 2 to Mallorca in June of last year for a mid September holiday for around £800. Similarly this year I booked for the Algarve just 6 weeks out for a similar price. So perhaps they are simply putting package holiday prices on limited seat availability until they think those remaining seats won't be sold as part of a package deal?

mpthomson

Jet2 isn’t either now in reality to Mediterranean/Canarian sun destinations, although it remains so to its more city break type destinations. It’s much more of a package holiday company than an airline. The large majority of seats will have been sold as part of a package so the remaining few to places like Mallorca and Tenerife tend to be very expensive relatively, as Jet2 would rather sell a whole package to use those seats.

route101

Established Member
Most people I know who fly Jet2 are flying them as part of a package. Even Ryanair can be expensive to the canaries with flights up to £350 one way. If anything Jet2 are somewhat more premium compared to Easyjet and Ryanair.

WestCoast

Established Member
Most people I know who fly Jet2 are flying them as part of a package. Even Ryanair can be expensive to the canaries with flights up to £350 one way. If anything Jet2 are somewhat more premium compared to Easyjet and Ryanair.

Jet2 have nailed the experience on the ground I find by employing their own staff in their uniform who are pleasant and helpful. No stressed out boarding agent stood at the gate with a credit card machine like easyJet and Ryanair. However, onboard I find they are all rather similar, in fact I think easyJet A320neos are more comfortable than the Jet2 737s with just as good staff.

westv

Established Member
I was curious to know what Ryanair were charging for the Sunday flight.
£767 if you want 20kg of baggage. Jet2 are £800

For example I booked a package holiday for 2 to Mallorca in June of last year for a mid September holiday for around £800. Similarly this year I booked for the Algarve just 6 weeks out for a similar price. So perhaps they are simply putting package holiday prices on limited seat availability until they think those remaining seats won't be sold as part of a package deal?
£800 in total? Was it a week in a tent or 1 star hotel?! :D

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
I was curious to know what Ryanair were charging for the Sunday flight.
£767 if you want 20kg of baggage. Jet2 are £800

£800 in total? Was it a week in a tent or 1 star hotel?! :D
Ha ha, no it was a self catering apartment, in fact both holidays we ended up with 2 bed apartments (I'm sitting in one in Alvor right now)! You'd be amazed what hanging on for a late deal can get you! :D

westv

Established Member
Ha ha, no it was a self catering apartment, in fact both holidays we ended up with 2 bed apartments (I'm sitting in one in Alvor right now)! You'd be amazed what hanging on for a late deal can get you! :D
Sounds good although I do prefer B&B and 4 star hotels.