• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Keep getting penalty fares for fictional people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wath Yard

The phone number is available, it is even listed on the TfL website. TfL states it is payments only, but comment on MSE suggests otherwise.

I can't believe someone would suggest it isn't worth the effort of phoning just in case they tell you to write instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fare-Cop

Nobody said anything about whining at Credit reference agencies. I assume you misread writing for whining ?

The attached document will however validate my comments although frankly I am shocked at the number of challenges from people on here to someone who has actually experienced the problem. Anyway this looks like this topic is going to degnerate into the usual so I am out of here.

James Forridge I hope you get everything sorted out. Here is a useful explanatory report for your reading. It may help. http://www.cifas.org.uk/secure/contentPORT/uploads/documents/CIFAS%20Reports/The_Anonymous_Attacker_CIFAS_Special_Report_Oct_2009.pdf

I don't think anyone should cause this very valid thread to degenerate in any way and like James, I hope the OP gets it sorted promptly.

The suggestion I have given above is based on daily experience of dealing with these matters. It is up to the OP how s/he chooses to deal with it, but can assure the reader the process I have outlined is the correct one.

The Police will not be able to assist, but the TOC will need a cast iron case that the OP is the offender to be able to proceed with any action.

If a letter is addressed to a name that is not resident at your address, don't open it, put it back in the post unopened and marked 'not known - return to sender'

bluenoxid

Established Member
Post have been deleted on this thread. I am removing mine as well.

Last edited:

Fare-Cop

The phone number is available, it is even listed on the TfL website. TfL states it is payments only, but comment on MSE suggests otherwise.

I can't believe someone would suggest it isn't worth the effort of phoning just in case they tell you to write instead.

Why pay for a phone call that you don't need to make?

If the TOC is always to accept that line of reasoning, anyone who is accused of any offence should be able to ring up and say 'It ain't me pal' and the prosecutor should say 'That's OK then, we'll drop it'.

That's why they will ask the OP to put it in writing, then s/he has put their own name into the file entirely unnecessarily.

'Not known - Return to sender' every time.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Post have been deleted on this thread. I am removing mine as well.

Last edited:

hantsman1205

Reseal it with tape and mark with return to sender. The worst that will happen is that it will reach a Mail Opening Centre who will see what your intention is bag it in a plastic bag and send it back to them or return it to you.

If there is a return address, just ring it and return not known at this address, you dont need a stamp.

The rest of the post above is not what happens.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Like I said, phone number (there is one on the payment page on their website). If they refuse to deal with you an alternate option is to drop them a quick letter with your address and phone number on and an urgent notification to get in touch with you. Do not pay any money and get a solicitor if they try to push the debts on to you.

The debt is attached to your address anyway so unless you are trying to do anything soon you are throwing money.

Debt is not attached to an address.

dvboy

Established Member
You do not need to phone them or explain anything. write return to sender on the front and stick it in a post box

The outstanding debt cannot be linked to you as it's not in your name. Simples.

Squaddie

Right, I guess I should contact them to get it sorted. One thing though, as I said in the first post, I'm reluctant to give them my actual name in case they use it against me because I have a bad feeling they will resort to underhanded tactics. Should I give them my real name? If I don't give it to them then it's easier to prove that I wasn't on the train since if they prosecute me like they're threatening they won't have it to use in their case. What do you guys think? edit: the reason I think they might is because of the second letter that makes me wonder whether they're just making up names themselves.
If you want to resolve this then you are going to have to deal with it like an adult - which means giving your name and having some serious discussions with people in authority. You have nothing to be afraid of. And I would disregard the suggestions that you have been a victim of identity theft - it is probably nothing more sinister than some fare-dodger giving a false name and random address which just happens to be yours.

Fare-Cop

It depends what they are asking for. Remember, it costs them for every failed prosecution they make.

Aside from a stamp and processing time, which will be included in preparing the papers with anything up to 50 more cases listed for hearing on the same day, tell us, what does it cost?

This really is getting daft, 'NOT KNOWN - RETURN TO SENDER'

How much easier can it be? Remember KISS.

tony_mac

Established Member
But speaking to them directly is more likely to get them stopped in future (as well as returning the letters).
What does it cost? A letter, a phone call?
Personally, I would, just for peace of mind.

In the unlikely event that it is more sinister than simply a randomly chosen address then being proactive at this stage may also be helpful.

Fare-Cop

I think this is the last time I'll post on here. People seem to want to make thinks more complicated than they are.

Yes, it could be pro-active and helpful to write in an ideal world, but we don't live in that utopian place. The processing agency IRCAS or RPSS dependent on TOC may close the file, but they are only concerned with the throughput of notices for which they get paid. The message will NOT get relayed to every railway guard/conductor/inspector on the network and the next time Mr or Mrs X gets caught the cycle starts again. It's no good running to the Police, they will say there is nothing they can do, so I'm afraid that we have to deal with the real world.

If the OP is not the named person, they are not threatening to prosecute him.

They are threatening to prosecute an unknown person at his address. No problem, they cannot prosecute an address and there is no such person known at that address

If a larger envelope addressed to the same name, which is likely to be a Summons, turns up, mark it 'NOT KNOWN - RETURN TO SENDER AS PREVIOUSLY DONE ON XXXXXX DATE'.

You can be assured that the TOC prosecutor is going to have some difficult questions to answer about identity checks when they face the Legal Advisor at the Magistrates Court.

He or she will pass that 'tongue-lashing' down the line to IRCAS or RPSS

We don't any of us like being made fools of, do we?

Last edited:

moonrakerz

Not the best tactic to be honest. Just compare this to the TV Licensing people, whom are known for their aggressive take on illegal activity.

I wouldn't compare a TOC with TVL - I haven't read of many cases of them pursuing people who didn't have a train ticket when they weren't traveling on a train ! Which is, in effect, what TVL do all the time.

I (and many others) wouldn't mind them taking an "aggressive take on illegal activity" if they didn't also do this on perfectly legal activity - like not actually requiring a TV Licence.

Still - I await my next "meeting" with them - I have banned them from ever setting foot on my property. TVL have acknowledged this in writing to both me and my MP :lol::lol:

exile

Established Member
If something is addressed to someone who is not you, you shouldn't open it. Would you like someone else to open YOUR letters?

If something is addressed to someone who is not you, you shouldn't open it. Would you like someone else to open YOUR letters?

The first letter was honestly opened by mistake. Since I live alone I never expect letters to be addressed to anyone else so I usually just open them and read them without looking at the front. I won't be doing that anymore though.

To answer your question, no I wouldn't, but if it did get open in a situation like this I wouldn't get angry at the person for opening it, but rather the person that sent it to the wrong address.

All this is probably moot though, because I'm sure the two people the letters were addressed to are fictional anyway, so I haven't invaded anyone's privacy at all. I can tell you this, I'm not exactly going to lose any sleep over it. I haven't broken any laws or done anything wrong as far as I can tell.

Flamingo

Established Member
Given the odds of anybody getting an address and postcode correct when guessing it at random, the most likely culprits are either a previous resident, a close neighbor, or a friend who would know your address by heart. Ask around!

dvboy

Established Member
As someone who has lived in a rented flat and received mail for various people who don't live there, much of it quite obviously from debt collection agencies, return it all to the sender, that really is all you need to do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Now can someone please lock this thread before any more bad and uneccesary advice is given please?

Given the odds of anybody getting an address and postcode correct when guessing it at random, the most likely culprits are either a previous resident, a close neighbor, or a friend who would know your address by heart. Ask around!

Yes I have a strong suspicion it's someone that somehow knows me and my address. I think you might very well be right. I just has to be. It's definitely the most likely explanation.

I wish people would be more considerate as this whole thing is really worrying me (edit sorry I didn't mean anyone in this thread, I meant the person that gave my address).

Last edited:

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
The problem I have is that with credit reports they can attach debt to your property

CRAs do not keep records by address. A credit search is done on an individual. Individuals can be linked, for example having a joint account, however just sharing the same address does not create such a link, and as such the information cannot be used by a lender to asses an application.

I think this is the last time I'll post on here. People seem to want to make thinks more complicated than they are.

Yes, it could be pro-active and helpful to write in an ideal world, but we don't live in that utopian place. The processing agency IRCAS or RPSS dependent on TOC may close the file, but they are only concerned with the throughput of notices for which they get paid. The message will NOT get relayed to every railway guard/conductor/inspector on the network and the next time Mr or Mrs X gets caught the cycle starts again. It's no good running to the Police, they will say there is nothing they can do, so I'm afraid that we have to deal with the real world.

If the OP is not the named person, they are not threatening to prosecute him.

They are threatening to prosecute an unknown person at his address. No problem, they cannot prosecute an address and there is no such person known at that address

If a larger envelope addressed to the same name, which is likely to be a Summons, turns up, mark it 'NOT KNOWN - RETURN TO SENDER AS PREVIOUSLY DONE ON XXXXXX DATE'.

You can be assured that the TOC prosecutor is going to have some difficult questions to answer about identity checks when they face the Legal Advisor at the Magistrates Court.

He or she will pass that 'tongue-lashing' down the line to IRCAS or RPSS

We don't any of us like being made fools of, do we?

I could not agree more! Mountains and Molehills come to mind!

34D

Established Member
I ignored letters sent to my old address when i was living there, until a highly aggressive debt collector turned up, who wouldnt accept i was not the named person, and they didnt live there

I also had this issue. I would agree with the advice to send a letter advising that the named person does not and has never lived there.

When I called up DCA's to stem mail for others I found that they wouldn't do anything without being told my details to verify. From their point of view, this makes complete sense.

Yes, you don't _have_ to do anything more than write "not at this address" but it is in your interests to proactively deal with the issue.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
If you tell them who you are, and that the other names don't exist (well, are not known) they would surely flag their own internal checking system so anyone using that name/address in the future would be told it is false?

Don't all RPIs phone up to check addresses? On FCC they do.

That's not to say the operator may just give up and not want more information, but I'm pretty sure they will at least try and stop anything new going there if someone is continuing to give that address.

richw

Veteran Member
as a side note, in financial regulated businesses, if a customer is in arrears it is a regulation that notices of arrears have to be sent to the last known address of that customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.