• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leaving car in gear yes or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Do you leave your car in first gear when parked or left in Neutral? I leave my car in Neutral

At lights do you put the car in first gear or put it in neutral? Put it in first gear at traffic lights.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Do you leave your car in first gear when parked or left in Neutral? I leave my car in Neutral

Always in gear. On my older BMW the handbrake is very poor (design rather than maintenance issue) therefore leaving it in gear is quite important in places. It’s easier to keep in the habit.

At lights do you put the car in first gear or put it in neutral? Put it in first gear at traffic lights.

Generally neutral. Kinder on the car, and in any case I often start off in second.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I drive an automatic now but when driving a manual I always left it in 2nd gear when parked. At traffic lights a mixture

Ediswan

Established Member
Now automatic so 'Park'. Previously, neutral, unless parked on a steep hill, when I suspect turning the front wheels towards the kerb was more useful.

simonw

Generally leave it in gear, why would you not?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

First or reverse, the opposite of which way it's facing. I got used to doing so when I had the Vectra estate, it had an utterly useless handbrake so it needed the backup. (They were well-known for "rollaways" - about the only problem with what was an excellent car).

Neutral, for two reasons. Less load on the clutch throw bearing, and it allows the auto start/stop to function (putting the clutch down to go back into gear restarts the engine, so if the clutch is held down then the engine doesn't stop).

Generally leave it in gear, why would you not?

I generally do, but the one argument I've heard for not doing so is that if you're parked on the road and someone shunts you it can cause gearbox damage. But on balance I'd rather do it so I'm confident my car won't roll away, particularly as my drive slopes towards the road and people park cars on the road opposite it, so if it did run away I would certainly be in receipt of an insurance claim.

NeilWatson

From The Times today ( not linked as behind a paywall)

A police officer destroyed part of a house and left the owner injured when she forgot to engage a handbrake and her car rolled out of control.

PC Rachel Hutchison’s empty Fiat 500 rolled downhill and crossed a junction before slamming into a home and smashing two of the external walls.

John McNeil was sitting at his desk when the car ploughed into his home and shunted a bed against his ankle and injured him.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A police officer destroyed part of a house and left the owner injured when she forgot to engage a handbrake and her car rolled out of control.

One reason I dislike electronic handbrakes. When I park up I always have the habit of looking through the window before I walk away for two reasons - one to ensure any parking ticket is correctly displayed and hasn't blown off the dash, and two to ensure the handbrake is on and it's in gear.

Trackman

Established Member
Stay in 1st even on a hill or whatever, obviously clutch in (well.. or out...) and foot on the brake pedal.
If I didnt know the car I would use the handbrake until I'd sussed biting points/brakes out.

MotCO

Established Member
At trafic lights - I was always taught to put your handbrake on, and slip into neutral (unless of course the lights were about to change.) This also has the benefit of not blinding any drivers behind you with your bright brake lights, and also, if you're rear ended, the car is in neutral so may 'give' a bit (the handbrake may say otherwise though!)

Parking on a hill - only leave in gear if on a steep hill. I seem to have been lucky that my cars handbrakes have been efficient.

telstarbox

Established Member
I commute via some traffic lights on a hill and see so many people not using the handbrake when they're waiting at the lights. Why not use it - it's easier!

Gloster

Established Member
At traffic lights it is handbrake on and into neutral. Always (unless the lights change before I have put the handbrake on).

When I park I always leave the car in neutral. If you are worried about the brake failing and your motor running away, park close to the kerb and slightly angled into it. (I know you can’t do that everywhere, like on that hill in Harlech, but you should keep your handbrake in good order.)

SteveM70

Established Member
Always leave the car in gear when I park it. Was taught to when I learnt 35 years ago and have done so ever since.

alxndr

Established Member
I don’t leave my car in gear unless on an incline, but it’s 50-50 if I’ll leave a work van in gear. With my car it’s a hang over when my ex used to hate it being left in gear, with the vans I’ve seen the handbrake fail often enough that I don’t have much faith in them unless it’s dead flat.

When I had an old van of my own I’d generally leave that in gear though. Never had the handbrake on it fail but it didn’t “feel” very robust (to be honest, nothing in an old Fiat Doblo feels very robust!)

Ted633

If I'm parking on a hill, I'll leave the car in gear, otherwise just the handbrake.

At a set of lights, if I'm at the front (or maybe 1 behind) I'll keep the car in gear so I can move off immediately. If I'm further back, I'll change to neutral and put the handbrake on.

birchesgreen

Established Member

Always in first gear, my driveway has quite a slope anyway.

At lights i will be in gear unless i expect to wait awhile then it'll be in neutral.

Marton

Having mostly lived in hilly places, always in gear in the opposite direction to the incline.

Once, years ago, I parked and while collecting my stuff looked in the mirror to see a car moving down the hill in car park and into the back of me. It was empty and had been parked a while apparently. Why then ?.

Low impact minimal damage but a pain. I don’t want to be the one hitting someone like that one day.

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
I remember a work colleague not putting the handbrake on his car and seeing it roll across the work car park, luckily all it hit was a curb (fairly lightly no damage). Quite surreal to see though!

SeanG

Established Member
Always park in gear - was reading the car's manual and it says to do so - therefore I would expect warranty/insurance not to pay out if it wasn't.

At the lights, always put into neutral and handbrake on. I keep my foot on the brake if I'm last in the queue though, in case someone coming from behind doesn't realise we are stationary etc. However 0nfe they have joined the queue I'll take my foot off the brake.

Ken H

On Moderation
Round here many lights have an up hill to the stop line. So its a hill start pulling away. So handbrake on. Thats what comes from learning in Skipton!

class68fan

On Moderation
Parking leave in gear. Direction which will cause no problem if start and car jumps. Never know if hand break might fail.

At lights depend if i know the cycle. If quick cycle in gear, If long neutral, dont know in gear. Old car no auto engine stop/start.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If I'm parking on a hill, I'll leave the car in gear, otherwise just the handbrake.

At a set of lights, if I'm at the front (or maybe 1 behind) I'll keep the car in gear so I can move off immediately. If I'm further back, I'll change to neutral and put the handbrake on.

Do you not find the red-and-amber phase is exactly the amount of time required to depress the clutch and shift into first? I do. I suspect that isn't a coincidence.

DelW

Established Member
Once, years ago, I parked and while collecting my stuff looked in the mirror to see a car moving down the hill in car park and into the back of me. It was empty and had been parked a while apparently. Why then ?.
With drum brakes, if the brakes are hot when parked then cool off, the drum will shrink and the handbrake will hold more firmly. However more cars have discs all round now, and a hot disc cooling and shrinking will tend to release the handbrake. (I think some cars may have a separate drum brake on the transmission for the handbrake, to avoid this).

Sitting at traffic lights in gear with the clutch depressed will surely increase wear on the clutch bearing? At least that's what I was taught, admittedly many years ago.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sitting at traffic lights in gear with the clutch depressed will surely increase wear on the clutch bearing? At least that's what I was taught, admittedly many years ago.

It does, yes, though it's less likely to be an issue with higher quality modern parts. What it does do, though, is override the auto stop-start on cars that have it, and so cause unnecessary pollution, so you shouldn't do it for that reason.

The other reason I was taught is that if you have it on the footbrake or hold on the clutch and someone shunts you from behind, the shock will likely make you release it and so hit the car in front too, worsening the impact of any rear-ending accident.

PeterC

Established Member
Always park in gear - was reading the car's manual and it says to do so - therefore I would expect warranty/insurance not to pay out if it wasn't.

At the lights, always put into neutral and handbrake on. I keep my foot on the brake if I'm last in the queue though, in case someone coming from behind doesn't realise we are stationary etc. However 0nfe they have joined the queue I'll take my foot off the brake.
I do the same in any stationary traffic and then apply the handbrake to activate the stop-start function.

My current car has a handbrake that I trust on a moderate slope.

Red Onion

Always park leaving it in gear (or park in the case of an automatic) for the obvious reason of a failed handbrake occurring.

At lights, unless I can see it’s away to change quickly then I’m handbrake on and into neutral, even in an automatic as they can have a tendency to try and pull away when handbrake is on.

And don’t get me started about folk sitting on a hill holding it by the clutch, that gives me kittens!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Strangely enough it was only yesterday morning I started the car and someone else had left it gear causing me to stall. People park so close to each other I’m lucky I didn’t bang in to anyone.

As for damaging clutches at traffic lights you are doing far more damage to your car using the start stop feature. I switch it off every time I use the car.

Ediswan

Established Member
As for damaging clutches at traffic lights you are doing far more damage to your car using the start stop feature. I switch it off every time I use the car.
How so ? Having asked that, I should note that I also switch mine off as it has the unfortunate habit of stopping just as I go to enter a roundabout or pull out at a T junction.

Status
Not open for further replies.