• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool Central Low Level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spagnoletti

Has anyone got or know of any photos of Liv Central low level _before_ the loop was constructed?
My childhood memory is of a large grimy space with several bay platforms with an overbridge connecting the bays and leading out to the barriers and tunnel that linked (I think) originally to the high level station, which I don't remember at all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spagnoletti

Well I was only about 6 so it probably looked bigger :D
Was the turnback siding in a short section of tunnel?
I don't really remember that but it explains the overbridge.

Multiple Unit

Photo Here of it when it became partly Disused.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/l/liverpool_central_hl/lverpool_central1.jpg

The Underground has never realy changed aprt from some new seating at the Hunts Cross Bound end of the platform.

On the subject of Liverpool Central, Why is it that the Old Wirral Line Tunnel Cannot be used for passenger traffic even in the event of a falliure of a unit on the loop line I would imagi9ne that an emergency path could be found for a platform on the Northern Line.

Bedpan

Established Member
You must be getting mixed up between the High Level and Low Level stations then. My memory of the low level station in the early 1970s is that it isn't much different then to what it is today, just that the tunnel beyond where the turn back siding ended has been extended through Moorfields to link up with the line that used to run into Exchange. Funny how one's memory distorts things over the years,

Polarbear

Established Member
On the subject of Liverpool Central, Why is it that the Old Wirral Line Tunnel Cannot be used for passenger traffic even in the event of a falliure of a unit on the loop line I would imagi9ne that an emergency path could be found for a platform on the Northern Line.

I understand the link is not signalled for passenger traffic & I think that it's only single line.

Added to that, what is now the Northern line platforms handle 24 trains per hour as it is for most of the day. Trains to Kirkby & Ormskirk turn around in the platforms so there's little leeway for late running on the Northern line, let alone trying to push Wirral line trains that way too.

I can just about remember the low level platforms before the loop line. It closed in 1975 & as mentioned above, consisted of one island platform, (pretty much where the present Northern line platform is). I recall it as being very grim & dingy, but it did have a direct entrance to the Lewis' store above.

Spagnoletti

I never realised the original low level station was used for the northern line connection, since I grew up on the wirral, I have only ever used the loop platforms. I'll have to go and have a look and see if it seems at all similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.