• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER - Gold Card Confusion

WordleWise

Hi all,

My commute is from Haywards Heath to London Victoria and I bought my annual season ticket on the LNER website last month to take advantage of the Amex cashback. It was loaded onto a LNER smartcard.

I am therefore entitled to the Annual Gold Card but I have not received the Gold Record Card through the post. I queried the missing gold card to LNER by email who eventually responded that “your LNER smartcard acts as your annual gold card”. I am pretty sure this is not the case. There is no mention of a gold card entitlement in the ticket details and I would expect various challenges if I were to purchase discounted tickets without any evidence of possessing a gold card, not to mention trying to persuade a TFL ticket office to apply the gold card discount to my Oyster card.

I phoned LNER to make these points, but that seemed to result in more confusion, with no one being able to tell me if, how or when I would be provided with a gold card. LNER are still looking into this, but given I have already effectively lost a month of gold card benefits I wondered if anyone had a similar experience or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi all,

My commute is from Haywards Heath to London Victoria and I bought my annual season ticket on the LNER website last month to take advantage of the Amex cashback. It was loaded onto a LNER smartcard.

I am therefore entitled to the Annual Gold Card but I have not received the Gold Record Card through the post. I queried the missing gold card to LNER by email who eventually responded that “your LNER smartcard acts as your annual gold card”. I am pretty sure this is not the case. There is no mention of a gold card entitlement in the ticket details and I would expect various challenges if I were to purchase discounted tickets without any evidence of possessing a gold card, not to mention trying to persuade a TFL ticket office to apply the gold card discount to my Oyster card.

I phoned LNER to make these points, but that seemed to result in more confusion, with no one being able to tell me if, how or when I would be provided with a gold card. LNER are still looking into this, but given I have already effectively lost a month of gold card benefits I wondered if anyone had a similar experience or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
You need a 'Gold Record Card' as proof of having a Gold Card with Smart Card Season Tickets. These should be sent out in the post after obtaining a smart season ticket.

The issuing TOC is immaterial, so LNER should be sending you a Gold Record Card.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
LNER are wrong - for smartcards seasons, a Gold Record Card should be issued. It's only a paper annual season that acts as a Gold Card in its own right - that's because it's issued on ticket stock that clearly states "Gold Card".

I would complain to LNER and ask them to reimburse any additional amounts you've had to pay because you've been unable to make use of your Gold Card discount. Of course you'll want to present receipts or other evidence of the (Gold Card-eligible) tickets you've bought.

WordleWise

Hello again. Thanks for all the initial responses on this.

Over a month later and I am still without a Gold Record Card and still struggling to get LNER to understand the rules and their obligations. I escalated this to a complaint after getting no further after my initial explanation. LNER failed to come back to me within the stated 10 working days, so I chased and eventually received a response today denying I was entitled to a Gold Card because both London Victoria and Haywards Heath are outside the Gold Card Area They even sent me a link to the map of the Gold Card Area which clearly shows both stations!

In the face of such abject incompetence I fear I am only going to get a resolution if I take this to the Ombudsman. I have asked LNER to confirm that this is their final response, but do you know if I have to wait for this confirmation? I fear it will be another three weeks until I get a response.

Thanks.

Ask for a deadlock letter and suitably inform them they’re stupid beyond belief. Complain to the MD as well

sheff1

Established Member
Rest assured it's being looked into.
Well that worked well ...
Over a month later and I am still without a Gold Record Card and still struggling to get LNER to understand the rules and their obligations. I escalated this to a complaint after getting no further after my initial explanation. LNER failed to come back to me within the stated 10 working days, so I chased and eventually received a response today denying I was entitled to a Gold Card because both London Victoria and Haywards Heath are outside the Gold Card Area They even sent me a link to the map of the Gold Card Area which clearly shows both stations!

In the face of such abject incompetence I fear I am only going to get a resolution if I take this to the Ombudsman. I have asked LNER to confirm that this is their final response, but do you know if I have to wait for this confirmation? I fear it will be another three weeks until I get a response.
You can go to the Ombudsman once 40 working days have passed since you first complained to LNER, or you get the 'deadlock' letter, whichever is sooner.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I do know that hasn't happened
Indeed if that was the intention, they could just change the terms of the offer to exclude season tickets. I'm rather surprised that wasn't done from the outset, seeing as the commission rates on season ticket sales are so much lower.

WordleWise

Thanks all. Assuming LNER do not suddenly see sense, I'll wait for the deadlock confirmation / 40 working day period to expire before taking next steps. At this rate I'll probably have Gold Card benefits for a few weeks before the annual season ticket expires!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would be making sure you keep hold of receipts/tickets for any journeys you should have been able to use your Gold Card on. As LNER should be reimbursing you the difference here for their inexcusable delay in providing you with your Gold Record Card.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Thanks all. Assuming LNER do not suddenly see sense, I'll wait for the deadlock confirmation / 40 working day period to expire before taking next steps. At this rate I'll probably have Gold Card benefits for a few weeks before the annual season ticket expires!
I'm stunned it's taking so long to get sorted. It wouldn't have happened in my day!