• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled around Havant

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Last Saturday's appearance of B1 "Mayflower", buoyed my appetite for steam. This week has returned to "dismal" - so here are a few (recent or recent-ish) shots to lift the spirits.

Attachments

• 1638_BluebellRly.JPG
    1638_BluebellRly.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 30
  • 925_MidHantsRly.JPG
    925_MidHantsRly.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 45379_MidhantsRly.JPG
    45379_MidhantsRly.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 92212_BluebellRly.JPG
    92212_BluebellRly.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • 60163_Shalford.jpg
    60163_Shalford.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 18
  • 30053_SwanageRly.JPG
    30053_SwanageRly.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 45596_Totton.jpg
    45596_Totton.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 19
  • 60103_Portcreek_2.jpg
    60103_Portcreek_2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 46233_KingsSutton.jpg
    46233_KingsSutton.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lostwin(m)

Last Saturday's appearance of B1 "Mayflower", buoyed my appetite for steam. This week has returned to "dismal" - so here are a few (recent or recent-ish) shots to lift the spirits.
Super stuff!. i'm a sucker for a telephoto shot - maybe because I never owned one at the time - and 46233 at Kings Sutton really demonstrates the impact of this type of lens. I also really like the image of 925 at Mid Hants, an unusual angle and the green on green works great in colour. Good to see some sunshine too!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Branch Line Society's excursion from Eastleigh to Exeter, via Portsmouth Harbour and Bath - a clean train complemented with (finally!) some fine coastal weather.

On the first leg, the crew awaits the green light for their short route eastward, from Cosham to Portsmouth Harbour.
40 minutes later and now Crompton led, the train accelerates westward past Cosham.

Attachments

• Cosham_drivers_.jpg
    Cosham_drivers_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 27
  • 33012_Cosham_.jpg
    33012_Cosham_.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 33
  • 73136_Cosham_1_.jpg
    73136_Cosham_1_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Branch Line Society's excursion from Eastleigh to Exeter, via Portsmouth Harbour and Bath - a clean train complemented with (finally!) some fine coastal weather.

On the first leg, the crew awaits the green light for their short route eastward, from Cosham to Portsmouth Harbour.
40 minutes later and now Crompton led, the train accelerates westward past Cosham.
Super pictures! I do love a 'Little ED' and the shot with the crew is beautifully lit.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Many thanks @lostwin(m) :) The first leg arrived just after 7am and shadows were a challenge. I took a fairly "head-on" shot of the 73, in full sun, from a footbridge at the other end of the station. Then I walked to the front, for the side-lit shot to capture the features of the crew and loco's pipework.
The shadows were receding when the trip made its way back from Portsmouth (I wish Network Rail had trimmed that black tree branch more thoroughly; I find it too distracting to the 73).

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Many thanks @lostwin(m) :) The first leg arrived just after 7am and shadows were a challenge. I took a fairly "head-on" shot in full sun, of the 73, from a footbridge at the other end of the station. Then I walked to the front, for the side-lit shot to capture the features of the crew and loco's pipework.
The shadows were receding when the trip made its way back from Portsmouth (I wish Network Rail had trimmed that black tree branch more thoroughly; I find it too distracting to the 73).
I've been known to do a bit of tree pruning in Photoshop...

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Excellent as aver.
Looks like they forgot to empty the wagon nearest the loco.
Many thanks. The Chichester turn quite often returns part-loaded. The load usually (but not always) is a standard 14 bogies. Today's return trip, the rear 10 were empty but the front 4 were still full.
Perhaps Chichester terminal simply takes what it needs "on demand" and sends back what it doesn’t expect to use. Not the most productive operating model, I'd think.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
A second day of fine conditions, meant an excuse to capture two colourful workings.

GBRf's most recently painted 69, drags another "Arterio" unit from Wimbledon Park depot to Marchwood for its continued storage.
Originally intended to commence SWR's operation mid-2019, significant delays to delivery and acceptance means that the vast majority of this fleet has yet to turn a wheel in revenue-earning service.

The third of Branch Line Society's May trips using Crompton D6512. This colourful combination heads to Swanage, for its upcoming Diesel Gala.

Attachments

• 69011_701019_Totton_.jpg
    69011_701019_Totton_.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 33012_69002_73109_Totton_.jpg
    33012_69002_73109_Totton_.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
My current photo "challenge", to capture the human factors of the railway.

This weekend, track infrastructure upgrade work on the West Coastway.
Saturday's focus is between Havant and Warblington; it must be exhausting in the swelter of today.

Attachments

• Warblington_NRworkers_2.JPG
    Warblington_NRworkers_2.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • Warblington_NRworkers_3.JPG
    Warblington_NRworkers_3.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • Warblington_NRworkers_4_.jpg
    Warblington_NRworkers_4_.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 6
  • Warblington_NRworkers_5.JPG
    Warblington_NRworkers_5.JPG