• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Fleet (LSL) updates

Killingworth

Established Member
A thought crossed my mind on this topic - could LSL not start using their steam fleet actively on Statesman pullman duties? Perhaps similar to how the Northern belle is currently getting haulage behind kettles quite frequently. Surely combining a luxury Pullman set with Britannia or the likes would attract a larger audience?

I feel like LSL specifically market the Statesman as diesel hauled - their Stuart's were advertising it as such when I was last on a Saphos tour last year, but I'm not sure why they'd limit it to diesels.

My best guess as to why kettles aren't used on the Statesman is the increased operational costs not being offset by increase in revenue though I'm not sure

LSL do exactly that with their steam hauled Saphos brand; https://saphostrains.com/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
A thought crossed my mind on this topic - could LSL not start using their steam fleet actively on Statesman pullman duties? Perhaps similar to how the Northern belle is currently getting haulage behind kettles quite frequently. Surely combining a luxury Pullman set with Britannia or the likes would attract a larger audience?

I feel like LSL specifically market the Statesman as diesel hauled - their Stuart's were advertising it as such when I was last on a Saphos tour last year, but I'm not sure why they'd limit it to diesels.

My best guess as to why kettles aren't used on the Statesman is the increased operational costs not being offset by increase in revenue though I'm not sure

They already user their steam fleet on the Saphos and the Steam Dreams brands. No need for kettles on the Statesman as well. I do plenty of Statesman trains and if they started using steam, I wouldn't be doing any more.

Rail Quest

I do plenty of Statesman trains and if they started using steam, I wouldn't be doing any more.
How so? I may be a diesel head, myself, but I wouldn't be deterred by steam haulage. I honestly it suits the kind of premium dining service the Statesman offers

12LDA28C

Established Member
How so? I may be a diesel head, myself, but I wouldn't be deterred by steam haulage. I honestly it suits the kind of premium dining service the Statesman offers

Because I'm literally only there for the diesel. Zero interest in steam. As explained, they already operate two steam brands. Can you imagine the extra pathing they would need running a tour such as a Derby - Penzance Statesman if it was steam-hauled? Several water stops, slower path, nowhere to turn the steam loco for the return journey, etc etc.

alexl92

Established Member
It does seem to me though that they have a few different diesel hauled options - the Pullman, Statesman, Intercity - but only one Steam-friendly set which strikes me as odd given how big their fleet is.

Iskra

Established Member
Diesel can travel faster, further, more reliably and with less operational and logistical constraints, it makes perfect sense when the dining and destination are the attraction and pick up points are a distance from the main base. It allows a broader variety of joining stations to be served. Until Statesman isn’t selling out, then it’s difficult to argue against the presence of diesel traction.

Last edited:

Rail Quest

Diesel can travel faster, further, more reliably and with less operational and logistical constraints, it makes perfect sense when the dining and destination are the attraction and pick up points are a distance from the main base. It allows a broader variety of joining stations to be served. Until Statesman isn’t selling out, then it’s difficult to argue against the presence of diesel traction.
Fair point. Reliability being backed up by the failure of Britannia at Carlisle today.

12LDA28C

Established Member
It does seem to me though that they have a few different diesel hauled options - the Pullman, Statesman, Intercity - but only one Steam-friendly set which strikes me as odd given how big their fleet is.

Depends what you call 'steam-friendly' and I assume you mean Mk1s, although of course an air-braked steam loco can also haul Mk2s and Mk3s if required, and indeed has done several times on LSL-operated tours.

Speed43125

Depends what you call 'steam-friendly' and I assume you mean Mk1s, although of course an air-braked steam loco can also haul Mk2s and Mk3s if required, and indeed has done several times on LSL-operated tours.
Does look a little odd when you've got mk.3s behind a kettle though:

I wonder if LSL's more premium market position makes it actually harder rather than more straightforward to transition customers to accepting more modern rolling stock.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I wonder if LSL's more premium market position makes it actually harder rather than more straightforward to transition customers to accepting more modern rolling stock.

Those paying top dollar for the full dining experience probably won't care whether they're seated in a Mk1 FO or a Mk2 or Mk3, as long as the wine keeps flowing...

alexl92

Established Member
I’m more thinking of the negative press the other year when they ran some steam dreams tours with the MK3 intercity set - it didn’t look the part inside or out.

Even if your punters don’t care about the difference between mk1 and mk3 stock, I think if they’re riding behind a classic steam loco, they don’t want it to feel like they’re commuting to Birmingham in the 80s inside the carriage, they want to feel like they’re somewhere in the 30s - 60s (or a rose-tinted view thereof).

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
45118 is now ready at Barrow Hill, should be moving to Crewe towards the end of April

Attachments

• IMG-20240415-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240415-WA0001.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG-20240415-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240415-WA0002.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 62

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Surely the different LSL branded excursions have a different price point. If you want steam you pay more for steam.
Those paying top dollar for the full dining experience probably won't care whether they're seated in a Mk1 FO or a Mk2 or Mk3, as long as the wine keeps flowing...
exactly!

I wonder what the next tour to be announced will be? I'm surprised that there hasn't been more use of the new class 20s

Iskra

Established Member
I've been really hoping for some with the choppers. Hopefully dreams come true! Perhaps the 60mph top speed is an operational challenge for using em
Pathfinder apparently looking into a Class 20 tour too, presumably Skegness.

Not much going for fans of Class 20’s this year, so I’ll definitely be supporting any that run.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Surely the different LSL branded excursions have a different price point. If you want steam you pay more for steam.

Actually, no. Prices for the Statesman (diesel-hauled) and Midland Pullman (HST) are £195 for First Class and £395 for Full Dining. Exactly the same prices are charged for the steam-hauled Saphos tours although they also feature Standard Class accommodation at a cheaper price of £165 per person.

I've been really hoping for some with the choppers. Hopefully dreams come true! Perhaps the 60mph top speed is an operational challenge for using em

60mph?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Actually, no. Prices for the Statesman (diesel-hauled) and Midland Pullman (HST) are £195 for First Class and £395 for Full Dining. Exactly the same prices are charged for the steam-hauled Saphos tours although they also feature Standard Class accommodation at a cheaper price of £165 per person.
Thanks, that is interesting - I haven't been on an LSL tour as I don't like the political position of the owner. Same as Weatherspoons.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Thanks, that is interesting - I haven't been on an LSL tour as I don't like the political position of the owner. Same as Weatherspoons.

Whatever the owner's political position, he's done a lot for keeping heritage traction active on the main line and keeping traditional skills and craftsmanship alive and well within the workshops at Crewe and elsewhere. If I based all my decisions about activities I engaged in and how I spent my money on other people's political viewpoints, I'd probably never leave the house.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Whatever the owner's political position, he's done a lot for keeping heritage traction active on the main line and keeping traditional skills and craftsmanship alive and well within the workshops at Crewe and elsewhere. If I based all my decisions about activities I engaged in and how I spent my money on other people's political viewpoints, I'd probably never leave the house.
each to thier own. I don't want to derail this thread so will leave it there.

Pathfinder apparently looking into a Class 20 tour too, presumably Skegness.

Not much going for fans of Class 20’s this year, so I’ll definitely be supporting any that run.
Yay skegness again, vintage did that a couple of years ago, somewhere new would be nice